Should I Cut My Jeep in Half and Build a Brute? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Should I Cut My Jeep in Half and Build a Brute?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

View Poll Results: Should I Cut my TJ in Half and Build a Brute?
Yes 70 67.31%
No 34 32.69%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 06-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #46
Matt@Flowmaster
Vendor

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfr View Post
I haven't built a brute, but I have halved a tj using AEV's method as outlined in the brute build instructions. If it were me I would not attempt to chemically strip the line-X. Just use an angle grinder with a knotted wire brush and wear it down an inch or two from the cuts/ welds. After welding hit it with the grinder again to remove any scorched liner. When you are ready for paint, take it back to line-x and have the entire close out interior lined.
Also, the disassembly is kind rough on the discarded part of the tub. I would consider the rear part of the tub (from the rear axle back, not from the waterfall) to be useful for building a trailer. Primarily as a close out for another tj tub.
After reading through your build, and looking at that pic of the T1 22" stretch, I'm beginning to think that the 15" stretch with a Brute hardtop and custom bulkhead could be pretty sweet.

Phone: (707)-544-4761 M-F 6AM – 5PM PST Sat 7:30AM – 5PM PST
automotiveforums@dpbrands.com
Matt@Flowmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #47
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I love brutes
I have a clean 01 that I wanna brute but my friends say find another Tj to cut... Tough call.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #48
pierps
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wouldn't you prefer to start with a clean Jeep than one that's jacked up?

No offense to any of us, but TJ's are hardly collectable vehicles. If we were talking about a collectable car (or one that has potential to be collectable like a Rubicon LJ maybe), then definitely, start with one that's already a mess because you're adding value, not destroying it by molesting a pristine vehicle.

But a regular TJ? I think I'd rather start with a nice clean rig than a messed up one... way less work!
pierps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #49
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The only issue with the liner is at the cab close out. Its not like you have to remove it all. Just clean up enough for the welding and paint.
Unread 06-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #50
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierps View Post

No offense to any of us, but TJ's are hardly collectable vehicles. If we were talking about a collectable car (or one that has potential to be collectable like a Rubicon LJ maybe), then definitely, start with one that's already a mess because you're adding value, not destroying it by molesting a pristine vehicle.

But a regular TJ? I think I'd rather start with a nice clean rig than a messed up one... way less work!
Might be more work, but you could probably sell the nice TJ and pick up one that's a bit beat up for less, and have $$ to get you started with the kit, or tools that you don't have and will need, or just beer money or whatever.

I say that with one caveat. If you're not going to wheel it, and are just going to pick up groceries or take it to shows, or maybe take it on mild wheeling/camping trips, then yea cut up the nice jeep. If you're gonna wheel it hard, why start with a nice jeep? It's just gonna get beat up anyway.
Unread 06-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #51
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah but I have zero rust, adult driven Tj that has all matching records with no broken bolts... It's tough to take a sawzall to. But, I never carry extra passengers and my backseat stays out 80% of the year. The truck bed for carrying gear is a plus and the smaller cab keeps the ac in better and way less road noise- plus, it's still a jeep!

I would keep lift at 3 inches with metalcloak flares front and rear which I already have. That and a front metal cloak bumper with a custom rear bumper would be my brute touches. I could even turbo the 2.5 and have a modern Tj Comanche wanna be!
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2014, 10:59 AM   #52
Matt@Flowmaster
Vendor

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierps View Post

Agreed. Although my Jeep looks pretty good now, it started off as a stock black Sport a few years back. I'm not so concerned with cutting up the Jeep. I just really want to walk through my options to make this build as well thought out as possible. Honestly, I'm beginning to reconsider the Brute build and thinking about the possibility of a 15" to 22" tub stretch. Maybe I'll land somewhere in between and go for 18.7" of stretch to create a 112" wheelbase like AEV used to produce and use the Brute hardtop to create a TJ Scrambler of sorts?

Phone: (707)-544-4761 M-F 6AM – 5PM PST Sat 7:30AM – 5PM PST
automotiveforums@dpbrands.com
Matt@Flowmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #53
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Flowmaster View Post

Agreed. Although my Jeep looks pretty good now, it started off as a stock black Sport a few years back. I'm not so concerned with cutting up the Jeep. I just really want to walk through my options to make this build as well thought out as possible. Honestly, I'm beginning to reconsider the Brute build and thinking about the possibility of a 15" to 22" tub stretch. Maybe I'll land somewhere in between and go for 18.7" of stretch to create a 112" wheelbase like AEV used to produce and use the Brute hardtop to create a TJ Scrambler of sorts?
That's an option but if I were going to spend money to have it done I'd go with the clean look of the brute kit. Just hard to beat the mean look of them.
Ljcrawler05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #54
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Instead of a Brute, you could always go for a retro look and build a modern version of a Willys pickup...

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #55
ALL_MTN
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
Instead of a Brute, you could always go for a retro look and build a modern version of a Willys pickup...

ALL_MTN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2014, 04:56 AM   #56
TJSIDNEY
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Gr8 Top and forget it.. I am with the Boogieman on this one.. keep the shorter wheel base if your gonna wheel it.. but it's totally up to you OP. my 2 cents
Unread 06-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #57
jski701
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Love the brute trucks, and I think the better the starting platform, the easier the job will be.

Can't wait to follow your build
jski701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #58
nhdiesel

I rarely have time to get to this site but because a Brute conversion is something I've drooled over, I wanted to check out this thread. Here are my thoughts:

-From a practical standpoint (yes, even Jeep owners can be practical sometimes) the longer wheelbase can improve function. A slightly longer wheelbase helps with stability when climbing obstacles and doing some off camber maneuvers. It will handle better on the road and ride better overall. There is a slight downside if you do really tight wooded trails where a short wheelbase comes in very handy.

-I disagree with those suggesting to start with a beater. You will be investing $10k+ to do the conversion. Do you want to put that into a piece of junk? If you start with an older, high mileage, well worn Jeep that $10k will easily double. Once done you will want to do the rest of the bodywork so it looks good, instead of just a long wheelbase beater. Then you have a nice looking Jeep on the outside- need to do the interior to fix the worn seats ,beat up dash, etc. Of course that worn out engine will have to go, and better go through the brakes, axle seals, bearings, etc. Of course after all that you need some cool accessories, so add in bumpers, winch, tires, lift... You already have all that. If you really want a Brute conversion, do it to a nice Jeep you already know the history of.
nhdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #59
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSIDNEY View Post
Gr8 Top and forget it.. I am with the Boogieman on this one.. keep the shorter wheel base if your gonna wheel it.. but it's totally up to you OP. my 2 cents
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2014, 08:12 AM   #60
wranglerJack22

Why be so cheap?
Wifey & I made a trip to Detroit area and went to the AEV dealer and seen 40 or so of them in various stages of development.
we wandered around there in amazement and awe!
Mouths wide open and drooling.

Talked to a salesman who went thru what costs what and Found out that for a mere $130,000.oo or so we could drive away with a brand new Bada$$ Brute!

We unloaded our cash and spent $3,000.oo for bumpers and a few do dads and what nots.

Loaded the Ford 150 up and off back to Canada with our boxes. They made us pay duty or customs whatever they call it and I took a couple of days in the dead of winter to install the upgrades.

OUTSTANDING products and fits PERFECTLY.
Happy Wifey and well worth the $$$ for the value.

If you have to ask well then ??
Like asking someone else if you should grow a mustache?

Don't be afraid of fear?
A grinder with a wire wheel will get rid of the lineX.
Hammer chisel or a air powered chisel and lots of elbow grease .
Yup lotsa a work .
BUT if the end result will be satisfaction!
Priceless.
those for sale Brutes will be around and DON'T EXPECT to make $$$ off of it when selling.
FUN FACTOR and PRIDE in the done it myself is where the benefits are.

You just need a PUSH to get past the point of no return .
And then you have to finish it.

PLUS when driving the embarrassing little ford around will give you more incentive to finish the project!

Have fun
wranglerJack22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
brute , exhaust , flowmaster , technology

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.