Shift Light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shift Light

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 11-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
Jeep_Maniac

Shift Light

Here's one for you guys...

I have an '05 SE...I jsut realized that the shift light has not worked since day one. I see the place for it on the instrument cluster, but it just doesn't work. I want to take it to the stearlership to get fixed but I am afraid that since we added factory fog lights, they may void the warranty once they see what is behind the instrument panel...(nothing wrong just doesn't look pretty)...does the SE have this light or no?

Thanks guys!

Daniel

Jeep_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
nbf6165
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I wish my '02 SE's light didn't work. That thing is annoying as hell at night. If you ask me thats a blessing.
nbf6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
BigJeepJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_Maniac
Here's one for you guys...

I have an '05 SE...I jsut realized that the shift light has not worked since day one. I see the place for it on the instrument cluster, but it just doesn't work. I want to take it to the stearlership to get fixed but I am afraid that since we added factory fog lights, they may void the warranty once they see what is behind the instrument panel...(nothing wrong just doesn't look pretty)...does the SE have this light or no?

Thanks guys!

Daniel
All Jeeps with 5-speed or 6-speed sticks have the shift light but it is useless…I just pulled the fuse for it so I do not have to see it anymore. Why do you want the light, I mean you know when to shift right?

[URL="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v516/JeepJay/"]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v516/JeepJay/[/URL]

TJ Stretch Thread...

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348220&page=3"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348220&page=3[/URL]
BigJeepJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 02:51 PM   #4
Jeepin' Rock Cl
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'd rather find out how to break it. It's annoying. It's not even close to accurate anyways as soon as you mod your Jeep.
Jeepin' Rock Cl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 02:55 PM   #5
Jeep_Maniac

of course I know when to shift...but me being the perfectionist I am, I like knowing that all things work but hell, I know what you mean about it at night...(previous car)...

is there a fuse for the light though? Just so I can see if it is in fact broke or blown rather?
Unread 11-02-2005, 02:56 PM   #6
98JEEPTJ
2005 WK 

Like the others I don't see that as a problem. But I doubt the dealership will say anything about your lights you added them to your jeep without hacking into the stock wires correct? I don't really know what you would have in your dash if you are just adding lights. all the wires should be out in the engine compartment with the relays the only thing you would need is one power wire from the switch...
Unread 11-02-2005, 02:56 PM   #7
frankiefire702
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If there is a fuse let me know. So I can pull mine out.
Unread 11-02-2005, 02:57 PM   #8
BigJeepJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_Maniac
of course I know when to shift...but me being the perfectionist I am, I like knowing that all things work but hell, I know what you mean about it at night...(previous car)...

is there a fuse for the light though? Just so I can see if it is in fact broke or blown rather?
Nope now that I think about it I pulled the fuse to stop something else in the Jeep. There is no fuse just for this light but Electrical Tape over the light works well.

[URL="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v516/JeepJay/"]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v516/JeepJay/[/URL]

TJ Stretch Thread...

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348220&page=3"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348220&page=3[/URL]
BigJeepJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 03:08 PM   #9
Scott_98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I pulled the actual lamp for it from the instrument cluster. Not sure, but I doubt that it's changed over the years. The lamps are small, twist in bulbs and easily pop out. Using this approach, your not potentially pulling power from something else on that fuse.

Taking the instrument panel out is about 10 minute job.... the second time around. It's only like 6 or 8 screws in total IIRC from the start.

Kentucky Krawlers
Scott_98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 04:29 PM   #10
Jeep_Maniac

I mean, I'm not going to worry about it...it's no big deal...I was just curious about it...
Unread 11-02-2005, 04:39 PM   #11
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJay3279
All Jeeps with 5-speed or 6-speed sticks have the shift light but it is useless…I just pulled the fuse for it so I do not have to see it anymore. Why do you want the light, I mean you know when to shift right?
I've never noticed a shift light on my '06. Maybe i need to rev it to 6500 in second or sumthing. I had a shift light in my '99 Dakota and it was about as worthless as a tit on a boar hog. Bob
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 06:00 PM   #12
96ExJay
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've always wondered why my shift light doesnt work on my '05, maybe it's a "problem" with all the new Jeeps.

[B]Gone: 1996 Cherokee Country 4x4, 4.0 HO[/B]
96ExJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 06:17 PM   #13
UAJeep

My light comes on when I am in 5th gear on a 5 speed. I am just to lazy to pull the bulb. Don't fix it you will regret it.
Unread 11-02-2005, 06:21 PM   #14
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAJeep
My light comes on when I am in 5th gear on a 5 speed. I am just to lazy to pull the bulb. Don't fix it you will regret it.
If I'm not mistaken, the upshift light is an LED on a circuit board that can not be removed.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 06:24 PM   #15
06slvrrubi
Lovin' Life

2006 TJ Wrangler 

My 05 does not have a shift light. I seriously doubt that all Jeep's 05-up have a broken shift light. My guess is that they don't have it anymore, but the they didn't want to change the cluster, so they just left the blank in there. I've pulled the bulb's out of all of the shift lights that I've had in past vehicles. I hate them, they're stupid and pointless.
06slvrrubi is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.