Shocks - Skyjacker Hydros - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shocks - Skyjacker Hydros

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-03-2010, 04:25 AM   #1
Ghaniba
1998 ZJ 

Shocks - Skyjacker Hydros

Yesterday I installed new shocks. I removed the Rough Country shocks that came with my 2yr old-ish 4" lift. They were NOT the 2.2s. One of them I folded a bit, so replacement was necessary.

My goal was to find a shock that would finish out this season of wheeling, as I want to do a long arm kit over this winter, and possibly new axles. I didn't want to spend a ton of cash on something that I reasonably need for 3-5 months.

I decided on Skyjacker Hydros.

I am absolutely LOVING these shocks. It made my jeep roll on the street AND on the trails like a big comfy Mercedes. It has taken away all the harsh hopping and replaced it with a smooth transition. I haven't tried anything technical yet, but I went down a little test trac with lots of whooptie-doos (used for local dirt bikers, mainly)

I was going to get the higher priced Nitro shocks but read that they were harsh, too.

I can't believe how smooth of a ride my short arm 4" lifted jeep is.

I ended up buying them from Quadratec after not finding them much cheaper anywhere else, and quadratec does get stuff to my house next day, with ground shipping selected...

Here's what my invoice looked like:

QTY ITEM DESCRIPTION $ AMOUNT

2 16016 106 SKYJACKER HYDRO SHOCK H7025R 73.98
2 16016 107 SKYJACKER HYDRO SHOCK H7028R 73.98
PRODUCT 147.96
TAX 0.00
POSTAGE & HANDLING 25.99
VISA TOTAL $ 173.95

For under $200, it's the -best- money I've spent on my jeep. Had I known I would have put them on a year ago. I can't say enough about it!!!

Dave aka Ghan

Ghaniba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
2kbeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would have chosen a different shock. I don't know why anyone would recommend them or give them high marks. To each his own. I think they ride like wore out shocks. I think skyjacker buys all the rejects and cleans them up and sells them as new. Total junk in my book. My .02
2kbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 06:02 AM   #3
yarmish
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I love my skyjacker hydros as do several others in my club. They ride GREAT and are inexpensive. Now the skyjacker nitros ride like your axles are welded to the frame
Unread 07-03-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

They ride pretty nice on my junk also.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

They are very good riding shocks.I sold a set(under 3000 miles) to a member here for $80 shipped.You can get them new for $147 shipped.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kbeep View Post
I would have chosen a different shock. I don't know why anyone would recommend them or give them high marks. To each his own. I think they ride like wore out shocks. I think skyjacker buys all the rejects and cleans them up and sells them as new. Total junk in my book. My .02
Sorry but they make the 2.2 shocks look like ****.
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
bciocco
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The first thing I did to my jeep was Hydro Shocks. They really improved the ride.
bciocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

edit: I see the price was pairs...

(don't see a delete button, whats up with that...)
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
2kbeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

2.2s are gold compared to the hydros
Unread 07-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
2.2s are gold compared to the hydros
Not very many at all would agree with that but to each his own.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
monkeee2002
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaniba View Post
Yesterday I installed new shocks. I removed the Rough Country shocks that came with my 2yr old-ish 4" lift. They were NOT the 2.2s. One of them I folded a bit, so replacement was necessary.

My goal was to find a shock that would finish out this season of wheeling, as I want to do a long arm kit over this winter, and possibly new axles. I didn't want to spend a ton of cash on something that I reasonably need for 3-5 months.

I decided on Skyjacker Hydros.

I am absolutely LOVING these shocks. It made my jeep roll on the street AND on the trails like a big comfy Mercedes. It has taken away all the harsh hopping and replaced it with a smooth transition. I haven't tried anything technical yet, but I went down a little test trac with lots of whooptie-doos (used for local dirt bikers, mainly)

I was going to get the higher priced Nitro shocks but read that they were harsh, too.
For under $200, it's the -best- money I've spent on my jeep. Had I known I would have put them on a year ago. I can't say enough about it!!!

Dave aka Ghan
Thanks for posting this! I've been shopping around for shocks, and I'm looking for a cushy ride.
I installed an OME lift on my previous ride -'97 Tacoma- and that thing rode like my seat was bolted to the axle afterward.
Unread 07-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
Zackb911
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced my week old 2.2's with SJ Hydros and I'm glad I did.

*FYI: I called SJ and they do not recommend mounting the Hydros upside down in the rear.
Zackb911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #13
2kbeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Not very many at all would agree with that but to each his own.
I knew you'd say that Jerry. Just can't stand the hydros. I know others have rode in high priced cars or trucks with primo suspension but the hydros just won't do it for me. Yes to each his own.
Unread 07-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #14
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I knew you'd say that Jerry. Just can't stand the hydros. I know others have rode in high priced cars or trucks with primo suspension but the hydros just won't do it for me. Yes to each his own.
Sounds like you're saying that it has to ride harsh and rough to make you happy?

If I may suggest, if a person doesn't prefer a soft ride but does want control and compliance and doesn't want their kidneys trying to escape out their ears, Bils 5100s are awesome. Firm and smooth at the same time.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #15
2kbeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
Sounds like you're saying that it has to ride harsh and rough to make you happy?

If I may suggest, if a person doesn't prefer a soft ride but does want control and compliance and doesn't want their kidneys trying to escape out their ears, Bils 5100s are awesome. Firm and smooth at the same time.
No I like a smooth ride just like the next guy but running the 2.2s for about a year they are alot better than the hydros IN MY OPINION. Reason I tried the hydros was due to reviews and I won't listen to them any more unless it's savvy or currie products.

Tags
shock , shocks , skyjacker

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.