Shift Cable Automatic Transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shift Cable Automatic Transmission

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
RHODESIA

Shift Cable Automatic Transmission

Hello I have a question? I had my shift cable break on me not while I was driving but when I put the it in park I then got out of the jeep to get the mail when I got back in I shift it out of park and the shift lever had allot of play in it. in another words I could move the shift lever with out engageing the button on the lever. to make it short it was stuck in PARK. I don't do any "Slap Stick Shifting" like the dealer asked me the other day but I took it to the shop at the jeep dealer all of them were scratching there heads because they have never came across this problem. I own a 2005 LWB unlimited and I don't do any off roading but I do allot of hwy driving, I just put 51,000 miles on her runs great I really like it. so since I do allot of hwy driving is the shift cable going to be a problem in the future? or is this a sign of something else going on? My jeep gets regulator checks ups from the dealer. well what I'm asking it I hate to be out in the middle of the planet and find the cable broke again.

RHODESIA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's the first I've heard of that particular shifter issue, it's not something I remember ever seeing mentioned here. I really doubt it'll be a problem for you again once the dealer fixes it. Maybe it's a problem on the newer 42RLE transmissions but not on the older autos like I have.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
chuckv68
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had two different friends have it happen to their Rubicon in the same week, both were '05's. Both were stock and both never wheeled it. One had it fixed under warranty and the other had to pay $300.
chuckv68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here's some things you need to know about your shifter. First one might be your problem. Second one likely will be a problem.

Bushing underneath on cable
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/gearshift-cable-white-bushing-help-761603/

Broken bead thing - VERY common
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cant-shift-into-park-1st-gear-514108/

How to replace shifter assembly
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/replacing-gear-shift-assembly-4-speed-auto-pics-552659/

Jim
Unread 07-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
RHODESIA

Thank you all for the information it really helped.
RHODESIA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
lamcho
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I am not alone!!!!
Left me in the middle of the desert one evening!!
A small piece of plastok broke off the plastic thingy that actualy retains the cable in place!!!

Scared the sh*t out of me when kept going with the stick at "P" thanks god the guy infront was fast enough to realise he has to move fast;-);-);-)
lamcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
tmwalk
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Broken Auto Transmission Cable

Just to let you know I had the very same problem on my 2005 Rubicon Unlimited. The PLASTIC bushing at the transmission linkage disintegrated.
This occured at about 55K miles. The stealership said it wasn't covered under warranty. Couldn't believe the powertrain 7/70K warranty didn't cover this stupid plastic bushing. After paying the dealer about $280.00 I emailed Jeep and they reimbursed me all but $50 as a one-time customer satisfaction issue.
I never heard anyone else having this problem until I saw your post.
tmwalk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
StockLWBTJ

I just had the same problem with my 2005 LWB TJ. White bushing desinigrated. Had to buy whole cable for $40 for the .05cent broken piece. Dealership quoted repair at $350. This is a very common problem with the 2005 Jeep Wrangler (All automatic trans. models) Tow truck driver that met my wife said that this is the most common problem he faces with this model Jeep. When will this become a recall or class action lawsuit to repair or remburse?
StockLWBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 04:44 AM   #9
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My bolt mod has been on there for a while now and I think it's the best thing vs replacing that bushing/cable only to have it fall off again. With my mod I doubt it's going to just fall off or break! And yes when it does happen to you it's a PITA, but a couple of zip ties can get you home safely.
05 Electric Lime Green LJ with a 4spd Auto, 2.5inch Suspension Lift, OME Shocks, OME Steering Stabilizer, 32inch BFG M/T's on 17inch Moab's using Spidertrax Spacers, UCF Aluminum TC Skid, Novak Cable Shifter, Brown Dog MML, Rokmen 1/2 BL, Banks CAI, Diehard Platinum Marine Battery, JW Speaker 8700 LED Head Lights, Safari Nets, G.E.A.R Overhead Console/G.E.A.R Tailgate Storage, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn Gas Tank Skid, Mopar Rock Crawler Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000i Winch with Warn Wireless Remote, and a Uniden 880 CB Radio
Best4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
rubrainded2
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Shift cable rention clip repair

Well, today we went to the store, put the Jeep in park, turned off the ignition and went inside. Came out and the Jeep wouldn't go into drive, reverse, etc... stuck in Park. I got under the Jeep, manually shifted it to Drive while my wife held the break. That got us home. Parts store says dealer has to fix with replacement of entire cable. The retaining bushing that holds the cable end onto the transmission shift lever had disintegrated. The cable appears to just need the retaining pin insert to reattach. Temporary(?) fix was a visit to Lowe's where I purchased a rubber grommet (9/16OD x 1/4ID, h#881253) and a Thread Cutting Nut (1/16 Hex, 1/4" stud, H#881219). I pushed the rubber grommet over the retaining pin, then shoved the cable end over the rubber grommet. Then snapped the threaded cutting nut over the beveled end of the retaining pin of the transmission shift lever. The threaded cutting nut was inserted upside down and fit perfectly inside the cable end with the lip of the cutting nut holding onto the cable end. It's holding pretty solid. As a permanent solution, can the cable end insert be replaced without replacing the entire cable?
Before:
After:
Parts:
rubrainded2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
UMTiger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Same thing just happened to me. 2005 Jeep Wrangler with 26k miles. Dealer also said this is very common. No recall??? Of course not covered by warranty. Dealership charged $374 to repair. I will contact Jeep to express disappointment.

5/14/2010 UPDATE: I wrote to Chrysler to complain. Much to my surprise, they sent me reimbursement! No letter or explanation, just a check.

Be sure to put your complaint in writing, keep a copy, and enclose a copy of all paperwork that you received from the dealership.

Contact Us by Mail:
Chrysler Group Customer Care
P.O. Box 21-8004
Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004

Contact Us by Telephone
1-877-426-5337
(1-877-IAM-JEEP)
M-F 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM ET
SAT 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET

Last edited by UMTiger; 01-18-2011 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: more info added
UMTiger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubrainded2 View Post
Before:
This is what happened to me. Didn't have time to play with it or try to fix it, so I zip tied it to get me moving, then went to the dealer and get a whole new cable for like $32. Hardest part was finding the cable.
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #13
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm in the same boat. I actually picked up the cable this morning before reading best4x4's fix. Next time, and I'm sure there will be a next time, I'll do the bolt "mod".
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
Alawrimore
2005 TJ Wrangler 

2005 here also mine has had a zip tie holding it together for at least 2 years now always carry spares just in case.
Alawrimore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2010, 08:05 PM   #15
usjeepers
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My Brother's 05 LJ Rubi shifter cable broke. I bought an 05 LJ with 34K on it and the canle is also broken and zip tied into place. I recon I'll go buy a new one one of these days soon.
usjeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.