Shocks on 2005 LJ advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shocks on 2005 LJ advice

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Shocks on 2005 LJ advice

I did a quick search and it yielded mainly SJ hydros, OME, and Rancho RS5000.

I have approximately 2" of lift from used OME springs that were given to me. Currently I am thinking about putting on a 1.25 BL which would bring me to around 3" of lift at the shocks.

Everyone's opinion varies about the shocks, and I'm thinking about going with SJ. They have some mixed reviews but mostly on the good side. The Nitro's are the bad one, but the Hydro's aren't bad. OME never fails but are the most expensive out of the group. Rancho is right in the middle. I might still go with Rancho.

The big question is can I get one of these brands of shocks that will work well with 2" of lift, but then also work well if I add a BL so then I have 3" of lift.

I'm just looking for some straight forwards answers to reassure myself before I commit.

Unread 07-25-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
makaioM3
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The BL will not change anything in relation to yur shocks or your choice of shocks, if you mean body lift. I have the Bilstien 5100 shocks on my Wrangler with a 4" Teraflex short arm kit and they make the ride awesome. For the most part you get what you pay for with shocks.
Unread 07-25-2010, 03:56 AM   #3
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

BL has no bearing on shocks. shocks mount to the frame/axle.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'll second the Bilsteins. As said, the shocks mount to the frame and a BL has no influence on their length.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
NycSneak
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have bilstein's on my 01 with a two inch lift and the ride is more comfortable and controlled. I have had them on for the last 50,000 miles...
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
jonesy02
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have Skyjacker Hydro's with my 3/2" lift, and i'm not happy with them at all.
I had Bilsteins on my last jeep, WAY better than these.
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
APEDZ04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

bilstein 5100's for sure
APEDZ04LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
I did a quick search and it yielded mainly SJ hydros, OME, and Rancho RS5000.

I have approximately 2" of lift from used OME springs that were given to me. Currently I am thinking about putting on a 1.25 BL which would bring me to around 3" of lift at the shocks.

Everyone's opinion varies about the shocks, and I'm thinking about going with SJ. They have some mixed reviews but mostly on the good side. The Nitro's are the bad one, but the Hydro's aren't bad. OME never fails but are the most expensive out of the group. Rancho is right in the middle. I might still go with Rancho.

The big question is can I get one of these brands of shocks that will work well with 2" of lift, but then also work well if I add a BL so then I have 3" of lift.

I'm just looking for some straight forwards answers to reassure myself before I commit.
You're kidding, right? Please tell me very precisely what there was about the Savvy Unlimited that bothered you with regard to the way it rode and handled?
Unread 07-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You're kidding, right? Please tell me very precisely what there was about the Savvy Unlimited that bothered you with regard to the way it rode and handled?
Nothing. It was absolutely perfect. But for right now I want to try and keep t he cost down on the shocks. I won't be keeping these forever.

I know Bilstein would be the way to go. If I get ones that will work now, will they also work when I get a bigger lift?
Unread 07-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
Jetscuh
O rly?

Quote:
Nothing. It was absolutely perfect. But for right now I want to try and keep t he cost down on the shocks. I won't be keeping these forever.

I know Bilstein would be the way to go. If I get ones that will work now, will they also work when I get a bigger lift?
It depends. You may get shocks now that will work with a bigger lift in the future. It depends what you consider to be a "bigger lift."

Some shocks will work for 2" of lift, some for 3" of lift, others for 5-6" of lift long arm suspension. I am referring to Bilstein here if you're wondering.

Skyjacker advertises some that work from 1-3" of lift, some for 4" and whatnot.

Basically, read the product description and it will tell you whether or not will work on a bigger lift.

If you are looking for shocks to get you through a year or so and you're not doing any wheeling then I'd say the Skyjacker Hydro would be alright if you're on a tight budget.

However, I'd go with Bilstein's any day if price isn't a factor. I have them on my TJ and I really do like them. For some reason, I feel as though you can rebuild those shocks as well...but sometimes I make things up.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I was thinking Skyjacker Hydro's for now just as a cheap shock to get me through. I won't be doing a whole heck of a lot of wheeling, just mainly driving on the road. Also being on college and living on campus I don't think I'll be driving it that much.

One day I will run Bilstein shocks. I want to mimic the Savvy LJ as far as my DD will go. That Jeep is set up basically perfect.
Unread 07-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #12
Jetscuh
O rly?

Quote:
I was thinking Skyjacker Hydro's for now just as a cheap shock to get me through. I won't be doing a whole heck of a lot of wheeling, just mainly driving on the road. Also being on college and living on campus I don't think I'll be driving it that much.

One day I will run Bilstein shocks. I want to mimic the Savvy LJ as far as my DD will go. That Jeep is set up basically perfect.
It is a nice rig for sure.

Like I mentioned, I like my Bilstein's. However, I used to be on Skyjacker Nitro's so I feel like anything would have made an improvement.

It sounds like the Skyjacker Hydro's might be a alright for now. Trust me, I know (unfortunately) what it's like to be on a college student's budget with a Jeep.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #13
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh View Post
It is a nice rig for sure.

Like I mentioned, I like my Bilstein's. However, I used to be on Skyjacker Nitro's so I feel like anything would have made an improvement.

It sounds like the Skyjacker Hydro's might be a alright for now. Trust me, I know (unfortunately) what it's like to be on a college student's budget with a Jeep.
Well, I just graduated high school and am becoming a college freshman.. I'm in trouble. This will be the end of the Jeep upgrades for a while.
Unread 07-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #14
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

The Savvy Unlimited has Rancho 9000XL's on it.

If you wanted to keep the cost down, your question should have been "Who makes the cheapest shock that won't die in a year?".
Unread 07-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #15
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The Savvy Unlimited has Rancho 9000XL's on it.

If you wanted to keep the cost down, your question should have been "Who makes the cheapest shock that won't die in a year?".
Who makes the cheapest shock that won't die in a year? and isn't that bad of a shock?

Tags
shocks , skyjacker , ome , old man emu , rancho , advice , help , lj , wrangler , lift , suspension

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.