post #1 of Old 12-22-2010, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Utfan010
2004 TJ Wrangler 

serp belt tensioner stuck?

i was trying to locate a squeal from the belt assembly earlier today when i took the belt off i lubed up the idler pulleys and was going to put the belt back on when i noticed that when i would turn the tensioner bolt it would not move AT ALL it is just stuck i had a cheater bar and a whole can of pb blaster on it and came back and still would not move. what id recommended i have the 2.5L 199 SE, i did get the belt back on but it was an hour long process and i did not get the squeak to go away either, but im still concerned about the tensioner..

Attached Thumbnails
jeep idler pulley.jpg   jeep tensioner.jpg  

when in doubt, press the skinny pedal!
post #2 of Old 12-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Rubicon_Rob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How exactly did you get the belt off and on?

The idler pulley bolt or the adjusting bolt wont turn?

Not trying to be a smartass but you do know you loosen the bolt at the idler pulley a couple turns and then use the long worm bolt to adjust the tension.
post #3 of Old 12-23-2010, 10:26 PM
MO2500
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The tension adjuster on my '97 2.5 was stuck just as bad. I soaked it with PB for hrs and I believe I ended up putting a 1/2" impact on it and when it finally came loose I thought I broke something. And after working on it for 2+ hr's i probably would have been fine with the adjuster breaking so i could just replace it You have to loosen the idler pulley bolt a few turns if you don't already know before you can turn the adjuster.

Once you do get it free, run the adjuster up and down the bolt with anti-seeze several times so it doesn't stick again. Mine works smoothly now

ODonnell Motorsports
Build Thread
Instagram: @omsmike
post #4 of Old 12-25-2010, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Utfan010
2004 TJ Wrangler 

alright i saturate it in pb blaster and break out the impact haha, but no i did loosen up the ider pulley quite a few turns but the adjuster bolt it seized up inside of the block where th idler pulley screws into. and me and my dad and a friend man handled the belt back....pretty tough to do.

when in doubt, press the skinny pedal!

Tags
serpentine belt , squeak , tensioner