Serpentine belt replacement help 1997 wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Serpentine belt replacement help 1997 wrangler

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 03-18-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
pedal_damn_it
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Serpentine belt replacement help 1997 wrangler

I have been searching for an answer to this question for about 5 hours now and cannot seem to find the correct answer. I am trying to replace my Serpentine belt off my 1997 I6 Wrangler. There is no 1/2 inch drive belt tensioner on it. There is no adjustment screw (RED BOX) like in this picture ( http://www.nakedjeep.com/Projects/TT...x/TTubes10.jpg ). I have the Haynes manual and it tells me to loosen the belt then remove it. Thanks that helps. I can see that I can just loosen the idler pulley with a 15mm socket but I am not sure how i would replace the tension back on.

I am sure I can get it off I just like to be sure I know what I am doing to get the correct tension. I have just finished installing my lift and new clutch on my jeep but feel stupid I can't figure this out. Thanks for any help you can give.

Thanks!

pedal_damn_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The tensioner should be automatic. Put the socket on the tensioner and it should loosen the belt enough to get it off and the new one back ob
Unread 03-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
trotter8
1997 TJ Wrangler 

See the wheel below the one with your blue squares? You need to loosen the center bolt on that wheel (this is the wheel that moves). Once that bolt is loose (not off) then you can turn the bolt in the red box to adjust the tension.
Unread 03-18-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
pedal_damn_it
1997 TJ Wrangler 

double
Unread 03-18-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
pedal_damn_it
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter8 View Post
See the wheel below the one with your blue squares? You need to loosen the center bolt on that wheel (this is the wheel that moves). Once that bolt is loose (not off) then you can turn the bolt in the red box to adjust the tension.
Thats just it. my jeep does not have the bolt in the RED BOX. I am now thinking the original owner did some of his own "custom" mods. Thanks for the heads up. I will run out and get a bolt and nut on the way home.
Unread 03-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #6
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedal_damn_it View Post
Thats just it. my jeep does not have the bolt in the RED BOX. So I am guess I need to go out and buy a new bolt and nut (or find one).
So if you look behind tension pulley, just below the power steering pump, there isn't a very long bolt? In other words this pulley can move up and down freely?
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 06:59 AM   #7
pedal_damn_it
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
So if you look behind tension pulley, just below the power steering pump, there isn't a very long bolt? In other words this pulley can move up and down freely?
There is a slit that that when I loosen the bolt it will (it should) slide up and release the tension. I just was unsure how to replace the tension. I am guessing I need to get that bolt that is pictured in the RED SQUARE in the picture. I am going to go look at it again during the day today. Anyone know how it is held in? Is it threaded on the black metal bracket? Thanks for your help everyone.
Unread 03-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #8
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedal_damn_it View Post
There is a slit that that when I loosen the bolt it will (it should) slide up and release the tension. I just was unsure how to replace the tension. I am guessing I need to get that bolt that is pictured in the RED SQUARE in the picture. I am going to go look at it again during the day today. Anyone know how it is held in? Is it threaded on the black metal bracket? Thanks for your help everyone.
I find it hard to believe that bolt is missing. If the tension bolt was missing you would have no tension in the system and nothing would work.

There should be a very long bolt at an angle behind the tensioner pulley, by turning the bolt clockwise or counterclockwise it moves the whole pulley up and down, either relieving pressure on the belt or tightening the belt.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
pedal_damn_it
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
I find it hard to believe that bolt is missing. If the tension bolt was missing you would have no tension in the system and nothing would work.

There should be a very long bolt at an angle behind the tensioner pulley, by turning the bolt clockwise or counterclockwise it moves the whole pulley up and down, either relieving pressure on the belt or tightening the belt.
You mean the bolt that is circled in red in the picture right? Then yes it is missing. That is why I am so confused.
Unread 03-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #10
sprad42183
1997 TJ Wrangler 

take a picture of your pulley.

Rampage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sprad42183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
rudyyj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I broke the long adjusting bolt (in red square) before. My bolt had corroded where it passes thru the block that the pully bolt goes thru or someone before me didn't losen the idler pulley bolt before tryingto adjust the tension. the idler pulley bolt is what maintains tension once it is established. i was able to rig it well enough to get to the dealer by pushing down on the pulley and then tightening the idler pully bolt. So my guess is you need to replace the adjusting bolt and the block it passes thru. wasn't expensive at the dealer

do you have the hole for the red square bolt?

rudyyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #12
pedal_damn_it
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here are the pictures I just took:

Unread 03-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
pedal_damn_it
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyyj View Post
I broke the long adjusting bolt (in red square) before. My bolt had corroded where it passes thru the block that the pully bolt goes thru or someone before me didn't losen the idler pulley bolt before tryingto adjust the tension. the idler pulley bolt is what maintains tension once it is established. i was able to rig it well enough to get to the dealer by pushing down on the pulley and then tightening the idler pully bolt. So my guess is you need to replace the adjusting bolt and the block it passes thru. wasn't expensive at the dealer

do you have the hole for the red square bolt?
Yes, So I am guess that is my problem. Just need to get that bolt. Is that all you purchased? anything else?
Unread 03-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #14
rudyyj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yes...i can see the hole in the bracket and the remains of the adjusting bolt...i would also buy the "block"

the red is the "block" i am referring to it will have two threaded hols at 90 degree to each other. one for the adjusting bolt the other for the idler pulley bolt. the green is the remains of the adjusting bolt.
rudyyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #15
sprad42183
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yep, get a new bolt, remove the old snaped one and you should be good to go.

Rampage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sprad42183 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.