several problems since my re 4.5 lift install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > several problems since my re 4.5 lift install

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-24-2005, 07:45 PM   #1
incubus2012

several problems since my re 4.5 lift install

mainly the death wooble. it was undriveable until i had it aligned, now the dw happens when i hit big bumps, usually always on an incline with a curve like a freeway ramp. what can i do. i checked to see if my control arms are tight and i can slightly turn the upper passenger with my hand. it seems like i cant get it tight enough, i assume the bushing is bad but it looks ok. how would i even replace that one since its on the axel? and i noticed this today, could this be the cause?

if there is anyone here close to jonesboro, ar that could look and maybe help me please pm me

incubus2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2005, 08:51 PM   #2
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

Bad ball joints can cause that. Also a loose front track bar, and out of balance wheels, will cause it
34" Toyo AT2's

Sold 2005 Red Rubi Unlimited
Jeep Pics

2004 TJ sold
1993 YJ sold
RedRubiconLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2005, 08:53 PM   #3
got4-Lo

balance ur tires. and tighten ur track bar when it connects to the axle

[URL]webwheeling.com[/URL]
got4-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2005, 11:49 PM   #4
RockPaws

One trick I use in troubleshooting front end problems, is to have a friend turn the steering wheel back and forth about 1/8 to a 1/4 turn. While they are doing this inspect the steering for abnormal movement like the track bar, steeing linkage, etc..
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2005, 12:10 AM   #5
Baas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver4banger
Bad ball joints can cause that. Also a loose front track bar, and out of balance wheels, will cause it
I think you are right. There is no ONE thing that will cause DW. I say this because a lot of people blame only a loose track bar. Now I know a lot of you are going to call this BS but. I travelled 8 miles without a front or rear track bar in a friend's newly lifted ZJ.
With NO DW.
I must admit it was quite a task. I had to turn the steering wheel a full turn before the Jeep started turning.
This Jeep had a DW before we installed the lift. The kit was a RE 3.5 lift. I suspect that the lower CA's rubber bushings were shot. The DW only occured when bracking in a turn.

Now for the reason why I travelled without the Track bars. We had an alignment shop install the lift but the rear track bar bracket and the front track bar was for a LHD Jeep. I had no choice but to drive it back to our workshop and do some fabbing work.

You should look at each component sepperately one at a time. A lift just amplifies any dormant problems.
As for the upper control arm rubber. Currie manufactures a Johhny Joint weld on replacement.

I want mine replaced with that as well.
Skyjacker 2" body lift
Safari Snorkel
35" Procomp X-terrain
Mickey Thompson Classic lock
Aussie locker front & rear
4.88 gears
CV Drive shaft
4WD SYE
215 Ponies I6[/FONT]
Baas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2005, 03:01 AM   #6
jerod2099

I won't call BS on that. My 87xj front track bar ball joint thing is so worn out it is about to fall off. I can tell it is bad because we watched it while someone turned the wheel back and forth and I can feel it sort of kick over to one side or the other as I turn but even with a 3" lift (homemade and crappy) with 32's (used and crappy) I have NO DW. My tires are balanced and we aligned it with a tape measure. If the trackbar was such a POS for causing DW all the time I would have DW but I don't. I have seen hoes on corners that weren't as loose as my track bar is.
jerod2099 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2005, 11:06 AM   #7
incubus2012

anyne close to jonesboro, ar?
incubus2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.