Should I Cut My Jeep in Half and Build a Brute? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Should I Cut My Jeep in Half and Build a Brute?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

View Poll Results: Should I Cut my TJ in Half and Build a Brute?
Yes 70 67.31%
No 34 32.69%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 06-23-2014, 02:11 PM   #16
pierps
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The linex is definitely the least of your worries my friend. Aircraft stripper might remove it easily. Just call the linex shop and ask them how to strip it.

To me, it comes down to money. If I had the disposable income after savings/etc, AND there wasn't anything else I'd rather spend that money on, then yeah, I'd do it. But that's a lot of conditions!

Also keep in mind that you're unlikely to recoup your "investment" when you sell the rig, and you will need special insurance to keep the rig from getting valued at blue book if you get into an accident. In other words, with standard insurance, your jeep will be totaled by the insurance company very easily if you get into an accident.

The other factor is your intended use. Are you drawn to doing this just because it's cool, or do you actually want a pickup truck? If you want a pickup, obviously there are much cheaper alternatives.

Do you wheel a lot? If so, on what terrain? Because this lengthens the wheel base of the rig significantly, so it will be much less maneuverable and more likely to get high centered after the conversion.

I guess my point is, no pragmatic/logical person would do this conversion. So it comes down to the emotional side. How much would you enjoy the rig afterwards? Enough to justify the money?

For me, the answer is a resounding no. But it's a matter of opinion.

pierps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #17
Matt@Flowmaster
Vendor

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierps View Post
The linex is definitely the least of your worries my friend. Aircraft stripper might remove it easily. Just call the linex shop and ask them how to strip it.

To me, it comes down to money. If I had the disposable income after savings/etc, AND there wasn't anything else I'd rather spend that money on, then yeah, I'd do it. But that's a lot of conditions!

Also keep in mind that you're unlikely to recoup your "investment" when you sell the rig, and you will need special insurance to keep the rig from getting valued at blue book if you get into an accident. In other words, with standard insurance, your jeep will be totaled by the insurance company very easily if you get into an accident.

The other factor is your intended use. Are you drawn to doing this just because it's cool, or do you actually want a pickup truck? If you want a pickup, obviously there are much cheaper alternatives.

Do you wheel a lot? If so, on what terrain? Because this lengthens the wheel base of the rig significantly, so it will be much less maneuverable and more likely to get high centered after the conversion.

I guess my point is, no pragmatic/logical person would do this conversion. So it comes down to the emotional side. How much would you enjoy the rig afterwards? Enough to justify the money?

You bring up a lot of valid points. Thanks for the insights. This was the reason I started the thread. I love the idea of the Brute and the utility of a pickup, but there are a lot of trade-offs.

Phone: (707)-544-4761 M-F 6AM 5PM PST Sat 7:30AM 5PM PST
automotiveforums@dpbrands.com
Matt@Flowmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #18
nacheswheelin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

With a camper

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...890da6f842.jpg
Unread 06-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #19
Matt@Flowmaster
Vendor

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacheswheelin View Post
That is nice!

Unread 06-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #20
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

From your arguments nobody should own a Jeep
Unread 06-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #21
pierps
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
Not at all. Read the last handful sentences in my post.

My point is that you cannot base the decision on logic and money; it must come down to the individual's personal enjoyment of the rig, which is purely emotional.

I spend a lot of money on my jeep. It's definitely not logical from a financial standpoint. But I do it because I enjoy it (the emotional side). But everybody has a threshold where the $ is no longer worth that enjoyment. It's different for everybody.

For me, in the case of the Brute, it's well past my personal threshold. It's enough money that I could retire years earlier if I invest it now. I'd rather work a few years less than have a Brute. Others may disagree, but since it's a matter of opinion, largely based on emotion and the individual's financial means, it really doesn't matter what I think. The only opinion that matters is the opinion of the person plunking down the cash!

pierps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #22
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have always loved the tj brute builds, and am always excited to see them take form. I say go for it!!!
Ljcrawler05 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #23
richardprovince
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Personally I wouldn't. Thing just looks to damn cool as is.
I like the brute's don't get me wrong, but I can't see chopping up that gem

mine on the other hand...
richardprovince is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #24
Matt@Flowmaster
Vendor

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
Quote:
Not at all. Read the last handful sentences in my post.

My point is that you cannot base the decision on logic and money; it must come down to the individual's personal enjoyment of the rig, which is purely emotional.

I spend a lot of money on my jeep. It's definitely not logical from a financial standpoint. But I do it because I enjoy it (the emotional side). But everybody has a threshold where the $ is no longer worth that enjoyment. It's different for everybody.

For me, in the case of the Brute, it's well past my personal threshold. It's enough money that I could retire years earlier if I invest it now. I'd rather work a few years less than have a Brute. Others may disagree, but since it's a matter of opinion, largely based on emotion and the individual's financial means, it really doesn't matter what I think. The only opinion that matters is the opinion of the person plunking down the cash!

I'm looking at this "possible" build the way that a lot of people probably look at hot rods. The Brute is a vehicle that I have always wanted to own. Some people like old Camaros, I like Jeep conversions. It is definitely a personal satisfaction thing. I'm really enjoying hearing some different opinions on this.

Unread 06-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #25
Matt@Flowmaster
Vendor

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardprovince View Post
Personally I wouldn't. Thing just looks to damn cool as is.
I like the brute's don't get me wrong, but I can't see chopping up that gem

mine on the other hand...
Ha! Thanks, man.

Unread 06-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #26
nacheswheelin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know I have to agree that starting with a nice platform will make it easier and most likely you will get better results.
Unread 06-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #27
bfr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't built a brute, but I have halved a tj using AEV's method as outlined in the brute build instructions. If it were me I would not attempt to chemically strip the line-X. Just use an angle grinder with a knotted wire brush and wear it down an inch or two from the cuts/ welds. After welding hit it with the grinder again to remove any scorched liner. When you are ready for paint, take it back to line-x and have the entire close out interior lined.

Also, the disassembly is kind rough on the discarded part of the tub. I would consider the rear part of the tub (from the rear axle back, not from the waterfall) to be useful for building a trailer. Primarily as a close out for another tj tub.
Unread 06-23-2014, 08:41 PM   #28
bfr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacheswheelin
I don't know I have to agree that starting with a nice platform will make it easier and most likely you will get better results.
I agree,
and, yes you should build a brute.
Unread 06-23-2014, 09:43 PM   #29
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It's your jeep, do what you want with it! Personally, I'd not want to hack up a brand new looking jeep like that. Looks like it's never been wheeled? Pick up a beater jeep, and hack that up.

I realize this post is probably more of a flowmaster advertisement/billboard in disguise than anything else, or are you seriously going to leave the decision on what to do with your jeep to folks on the internet? Seriously, get a beater, and hack that up unless it's just going to be a show jeep.

About the line-x though, a Line-x shop should be able to blend/patch any areas that you have to strip. call or drive over to your linex shop and ask them, they will have all the answers if they know what they are doing. I suspect they will suggest a heavy gauge wire wheel, but I don't know for sure.
Unread 06-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #30
Matt@Flowmaster
Vendor

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfr View Post
I haven't built a brute, but I have halved a tj using AEV's method as outlined in the brute build instructions. If it were me I would not attempt to chemically strip the line-X. Just use an angle grinder with a knotted wire brush and wear it down an inch or two from the cuts/ welds. After welding hit it with the grinder again to remove any scorched liner. When you are ready for paint, take it back to line-x and have the entire close out interior lined.

Also, the disassembly is kind rough on the discarded part of the tub. I would consider the rear part of the tub (from the rear axle back, not from the waterfall) to be useful for building a trailer. Primarily as a close out for another tj tub.
What did you end up doing with your Jeep after you halved it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
It's your jeep, do what you want with it! Personally, I'd not want to hack up a brand new looking jeep like that. Looks like it's never been wheeled? Pick up a beater jeep, and hack that up.

I realize this post is probably more of a flowmaster advertisement/billboard in disguise than anything else, or are you seriously going to leave the decision on what to do with your jeep to folks on the internet? Seriously, get a beater, and hack that up unless it's just going to be a show jeep.

About the line-x though, a Line-x shop should be able to blend/patch any areas that you have to strip. call or drive over to your linex shop and ask them, they will have all the answers if they know what they are doing. I suspect they will suggest a heavy gauge wire wheel, but I don't know for sure.
I do work for Flowmaster, but this is my personal vehicle. I have spoken to a lot of people about this plan and many tell me that I'm crazy to want to cut up such a clean Jeep. Honestly, I knew that only fellow Jeep owners would understand why I would want to do this. My final decision isn't hinging on the poll in this thread, but everyone's opinions are giving me a more well-rounded idea of what I am considering undertaking.

Tags
brute , exhaust , flowmaster , technology

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.