Shocks: SkyJacker Hydros vs. Nitros vs. Others - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shocks: SkyJacker Hydros vs. Nitros vs. Others

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
willhbauto
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Shocks: SkyJacker Hydros vs. Nitros vs. Others

Ok, So I have the Pro-Comp ES3000 Shocks that came with my Pro-Comp Stage 1 lift, I know, I know I didn't know then what I know now, if I had it to do over again I would have went with the RE 4.5 kit with the 3.5 springs, way better product and value.

Anyways, the ES3000's ride like absolute crap!! They perform OK off-road, but they are very harsh and rough. I've been reading alot of good things in threads about the Skyjacker Softride Hydros, and the price on them is great at $135 for 4 with a $35 Rebate currently, so I'd like to get some reviews from people who have them, and I want to know what everyone thinks of the Nitro version of the same shock, and also any other shocks on the market they recommend.

This is a DD that does see moderate off-road use atleast once a week with big trips every now and then, I want something with capability but also a decent ride. Thanks in advance!!

Dana 44 Rear, 3.73 Gears, 4" ProComp Lift w/ Daystar 1 3/4" Spacer in front, Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks, JKS Quicker Disconnects, 33"x12.50" Pro Comp Xtreme M/T, R.C. Adj. Front Track Bar, RR 1/4" CA Mounts, Front Aussie Locker, Front/Rear Riddlers, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, Rokmen Power Steering Skid, Rusty's Radiator Skid, Rokmen Mercenary Front Bumper, Rokmen Mercenary Rocker Guards, Warn Engine/Oil Pan Skid, Tuff Designs Rear Tire Carrier/Bumper, Warn M8000 Winch, IPF H4 Headlight conversion w/ IPF Fatboy X55 bulbs
[U]Waiting to be installed:[/U]
*Rusty's Steering Box Support Brace
willhbauto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The Nitros will probably be about comparable to your Pro-Comp ES3000s, do not get the Nitros.

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Hydros. I think they are very close to stock shocks. My extra bounciness is due to the bigger tires.
I have heard that Nitros come with a free mouthguard so you don't bust out your teeth going over pebbles in the road.
Everything I need to fix on the heep: ABS indicator, speed 4 on the blower fan, torn softop over driver's head, both seat release/tilt cables, missing center cap on spare, broken under hood light, wire up the CB, wiring problem with the reverse lights, broken bottle jack, leaky front and rear pinion seals, loose trackbar relocation bracket, torn drivers seat on the side, broken center console lock, lost nuts for door hinges, squeaking centering ball, loose parking brake cable, oil change and rotate the tires.
My build threadhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/free-wife-good-home-pics-included-528892/
dogbluedrummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
willhbauto
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbluedrummer View Post
I have the Hydros. I think they are very close to stock shocks. My extra bounciness is due to the bigger tires.
I have heard that Nitros come with a free mouthguard so you don't bust out your teeth going over pebbles in the road.
Haha, I allready have mine since owning these Pro-comps, do your Hydros ride good? And how do they perform off-road? I have 33's myself so I'm not worried about bounciness as much as roughness.
Dana 44 Rear, 3.73 Gears, 4" ProComp Lift w/ Daystar 1 3/4" Spacer in front, Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks, JKS Quicker Disconnects, 33"x12.50" Pro Comp Xtreme M/T, R.C. Adj. Front Track Bar, RR 1/4" CA Mounts, Front Aussie Locker, Front/Rear Riddlers, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, Rokmen Power Steering Skid, Rusty's Radiator Skid, Rokmen Mercenary Front Bumper, Rokmen Mercenary Rocker Guards, Warn Engine/Oil Pan Skid, Tuff Designs Rear Tire Carrier/Bumper, Warn M8000 Winch, IPF H4 Headlight conversion w/ IPF Fatboy X55 bulbs
Unread 03-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've not had it offroad yet. Hopefully this weekend. I did do some muddy trails the other day, and it was smooth as a baby's bottom. Also, the day after the install I drove 250 miles on the interstate - floated like a Caddy.
Everything I need to fix on the heep: ABS indicator, speed 4 on the blower fan, torn softop over driver's head, both seat release/tilt cables, missing center cap on spare, broken under hood light, wire up the CB, wiring problem with the reverse lights, broken bottle jack, leaky front and rear pinion seals, loose trackbar relocation bracket, torn drivers seat on the side, broken center console lock, lost nuts for door hinges, squeaking centering ball, loose parking brake cable, oil change and rotate the tires.
My build threadhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528892
dogbluedrummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
97MilitaryTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just threw away my Nitro's and installed a set of SkyJacker hydro and a hydro dual stabalizer set-up and it ride night and day away from the Nitro. Would recommend 100% for the Hydro's...

[B]BLACK JEEP CLUB MEMBER #1997[/B]
[B]2008 National Topless Day Participant #1[/B]
[******][/******]
97MilitaryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
willhbauto
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbluedrummer View Post
I've not had it offroad yet. Hopefully this weekend. I did do some muddy trails the other day, and it was smooth as a baby's bottom. Also, the day after the install I drove 250 miles on the interstate - floated like a Caddy.
Let me know how they are on Rocks and choppy ground when you take it out this weekend. Thanks!
Unread 03-11-2008, 11:56 PM   #8
willhbauto
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody else? Could really use the advice!
Unread 03-12-2008, 04:35 AM   #9
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhbauto View Post
Anybody else? Could really use the advice!
OME if you want to sink $80 for each shock! Otherwise Skyjacker hydros ride as good as stock or better.I have had both (hydros & nitros).I lost 10lbs with the nitros from all the shaking and bouncing my jeep did.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2008, 05:48 AM   #10
abnormal
Platinum Member

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I got the hydro's a while back and I love the way they ride compared to the rubicon express shocks that came with the bb I have. The biggest difference was when I added a bumper/tire carrier and a 33" tire to the back. That added weight makes it ride alot better!
Unread 03-12-2008, 08:25 AM   #11
Jetscuh
O rly?

I have the skyjacker nitro's on my Jeep.

Everyone complains about them it seems and claims it is a terrible ride on the road.

Well it's really not. IMO. I don't find it to be that bad. Sure, it's a little stiff, but it's a Jeep so I am not expecting a smooth ride really. I feel that they perform off road better than the hydro's. I like the fact that the nitro's have compression. I don't think I would ever have hydro's. And this Jeep is my DD btw. I would go with the Nitro's. We just put my oldish ones on an XJ and like the way it handles a lot better compared to the Hydro's that were on it from Rusty's.

Now, if you do go skyjacker make sure to paint or clear coat those shocks. They are prone to rusting. I see it a lot. My first ones did and the new ones that I put on not to long ago and clear coated so I think they will be better.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #12
willhbauto
2001 TJ Wrangler 

OK, well I ordered my Skyjacker Hydros, should be here tomorrow, I'll let everyone know how much better they ride.
Unread 04-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #13
snowmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhbauto View Post
OK, well I ordered my Skyjacker Hydros, should be here tomorrow, I'll let everyone know how much better they ride.
whats the consensus? im looking at getting these.
snowmon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #14
willhbauto
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, yeah, I've had them on for about a month now, couldn't be happier! You won't be disappointed, great ride, and performs way better off-road.
Unread 04-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #15
GOLDJ33P

i ran the procomp es3000 for a month on my 2'' lift.. when i got my acos spacers i upgraded my shocks to the RE monotubes..

great riding shocks.. i HIGHLY recommend them
GOLDJ33P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.