Shakes really badly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shakes really badly

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
davenjit
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Shakes really badly

Ok, so i have a 2004 Rocky Mountain Edition...when i hit some bumps in the road my front end begins to shake uncontrollably. I have 31'' BFG AT's that have about 40,000 miles on them. I just rotated my tires and it seems that its getting worse. I need to pull over and slow down to well under 30 MPH. about 3 years ago this started to happen for the first time which led to me buying the BFG's. My machanic told me that i needed new tires. However the tread on the BFG's don't look awefull. IDK maybe i'm wrong as i'm not great at this stuff, however it just doesn't make that much sense to me.

If you have any suggestions as to what else could be causeing this (or wanna call me dumb cause its obvious and i'm just stupid) please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Dave

davenjit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Have you had an alignment recently.The toe in being off can do that.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
03rubiconMG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

this is a pretty basic case of death wobble. rotating the tires can change this because if the rear tires were balanced worse than the front then that will increase DW. start by getting under your jeep and making sure all of your control arms and track bar in the front end are tightened well along with anything else you can see.

my track bar bolt was loose which was the main cause of this.

then jack up each wheel and check to make sure your ball joints are still good by putting one hand on top of the tire and one hand on the bottom and try to move the top and bottom in and out, they shouldnt move at all.

If this does not work go to a good tire place and have the wheels balanced. this was another cause to some death wobble i had.

Take the jeep to an offroad shop that does tires also they tend to be better at balancing tires in general and can help you with any other ideas.

one final thing it could be is the steering stabilizer but probably not, dont buy anything new unless you have to.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3374/...376a0a33_o.jpg
03rubiconMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

search death wobble.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like death wobble. Check all of your front suspension and steering. Look for loose/worn tie rod ends, ball joints, hub bearings, etc. Pay close attention to your trackbar ends, make sure they are tight and not worn. Make sure all the nuts/bolts are tight. If all that checks out go for an alignment and tire balance. That should cover what may be causing your issue. You can also do a search here and find numerous threads about death wobble and how to fix it.

Here are the results of one search.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/searc...archid=5117198

Don't run out and buy a steering stabilizer thinking that will fix it. If your front suspension/alignment is good you should not have DW without it.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.