Shock length for a 4" Full Traction long arm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shock length for a 4" Full Traction long arm

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 05-15-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
Hopper_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Shock length for a 4" Full Traction long arm

Can someone tell me what length shocks I'll need for this suspension setup?

I'm looking into getting some Bilstein 7100s, but I don't know what length to look for.

Would a shock that's 25.8" extended and 15.8" collapsed work for either the front or the rear? It works out to roughly 10" of travel

Thanks

Hopper_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
will04wrangler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Really? Go measure your shock height. Add 4 inches to that. Find a shock where that number is right in the middle and you're set.
will04wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
Hopper_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I assume that the long arm is going to have a lot more droop than the short arm is going to be able to muster. Won't that mean that I'm going to need a little more shock than just +4"?
Unread 05-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
will04wrangler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper_ View Post
I assume that the long arm is going to have a lot more droop than the short arm is going to be able to muster. Won't that mean that I'm going to need a little more shock than just +4"?
A long arm isn't going to be much difference. Yes, it will flex better, but think about this: A 4" short arm lift will stuff the tire under the flare (with a 4" longer shock.) Will you want that long arm flexing farther than that? (Otherwise, into your fender flare.) It's gonna have about the same amount of travel because you're gonna have to bumpstop it before the tires hit the flares. The 4" of lift is what limits you, not the arm length.

So get your shock height at ride height. Find a shock where that number sits in the middle of the extended and compressed numbers and you're set. Shocks built for Jeeps should give you no problems.

Hope this helps,
-Will
will04wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Hopper_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks bud; guess I was overthinking things again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.