JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Shocks on 2005 LJ advice (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/shocks-2005-lj-advice-1075949/)

DaleII 07-24-2010 11:45 PM

Shocks on 2005 LJ advice
 
I did a quick search and it yielded mainly SJ hydros, OME, and Rancho RS5000.

I have approximately 2" of lift from used OME springs that were given to me. Currently I am thinking about putting on a 1.25 BL which would bring me to around 3" of lift at the shocks.

Everyone's opinion varies about the shocks, and I'm thinking about going with SJ. They have some mixed reviews but mostly on the good side. The Nitro's are the bad one, but the Hydro's aren't bad. OME never fails but are the most expensive out of the group. Rancho is right in the middle. I might still go with Rancho.

The big question is can I get one of these brands of shocks that will work well with 2" of lift, but then also work well if I add a BL so then I have 3" of lift.

I'm just looking for some straight forwards answers to reassure myself before I commit. :cheers2:

makaioM3 07-25-2010 12:10 AM

The BL will not change anything in relation to yur shocks or your choice of shocks, if you mean body lift. I have the Bilstien 5100 shocks on my Wrangler with a 4" Teraflex short arm kit and they make the ride awesome. For the most part you get what you pay for with shocks.

Unlimited04 07-25-2010 03:56 AM

BL has no bearing on shocks. shocks mount to the frame/axle.

robncar 07-25-2010 07:48 AM

I'll second the Bilsteins. As said, the shocks mount to the frame and a BL has no influence on their length.

NycSneak 07-25-2010 08:13 AM

I have bilstein's on my 01 with a two inch lift and the ride is more comfortable and controlled. I have had them on for the last 50,000 miles...

jonesy02 07-25-2010 08:14 AM

I have Skyjacker Hydro's with my 3/2" lift, and i'm not happy with them at all.
I had Bilsteins on my last jeep, WAY better than these.

APEDZ04LJ 07-25-2010 08:30 AM

bilstein 5100's for sure

mrblaine 07-25-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleII (Post 9845974)
I did a quick search and it yielded mainly SJ hydros, OME, and Rancho RS5000.

I have approximately 2" of lift from used OME springs that were given to me. Currently I am thinking about putting on a 1.25 BL which would bring me to around 3" of lift at the shocks.

Everyone's opinion varies about the shocks, and I'm thinking about going with SJ. They have some mixed reviews but mostly on the good side. The Nitro's are the bad one, but the Hydro's aren't bad. OME never fails but are the most expensive out of the group. Rancho is right in the middle. I might still go with Rancho.

The big question is can I get one of these brands of shocks that will work well with 2" of lift, but then also work well if I add a BL so then I have 3" of lift.

I'm just looking for some straight forwards answers to reassure myself before I commit. :cheers2:

You're kidding, right? Please tell me very precisely what there was about the Savvy Unlimited that bothered you with regard to the way it rode and handled?

DaleII 07-25-2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblaine (Post 9846785)
You're kidding, right? Please tell me very precisely what there was about the Savvy Unlimited that bothered you with regard to the way it rode and handled?

Nothing. It was absolutely perfect. But for right now I want to try and keep t he cost down on the shocks. I won't be keeping these forever.

I know Bilstein would be the way to go. If I get ones that will work now, will they also work when I get a bigger lift?

Jetscuh 07-25-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleII (Post 9847345)
Nothing. It was absolutely perfect. But for right now I want to try and keep t he cost down on the shocks. I won't be keeping these forever.

I know Bilstein would be the way to go. If I get ones that will work now, will they also work when I get a bigger lift?

It depends. You may get shocks now that will work with a bigger lift in the future. It depends what you consider to be a "bigger lift."

Some shocks will work for 2" of lift, some for 3" of lift, others for 5-6" of lift long arm suspension. I am referring to Bilstein here if you're wondering.

Skyjacker advertises some that work from 1-3" of lift, some for 4" and whatnot.

Basically, read the product description and it will tell you whether or not will work on a bigger lift.

If you are looking for shocks to get you through a year or so and you're not doing any wheeling then I'd say the Skyjacker Hydro would be alright if you're on a tight budget.

However, I'd go with Bilstein's any day if price isn't a factor. I have them on my TJ and I really do like them. For some reason, I feel as though you can rebuild those shocks as well...but sometimes I make things up.

DaleII 07-25-2010 12:30 PM

I was thinking Skyjacker Hydro's for now just as a cheap shock to get me through. I won't be doing a whole heck of a lot of wheeling, just mainly driving on the road. Also being on college and living on campus I don't think I'll be driving it that much.

One day I will run Bilstein shocks. I want to mimic the Savvy LJ as far as my DD will go. That Jeep is set up basically perfect.

Jetscuh 07-25-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleII (Post 9847511)
I was thinking Skyjacker Hydro's for now just as a cheap shock to get me through. I won't be doing a whole heck of a lot of wheeling, just mainly driving on the road. Also being on college and living on campus I don't think I'll be driving it that much.

One day I will run Bilstein shocks. I want to mimic the Savvy LJ as far as my DD will go. That Jeep is set up basically perfect.

It is a nice rig for sure.


Like I mentioned, I like my Bilstein's. However, I used to be on Skyjacker Nitro's so I feel like anything would have made an improvement. :rofl:

It sounds like the Skyjacker Hydro's might be a alright for now. Trust me, I know (unfortunately) what it's like to be on a college student's budget with a Jeep.

DaleII 07-25-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetscuh (Post 9847562)
It is a nice rig for sure.


Like I mentioned, I like my Bilstein's. However, I used to be on Skyjacker Nitro's so I feel like anything would have made an improvement. :rofl:

It sounds like the Skyjacker Hydro's might be a alright for now. Trust me, I know (unfortunately) what it's like to be on a college student's budget with a Jeep.

Well, I just graduated high school and am becoming a college freshman.. :rofl: I'm in trouble. This will be the end of the Jeep upgrades for a while.

mrblaine 07-25-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleII (Post 9847345)
Nothing. It was absolutely perfect. But for right now I want to try and keep t he cost down on the shocks. I won't be keeping these forever.

I know Bilstein would be the way to go. If I get ones that will work now, will they also work when I get a bigger lift?

The Savvy Unlimited has Rancho 9000XL's on it.

If you wanted to keep the cost down, your question should have been "Who makes the cheapest shock that won't die in a year?".

DaleII 07-25-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblaine (Post 9848128)
The Savvy Unlimited has Rancho 9000XL's on it.

If you wanted to keep the cost down, your question should have been "Who makes the cheapest shock that won't die in a year?".

Who makes the cheapest shock that won't die in a year? and isn't that bad of a shock? :rofl:


The time now is 04:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.