Shock lengths?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shock lengths??

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-28-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Shock lengths??

Measured my shocks .

Just trying to learn what I need to know about lifts......

My front was .... 20 .75 extended
....................... 12.5 collapsed
................with 4.125 ish ride height

My rear was .... 19.5 extended (center to center)
....................... 12.25 collapsed
................with 4.25 ish ride height

They both had about 3 1/8 down travel with 7 3/8 ish total travel ..

If you do a 2"BB what length shocks do you need??
If you don't add shocks you'll only have 1 1/8 drop .....
If you get longer shocks you will probly need to add bump stops.
I wouldn't want a 2" bump stop extension to a 2" lift ..
So it would have to be around 1"

sooo would that mean a 2" longer shock
front would be .... 22 .75 extended (center to flange mounting point)
....................... 14.5 collapsed with 1" bumpstop
................with 5.125 ish ride height
........................ 4 1/8 drop
....................... 8.25 travel

How about a 3" coil lift
same shock as above or
front would be .... 23 .75 extended (center to flange mounting point)
....................... 15 collapsed with a 1.5" bump stop
................with 5.5 ish ride height
........................ 4 .6 drop
....................... 8.75 travel

I guess for a 2" BB you could add 2" bump stops and 2" shock extension and just have stock ride height . BUTT ???

Just thinking out loud.......

Last edited by Mike_Motorbike; 03-28-2010 at 03:58 AM..
Mike_Motorbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What brand/ model is a good compromise between cost and performance?

Does any body have fitment charts .
Unread 03-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Normally Quadratec is worthless, but they actually have pretty good info on their shock advisor:

Jeep shock absorber application guide - Quadratec

Most of the shocks they sell have the extended length, collapsed length, and the mfr part number listed.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bu...points-734737/
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

From what point do you measure the shocks??

And the front has that stud sticking out where do you measure there??
Unread 03-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Motorbike View Post
From what point do you measure the shocks??

And the front has that stud sticking out where do you measure there??
bar pins are studs through a hole...so eye to eye is good there. if its the fronts with the vertical stud, then figure from eye to the base of the stud. the vertical studs use a bushing top and bottom of the mount, and if you over extend the shock the bushing will compress, so base of the stud/top of body is close enough.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok

I did some research with your excellent links.

On the quadratec shock advisor I was able to get extended and compressed lengths.

If you are going to do a 2" BB you want the shock to allow AT LEAST two more inches of down travel. Also you want to gain some up travel otherwise you could just put on shock extenders.
Because most likely you'll have to add Hockey pucks or bump stop extenders anyway.

lets start with the rear it seams there is less room back there and most brands didn't improve much if at all on stock hight .

I probly will take out the stock isolator and go with just 1.5" of lift in the back to try and level it out some.

I decided since the stock shock ( well the Gabriells previous owner put on)
are 19.5" extended and 12.25" compressed with an overall travel of 7.25".
That to make buying new shocks worth it they would have to have at least 21" extended and no more than 13.25" compressed .

WELL
# 1
The closet brand to come close to that was OME $82.99.
Their rear 2-2.5" lift shock was 22.1 EX by 13.3" COMP with 8.8 of travel.

Next was Trail Master SS $41.99 and SSV $54.99 (Both same size)
Their rear 2 " lift shock was 21.7 EX by 13.42" COMP with 8.28 of travel.

Then Rubicon twin tube $49.99(The front ones were the worst size though)
Their rear 2 " lift shock was 22.5" EX by 13.7" COMP with 8.8 of travel.

Skyjacker Hydro 7000 $36.99 and Nitro 8000 $43.99 ( Both same size)
Their rear 1-3"Lift shock was 22.58" EX by 13.71" COMP with 8.87" of travel.

Tera Flex $58.99 .
Their rear 2-3" lift shock was 22.64" EX by 13.74" COMP with 8.9" of travel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now lets Talk fronts...

Again
I decided since the stock shock ( well the Gabriells previous owner put on)
are 20.75" EX and 13.5" COMP with an overall travel of 7.25".
That to make buying new shocks worth it they would have to have at least 22.75" extended and no more than 14.5" or less compressed .

Well there is allot more room for improvement in the front......

We have a tie (sort of)
#1 a
OME $ 82.99
1.5-2" lift shock was 22.4" EX by 13.2" COMP with 9.2" of travel.
BUTT it actually has too little comp and not enough ex at a rate of .35 on both sides , SO a .35 spacer will make it 22.75" EX by 13.55" COMP with 9.2" of travel.
Because OME has the best size rear shock....

#1 b
Skyjacker Hydro 7000 $36.99 and Nitro 8000 $43.99( Both same size)
2" lift shock was 22.75" EX by 13.54" COMP with 9.21" of travel.
Because Its #4 on the rear....

Fabtech $47.99
2" lift shock was 22.82" EX by 13.62" COMP with 9.2" of travel.
Butt it doesn't have a good rear shock......

Trail Master SS $41.99 and SSV $54.99 (Both same size)
2-4" lift shock was 22.92" EX by 13.92" COMP with 9" of travel.

Superlift $31.99
2" lift shock was 22.90" EX by 13.90" COMP with 9" of travel.
Because it has a bad rear shock size

Rancho RS5000 $47.99
2" lift shock was 23.75" EX by 14.38" COMP with 9.37" of travel.
No specs on rear.......

Teraflex 58.99
2" lift shock was 24.37" EX by 14.72" COMP with 9.65" of travel.

Last place
Black Diamond
2" lift shock was 26" EX by 15.5" COMP with 10.5" of travel.
Longest travel butt you'll have to run 2" of bumpstops...

Man thats alot of info time for a break..
Unread 04-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Forget about Trailmaster shocks. They are junk.

Every Trailmaster shock I have ever seen has leaked or started leaking within a very short period. I had 4 on my TJ at one time that lasted maybe 5k miles.

Good info you have there with all the shock lengths you compiled.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Now for an over all score

#1 Old Man Emu $82.99
The Best travel and maybe ride BUTT also Most expensize.
Front was 22.4" EX by 13.2" COMP with 9.2" of travel.
BUTT it actually has too little comp and not enough ex at a rate of .35 on both sides , SO a .35 spacer will make it 22.75" EX by 13.55" COMP with 9.2" of travel.
Their rear 2-2.5" lift shock was 22.1 EX by 13.3" COMP with 8.8 of travel.

#2-3 Is a tie between Trailmaster $54.99 and Skyjacker $36.99
Skyjacker Front shock was 22.75" EX by 13.54" COMP with 9.21" of travel.
Rear shock was 22.58" EX by 13.71" COMP with 8.87" of travel.

Trailmaster front shock was 22.92" EX by 13.92" COMP with 9" of travel.
rear shock was 21.7 EX by 13.42" COMP with 8.28 of travel.

Tera Flex $58.99
Front shock was 24.37" EX by 14.72" COMP with 9.65" of travel.
rear shock was 22.64" EX by 13.74" COMP with 8.9" of travel.

Looks to Me like the Skyjacker is the best Deal...

I'll have to add 1.5"of bumpstops in the rear , so only adds travel/articulation....
Butt with 1.25" bumpstops in the front I get about .75" of extra up travel and 1.62" of down travel with and overall of 2.4" of extra travel...

At $219.96

If ANYBODY Knows of shocks that beat or meet this price and beat or meet this size PLEASE let me know.

What are the Rough Country shock dimensions????

Last edited by Mike_Motorbike; 04-01-2010 at 06:20 PM..
Mike_Motorbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Or how about links to more shock lengths
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #11
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

LOL, ya pretty much have it figured out, although the best IMO is the OME N66 front shocks, you don't need bumpstop extensions, the Rear, N67, they need 1.25" extensions especially if you add a relocation bracket for the rear track bar.

More down travel is a poor sacrifice to uptravel, in the end, the flex is the same unless your tire size requires bumpstop extension to prevent rubbing.
Don't forget to factor in what your adjustable front track bar will require if you are using one. they all need at least 2" extensions to clear a stock cover. At That point since you'll need 2" stops, you can up the collapsed length to a 15.5" front shock Like the OME N66L 11" travel shock which will exceed the spring length and allow it to unseat at full droop.
The N67L rear is 24.5" and 14.5", despite what the Q-Tech site says they are and will not work well on a 2" lift unless you outboard and drop the lower mounts
longer over all length with the same travel does not translate to more flex, the body of the shock is simply longer to get the over all travel.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #12
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure what you mean about the "Poor sacrifice".
Butt I think you mean that gaining up travel would be better than down travel. I think it would be but as you know without welding in new shock mounts . Most shocks longer than stock will require longer bump stops (Especially in the rear).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
LOL, ya pretty much have it figured out, although the best IMO is the OME N66 front shocks, you don't need bumpstop extensions, the Rear, N67, they need 1.25" extensions especially if you add a relocation bracket for the rear track bar.

More down travel is a poor sacrifice to uptravel, in the end, the flex is the same unless your tire size requires bumpstop extension to prevent rubbing.
Don't forget to factor in what your adjustable front track bar will require if you are using one. they all need at least 2" extensions to clear a stock cover. At That point since you'll need 2" stops, you can up the collapsed length to a 15.5" front shock Like the OME N66L 11" travel shock which will exceed the spring length and allow it to unseat at full droop.
The N67L rear is 24.5" and 14.5", despite what the Q-Tech site says they are and will not work well on a 2" lift unless you outboard and drop the lower mounts
longer over all length with the same travel does not translate to more flex, the body of the shock is simply longer to get the over all travel.
Thats what I'm saying.... if you don't get any more travel you might as well just put spacers on the stock shocks and bump-stops .

But the front Skyjacker does give you 2 extra inches of up travel with stock down travel no bump stop needed. With 2" extra travel overall.
While the rear gives 1.6" more travel overall , after adding a 1.5" bumpstop that results to retaining stock up-travel.

Can't they make a rear shock re-locater that drops the lower shock mount and bolts to the factory mount instead of welding on a new one?

I'm noticing a few of the Jeep products are lame or mis-advertised as to proper use and application . People who just go and buy without understanding get ripped off....

I really shouldn't be spending any money now.... But I do have a Jeep.......

I'm toying with the idea of just spacing out the stock shocks and bump stops to retain factory ride heights to match the BB spacers.

Or even allowing maybe .5 to 1" more up travel.

I'm staying with 31" tires. So I just want a little more ground clearance. (Treadwright only offers a 31" GUARD DOG M/T tire for the 15" wheel ) 31-10.50R15-GUARD-DOG-M-T - Retread Tires from TreadWright, Inc.

I'd like more articulation butt I'm not sure the cost is worth it right now..
Unread 04-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #13
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean about the "Poor sacrifice".
Butt I think you mean that gaining up travel would be better than down travel. I think it would be but as you know without welding in new shock mounts . Most shocks longer than stock will require longer bump stops (Especially in the rear).

Thats what I'm saying.... if you don't get any more travel you might as well just put spacers on the stock shocks and bump-stops .

But the front Skyjacker does give you 2 extra inches of up travel with stock down travel no bump stop needed. With 2" extra travel overall.
While the rear gives 1.6" more travel overall , after adding a 1.5" bumpstop that results to retaining stock up-travel.

If you run shocks with a collapsed length as close to stock as you can get, you don't need extensions, that's the reason I go with a N66 up front for a 2" lift, more travel, no extension needed. The rear N67's need a 1.25" extension (none with simple relocation) and is an improvement over stock up and down travel as well... not all longer shocks have more travel.

Quote:
Can't they make a rear shock re-locater that drops the lower shock mount and bolts to the factory mount instead of welding on a new one?
I have that one on the drawing board that also inculdes bolt on relocation...

Quote:
I'm noticing a few of the Jeep products are lame or mis-advertised as to proper use and application . People who just go and buy without understanding get ripped off....

Exactly...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 04-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #14
HPJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you run shocks with a collapsed length as close to stock as you can get, you don't need extensions, that's the reason I go with a N66 up front for a 2" lift, more travel, no extension needed. The rear N67's need a 1.25" extension (none with simple relocation) and is an improvement over stock up and down travel as well... not all longer shocks have more travel
Mudb8, you have me confused. When you say extension are you talking about bumpstop extensions or shock extensions? I sent you a private message about my TJ with 2.5" lift, 2" bumpstop extensions, factory track bars and 1" body lift with 33" tires. You recommended OME N66L for the front which should work fine since I have 16" compression and 22" extended lengths. My rear shock length is 16" compressed and 20" extended. Shouldn't I go with the OME N67L for more travel since their N67 is 13.3/22.1?
HPJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #15
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPJeep View Post
Mudb8, you have me confused. When you say extension are you talking about bumpstop extensions or shock extensions? I sent you a private message about my TJ with 2.5" lift, 2" bumpstop extensions, factory track bars and 1" body lift with 33" tires. You recommended OME N66L for the front which should work fine since I have 16" compression and 22" extended lengths. My rear shock length is 16" compressed and 20" extended. Shouldn't I go with the OME N67L for more travel since their N67 is 13.3/22.1?
Bumpstop extensions...

I must have missed the stock front track bar part.... it'll bind up on the axle bracket on the passenger side with the N66L shocks, the N66 put it in a bind but won't let it droop enough to tear it off.

you can use the n67L's on the rear, but, the N67L is to long to have decent uptravel on the rear of a TJ/LJ with 2.5" lift. the difference in travel from the N67 and n67L is only 1.2" and can, with some springs, unseat the rear coils at full droop. If you want longer rear shocks, the best thing ot do is outboard the lower shock mount.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.