Serpentine belt that squeals like a pig, sometimes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Serpentine belt that squeals like a pig, sometimes

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
bluedog55
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Serpentine belt that squeals like a pig, sometimes

I have a 2000 jeep wrangler that has belt squeal sometimes. list of things replaced: idler pulley, belt tensioner assembly, 2 belts (currently a gates belt on jeep), radiator (was leaking a little and thought it was blowing on belt). this squeal starts about 5 minutes after driving. it only squeals when you let off throttle, under load it does nothing. it will squeal, then, for maybe 10-15 minutes then it will stop. so annoying, at my wits end and i am tired of getting the weird looks. also try to make all the repairs myself. need help badly

bluedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Is there enough tension on the belt?
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
superslayer
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TJSahara View Post
Is there enough tension on the belt?
This...

Most autoparts places will let you borrow a belt tensioner gauge... for a new belt you need around 200 lbs of tension.
superslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
bluedog55
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I will have to check on the belt tensioner gauge. I am wondering about the belt but buying gates brand made me think I was gonna be all good there. I can tell you this much, when I try to twist the belt, I can twist it about half a full turn. Seems like that is a lot to me but there is no adjustments to be made. The belt tensioner assembly has an indicator mark on it that shows the pulley at the mid point of its tension. That makes me think that the tension is correct. I will try to get my hands on a belt tensioner gauge though. Thanks.
Unread 08-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
patricknolan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tighten the tension adjuster pulley. That probably isnt the proper name for it

On my jeep its on the top right of the pulley system. Not sure if this is how you tighten it or even if this is from a jeep, but it shouldnt be hard to figure out.

patricknolan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
bluedog55
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks again for reviewing my problem. My belt tensioner assembly is automatic. It is self adjusting. Unfortunately I can not do any adjustments to tighten the belt. This is what is confusing the heck out of me. Short of replacing a few hundred dollars worth more in parts (which I do not have the money for) I am not sure what to do. Frustrating is being given a new meaning in this case.

Last edited by bluedog55; 08-12-2009 at 08:25 PM..
Unread 08-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
Longoddr1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wants it starts to squeal, will it continue to at idle? If so, grab a bottle of water and following the path of the belt spray at the area between the belt and the pulley. Be very careful because the engine needs to be running. If the noise goes away at one of the pulleys then that is what is causing the noise. Do you have AC? Make sure you cycle it off and on and see if the noise changes. It can also be the power steering pulley, so use the spray bottle. Stay back away from the fan and use a pinpoint stream to direct the spray.
Let us know what happens.
Longoddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #8
bluedog55
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yes and no on the squeal at idle. Meaning it does sometimes and sometimes not. It will, however, stop squealing at idle if it sits long enough at idle. I have tried a garden hose to stop squeal but it did not help. I will try the spray bottle method tomorrow at specific pulleys. Also, I have turned AC on and off. There is no difference in squeal by turning that on or off. I am hoping that means the AC is fine. By the way, it blows ice cold air. I would think that is a good indicator also. Thanks for info, I have had this problem for a couple months and I am to stubborn to give in. This is really testing my patience however
Unread 08-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
Longoddr1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Also make sure the noise is being generated from the FEAD system. Also if its not squealing when you start spraying, the water can make a border line causal part start squealing.
Weird items that also can make a similar sound while driving include- IAC valve (this would be a cleaning), pcv valve or vacuum leak in the intake system before the throttle body.
Just looking outside the box.
Longoddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #10
shortydog33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had a similar problem with my 99 and a new Gates belt, I checked everthing I thought it could possibly be and tightened it until I knew it was to tight, it was still there, switched to a Goodyear Gatorback Serp belt and like magic it was gone, 15,000 miles and not a squeel since. Dont know if it will work for you but it worked for me. I have nothing against nor am I knocking Gates products.
shortydog33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 01:13 AM   #11
FokkerDude
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Exactly what I'm going through with my 2002, but in my Jeep it starts to happen within 30 seconds of driving when cold. It seems to vanish after things heat up. I'm wondering if the power steering pump might be making the noise? Maybe bearings in the pump are packing it in?

2002 TJ Apex Edition/4.0/NV3550/NP231/Rubicon Express 62mm Throttle Body/Stock Suspension
FokkerDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #12
patricknolan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would start with replacing the belt with a different brand. Before you install but after you remove the old one, compare there lengths. See if there are a major difference.
patricknolan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #13
V-8unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My old 4cylinder jeep would squeal, turned out it was the alternator. I ended up finding it with wd40, sprayed the alt. down and quit squealing, changed it and was good to go.
V-8unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #14
RYANSTULC
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What engine do you have?
My '98 4.0 doesn't have an "automatic" bent tensioner. The tension has to be set manually.
There's an idler pulley under the power steering pump that must have it's bolt loosened. Then, there's an adjuster screw that extends/retracts said pulley in order to achieve proper tension. This bolt is reacheable via the top of the motor, inward of the power steering pump. (the adjustment shaft runs up-down in relationship to the motor). Once the tension is set, re-tighten the bolt on the idler pulley and you're done.
RYANSTULC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2009, 08:40 AM   #15
bluedog55
2000 TJ Wrangler 

well the squeal problem continues. i am trying to "time" this squeal to be able to work on it now. it seems that when i get it to squeal and try to get it to my garage to look in engine compartment the darn thing will quit squealing. i think this would be so much easier to fix if the noise was constant. continued frustration is working on me. have used the good old fashioned long screwdriver as a way to listen to the alternator and power steering pump and hear no abnormal noises coming from them. have not figured out how to get to the water pump yet. if that was going bad though i would think that it would start leaking. i wish it was fixed cause the squeal is killing me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.