serp belt tensioner stuck? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > serp belt tensioner stuck?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Utfan010
2004 TJ Wrangler 

serp belt tensioner stuck?

i was trying to locate a squeal from the belt assembly earlier today when i took the belt off i lubed up the idler pulleys and was going to put the belt back on when i noticed that when i would turn the tensioner bolt it would not move AT ALL it is just stuck i had a cheater bar and a whole can of pb blaster on it and came back and still would not move. what id recommended i have the 2.5L 199 SE, i did get the belt back on but it was an hour long process and i did not get the squeak to go away either, but im still concerned about the tensioner..

jeep-idler-pulley.jpg   jeep-tensioner.jpg  
Unread 12-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
Rubicon_Rob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How exactly did you get the belt off and on?

The idler pulley bolt or the adjusting bolt wont turn?

Not trying to be a smartass but you do know you loosen the bolt at the idler pulley a couple turns and then use the long worm bolt to adjust the tension.
Rubicon_Rob04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The tension adjuster on my '97 2.5 was stuck just as bad. I soaked it with PB for hrs and I believe I ended up putting a 1/2" impact on it and when it finally came loose I thought I broke something. And after working on it for 2+ hr's i probably would have been fine with the adjuster breaking so i could just replace it You have to loosen the idler pulley bolt a few turns if you don't already know before you can turn the adjuster.

Once you do get it free, run the adjuster up and down the bolt with anti-seeze several times so it doesn't stick again. Mine works smoothly now
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
Utfan010
2004 TJ Wrangler 

alright i saturate it in pb blaster and break out the impact haha, but no i did loosen up the ider pulley quite a few turns but the adjuster bolt it seized up inside of the block where th idler pulley screws into. and me and my dad and a friend man handled the belt back....pretty tough to do.

Tags
serpentine belt , squeak , tensioner

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.