shock help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > shock help

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-08-2005, 09:34 AM   #1
climber01

shock help

i recently installed a BB on my 00 TJ, and lo' and behold i've caught the lifting bug. my question is that if i wanted to upgrade my springs to some 2" HD OME springs, then can i use my RE shocks that i got with the BB? i've tried searching the web, but before i call the infamous RE customer support, does anyone know if they're long enough? the shock #'s are front- RXT2421 rear- RXT2220. the reason i would upgrade is that i can get all 4 springs w/ free shipping for about $130, and $15 for the rear trackbar bracket (and do a budget t-case drop if necessary). thanks for fueling my habit!

[COLOR=White]00 SE/ 29" BFG AT/ RE BB/ LJ Rubi springs/ Rancho RS 5000 SS/ Warn front & rear Rock Crawler bumper/ Olympic Dave's Safari Rack/ Black Nerf Bars/ head & tail light guards/ Warn steering box skid/ Black gas hatch/ Hella 500's/ K&N/ Clarion 835-MP Head Unit/ Bazooka 8" Marine Sub/ Sirius[/COLOR]

Last edited by climber01; 11-08-2005 at 09:58 AM..
climber01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2005, 08:32 PM   #2
bobsguns

I can't imagine not needing new shocks with any sort of lift kit. Rancho lists two different models from stock to 2" lift, Im betting yours are the same way.
Unread 11-09-2005, 08:48 PM   #3
btolle

[QUOTE=climber01the reason i would upgrade is that i can get all 4 springs w/ free shipping for about $130[/QUOTE]

Those must be used springs at that price. 2 new OME springs will cost that much. If those are supposed to be new they aren't OME at that price.

Bill Tolle
05 Rubicon
04 Liberty
04 Kubota 4WDTractor
btolle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2005, 10:51 PM   #4
climber01

i've been lookig at them and i think that they are just wrongly listed or wrongly priced, thanks for the response though guys.
[COLOR=White]00 SE/ 29" BFG AT/ RE BB/ LJ Rubi springs/ Rancho RS 5000 SS/ Warn front & rear Rock Crawler bumper/ Olympic Dave's Safari Rack/ Black Nerf Bars/ head & tail light guards/ Warn steering box skid/ Black gas hatch/ Hella 500's/ K&N/ Clarion 835-MP Head Unit/ Bazooka 8" Marine Sub/ Sirius[/COLOR]
climber01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2005, 11:24 PM   #5
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber01
i recently installed a BB on my 00 TJ, and lo' and behold i've caught the lifting bug. my question is that if i wanted to upgrade my springs to some 2" HD OME springs, then can i use my RE shocks that i got with the BB? i've tried searching the web, but before i call the infamous RE customer support, does anyone know if they're long enough? the shock #'s are front- RXT2421 rear- RXT2220. the reason i would upgrade is that i can get all 4 springs w/ free shipping for about $130, and $15 for the rear trackbar bracket (and do a budget t-case drop if necessary). thanks for fueling my habit!
Funny you should ask if you can run the RE Twin Tubes with the OME coils... I've been trying to decide on the correct length of RE TT to run with mine.

Here are the specs on the RE Twin Tubes that came with your BB -

Front - RXT2421:

extended - 24.5"
collapsed - 14.5"

Rear - RXT2220

extended - 22.5"
collapsed - 13.5"

Looks like it can be done because the following are the numbers for the OME shocks -

Front N66:

extended - 22.25"
collapsed - 13.19"

Rear N67:

extended - 22"
collapsed - 13.35"

Last edited by thejafe; 11-09-2005 at 11:49 PM..
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2005, 11:46 PM   #6
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

To be honest with you climber01... I ordered a set of RE Twin Tubes last week to run alongside my OME HD coils. Got 'em through Jason at Redrock4x4 (he gives a Jeepforum discount ). We talked on the phone a bit about which lenght of RE TT's would be best and guess what? I ended up ordering exactly what you have right now. I didn't realize what I ordered was the same as what's included in the BB until I saw your original post.

I'm also running .75" spacers on top of my coils... but if you look at the OME shocks they are shorter then the ones I'm getting and I know the OME's would still work nicely with my setup. Therefore you should be able to use the shocks you have with a set of OME coils just fine.
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.