Shocks on 2005 LJ advice - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shocks on 2005 LJ advice

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 07-26-2010, 03:26 AM   #16
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
I did a quick search and it yielded mainly SJ hydros, OME, and Rancho RS5000.

I have approximately 2" of lift from used OME springs that were given to me. Currently I am thinking about putting on a 1.25 BL which would bring me to around 3" of lift at the shocks.

Everyone's opinion varies about the shocks, and I'm thinking about going with SJ. They have some mixed reviews but mostly on the good side. The Nitro's are the bad one, but the Hydro's aren't bad. OME never fails but are the most expensive out of the group. Rancho is right in the middle. I might still go with Rancho.

The big question is can I get one of these brands of shocks that will work well with 2" of lift, but then also work well if I add a BL so then I have 3" of lift.

I'm just looking for some straight forwards answers to reassure myself before I commit.

I don't know what you've been reading, but no one has EVER recommended the kidnyey crunching Rancho5000s. The reviews are not mixed - Anything but those...

BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #17
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What shocks are you running right now? Stock? If you are looking for a decent set that won't break the bank, I'll recommend SJ Hydros, I run them. However, I know now I should have dropped a few more dollars and gotten some nicer riding shocks.

I feel you on the budget, but if you aren't going to replace springs for a while, get some Bilstein 5100s or Rancho 9000XLs like Blaine said - since you know first hand you approve of the ride quality.

Where are you going to school? I'll bet you end up driving more than you think...
zachbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #18
UnsanePyro
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The Savvy Unlimited has Rancho 9000XL's on it.

If you wanted to keep the cost down, your question should have been "Who makes the cheapest shock that won't die in a year?".
You can pick them up for around $350 online right now too, and get a $100 rebate on them through Rancho, putting them around $65/each in the end, not a bad deal from what I can see.
UnsanePyro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks , skyjacker , ome , old man emu , rancho , advice , help , lj , wrangler , lift , suspension

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.