Shimmy/Wobble/Shake help please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shimmy/Wobble/Shake help please

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
MillerTimeTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Shimmy/Wobble/Shake help please

i have been a jeep owner for over five years now and the reason i bought my jeep was how good it handled compared to the others i test drove. It always drove straight and smooth down the highway up to about 90MPH (which i dont normally do, but hey, gotta try it out once right)

Specifics of my model are in my sig, but i have a 97 sport, 2.5 inch spacer, 1.25 bl, otherwise mostly stock save for some bumpers etc.

I have developed a shimmy or shake in the front end. it is minor at speeds under 50 but from 50-70 or so it is fairly pronounced. the jeep also shakes a little bit when coming to a stop, regardless of whether i use the tranny to slow down or apply the brakes.

I decided to replace my tie rod ends as there seemed to be a little play, and hoped that would be the issue. Well it isnt. (ps getting the old tie rods off was a *****, had to heat it up)

At any rate, do you guys have any insight, i have read through dozens of threads here but everyone has slightly different problems and no one mentioned a shake when slowing down.

is it possible it is just tires? i have 33" trxus mt's. Three of the four have great tread, one of them scalloped a little bit. Should i balance them and hope that is my problem? alignment? ball joint? wheel bearing? steering dampener? etc. etc. etc

I havent been on here in like two years, but i have always gotten great advice from you all and i appreciate it.

Unread 06-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
texas-hooligan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It could very well be the tires. I know the tires on my 2003 were pretty cupped when I bought it. I've been slowly going about changing the front end parts (tie-rods, drag link, etc) as most of my components were starting to show their age. I moved the worse tires to the rear of the Jeep but I still get some steering wheel vibes over 40 MPH. Once I get all the bits replaced on the front I'll be getting new tires and an alignment. I don't have any issues currently with Death Wobble but I'm not taking any chances and I'm replacing anything that's worn.

As others will tell you the steering dampener will only mask your problems; fix all the other parts before you worry about the dampener.
texas-hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
MillerTimeTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks, i think i will try and get them balanced out today although when i replaced the tie rod end i left the lock for my lug on it and drove away with it on. . .
Unread 06-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
MillerTimeTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

any other insight
Unread 06-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Could be the track bar: not torqued down; worn bushing or tie rod end; wallowed out hole. Search for dry steering test. I too have a shimmy and my tires are not good so I can relate.
Unread 06-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
MillerTimeTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I took it to get tires balanced today and they basically said I was sol. He said each tire needed at least 16 oz of weight to balance. He said this isn't unusual with interco tires since they are so heavy.
Is it likely the tires are my problem? Outer tie rod ends are new.
Unread 06-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

definitely sounds like a tire balance issue if it's happening at all speeds, and all types of road.

I had my tires rotated on my last oil change which developed a new shimmy, had to take it back and have the tires re-balanced.
NBMgreg is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like what they told me...
Unread 06-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
MillerTimeTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It happens at most speeds but is worst at highway speed and when slowing down
Unread 06-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

sounds like an out of balance tire to me.

if you have any buddies with jeeps swap wheels with them and see if it fixes the issue. If yours cannot be balanced, that is. Or rotate the tires and see if it changes anything.
NBMgreg is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
mattlock1983
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTimeTJ
It happens at most speeds but is worst at highway speed and when slowing down
When I had this issue, a wheel rotation solved it.
~2.5" Lift, LT285 MTR's, Currie HD steering, Currie Anti-Rock, Nth Oil Pan Skid, Kilby Steering Skid, Warn HS9500, Rockcrusher Diff covers, Nth Slider rear DS skid, custom bumpers, PIAA reverse lights, Tuffy Console, Uniden PC78 elite CB, Nth TT (not installed)
mattlock1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
MillerTimeTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I rotated the tires. Improved but not all better. But I think the tires are the issue. Thanks guys
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
1999TJRED85000

YOU'VE GOT TO READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/en...g-read-663777/

I originally found it on another website, but it's on here too. It's very comprehensive and if you follow it, you'll narrow out your problems pretty quick. Very well written.

It has a lot more to do with steering, but all the shimmy and shake stuff it in there too.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.