Should I get a new spare with my set of tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Should I get a new spare with my set of tires?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
xSHAWNx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Should I get a new spare with my set of tires?

My current spare is the stock 30x9.5 and I'm looking to upgrade my tires to 33x12.5's. should I bother with getting a new spare to match?

Unread 06-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have an LSD rear differential? Or auto lockers or lunchbox locker in either axle?

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
xSHAWNx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
Do you have an LSD rear differential? Or auto lockers or lunchbox locker in either axle?
What does that have to do with buying a spare tire?
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Knock on wood. I've never carried a spare in my JEEP for the past 33 years.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSHAWNx View Post
What does that have to do with buying a spare tire?
If you have any of those you'll want your spare to be the same size....just like you'll want to be sure the psi in the tires all match....you don't want one size of the axle trying to spin faster than the the other, when going in a straight line.

Tiny spares look stupid. Get 5 new tires and rotate the spare into use, that's how I do it.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yes. The first time you have to use it you will be glad you got a matching spare.

If your current spare is in good shape, maybe somebody with tires that size might want to buy it for a spare; especially if they're running one of those full-size temporary spares. Might shave a few bucks off the purchase of a fifth wheel/tire combo.

I just bought five new wheels and tires (not four) for my Doge truck; going up in size from a 265/75/16 to a 285/75/16.
truck-tires.jpg  
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
xSHAWNx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Actually I guess I have no choice really, cause I can't run with one 30" and the others being 33.
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
Zolt
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes they all need to be the same size.

Tire dealer might have a used one the correct size if you can't afford the price of new.
Zolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I agree that the spare should be the same size/type as the others, but there are a couple of options.

I would only buy 5 matching new tires, IF I planned to do a 5-tire rotation. This keeps that 5th new tire from going to waste and dry rotting like many do. Also if you damage a tire, you have a replacement with the same wear, ready to take its place.

If you don't plan to do a 5-tire rotation or if money is an issue, buy a used tire of the same size/type as a spare. Used tires can by found on CraigsList, etc.
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm planning on getting a matching spare when it is time for a rotation. If you're looking to save a little cost, and risk running without a full size spare until your first rotation, that may be the way to go. But mine were only going from 30-9.50 to 31-10.50. Buying 4 at once, and then 1 more a few months down the line spreads the cost out.
Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.