shifting into 2nd gear is grindy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > shifting into 2nd gear is grindy

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 11-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
schmud6
2000 TJ Wrangler 

shifting into 2nd gear is grindy

I own a 2000 2.5L 4 cyl manual wrangler. recently i have been having problems shifting into second gear. It kind of grinds or "clicks" into place unless i really baby it/shift slowly. I have read on here that maybe all i need to do is switch the transmission fluid, or should i take it in to have it checked out? maybe i have cluth problems, i really dont know. any recommendations?

Joe.

schmud6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
chitownEMT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's hard to know without actually hearing it. It could be normal shifting noise or it could be a worn out synchro. I have the 4.0L I6 with the 5 speed and it grinds a tad when shifting 1-2, especially when cold. I've been told this is normal because we have "truck" transmissions, meaning a very steep 1st gear. I wouldn't be too worried about it unless it becomes apparently worse. Changing fluid may help a bit, especially if you haven't changed it in a long time or ever. But don't expect miracles, it's just lubrication for the synchros.

In the long run men hit only what they aim at. Therefore, though they should fail immediately, they had better aim at something high.
- Thoreau

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was, within me, an invincible summer.
- Albert Camus

[B]Disclaimer:[/B] The advice given on this forum is free; however, its value may be much less than you paid for it.
chitownEMT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
schmud6
2000 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the reply. i talked to a friend mechanic. he also said that it sounded like a worn out synchro but it should be fine as long as i dont drive crazy on it.
Unread 11-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
SolarOne
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Rather than speculate and coping with it. I would suggest changing the transmission fluid that will eliminate fluid quality, something that is often "forgotten" maintenance. I'd also suggest flushing the clutch fluid via pressurized bleeder, and keeping clean fluid in the reservoir. If its still clicking or the teeth are catching with proper shifting technique. Its more likely to think its the clutch dragging usually being pressure plate or throwout related, when the CMC, lines and slave are in working order.
SolarOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
Brewskiskeeter
1997 TJ Wrangler 

They all grind in second if you dont shift it right. Do a serach about it and you'll see about 100 other threads about it. My 2000 2.5 manual did it too.
Unread 11-11-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
BillStickers
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Try taking off the shift boot first. In colder weather the rubber boot can make it hard to get into 2nd gear. I replaced my boot with a cheap $10 one, and now it shifts really smooth.
BillStickers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

That's a common problem with the synchros wearing in the older model Jeeps.Change the gear lube to a better brand and it will help somewhat.My 98' did that and Redline MT-90 helped.It never got worse over the next 2 years before I sold it.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
schmud6
2000 TJ Wrangler 

alright so i've decided that im going to switch out the tranny fluid. I was doing a lil research and I found that u should use 10w30 full synth motor oil (because i live in minnesota with brutal winters) and apparently the 10w30 is the new spec for the AX15. anyone have any commentary on experience using the 10w30
Unread 11-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmud6 View Post
alright so i've decided that im going to switch out the tranny fluid. I was doing a lil research and I found that u should use 10w30 full synth motor oil (because i live in minnesota with brutal winters) and apparently the 10w30 is the new spec for the AX15. anyone have any commentary on experience using the 10w30
You have an AX-5 tranny.

3.3 quarts 75W-90 GL3, 75W-90 GL4, or 10W30 (NOT GL5 or GL5 compatible as incorrectly stated in some of the manuals)
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
schmud6
2000 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=TheBoogieman;12486505]You have an AX-5 tranny.

3.3 quarts 75W-90 GL3, 75W-90 GL4, or 10W30 (NOT GL5 or GL5 compatible as incorrectly stated in some of the manuals)[/

I should use a full synthetic since I live in a colder climater , correct?
Unread 11-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Do what boogyman says, use the Redline. I live in MPLS and I used it on my AX-5 and it worked wonders for me. I had a hard time finding it locally. I got some from Courtny truck service in Eden Praire.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
clutch , gear , shift , shifting , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.