serp belt tensioner stuck? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > serp belt tensioner stuck?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Utfan010
2004 TJ Wrangler 

serp belt tensioner stuck?

i was trying to locate a squeal from the belt assembly earlier today when i took the belt off i lubed up the idler pulleys and was going to put the belt back on when i noticed that when i would turn the tensioner bolt it would not move AT ALL it is just stuck i had a cheater bar and a whole can of pb blaster on it and came back and still would not move. what id recommended i have the 2.5L 199 SE, i did get the belt back on but it was an hour long process and i did not get the squeak to go away either, but im still concerned about the tensioner..

jeep-idler-pulley.jpg   jeep-tensioner.jpg  
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Rubicon_Rob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How exactly did you get the belt off and on?

The idler pulley bolt or the adjusting bolt wont turn?

Not trying to be a smartass but you do know you loosen the bolt at the idler pulley a couple turns and then use the long worm bolt to adjust the tension.
Rubicon_Rob04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The tension adjuster on my '97 2.5 was stuck just as bad. I soaked it with PB for hrs and I believe I ended up putting a 1/2" impact on it and when it finally came loose I thought I broke something. And after working on it for 2+ hr's i probably would have been fine with the adjuster breaking so i could just replace it You have to loosen the idler pulley bolt a few turns if you don't already know before you can turn the adjuster.

Once you do get it free, run the adjuster up and down the bolt with anti-seeze several times so it doesn't stick again. Mine works smoothly now
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Utfan010
2004 TJ Wrangler 

alright i saturate it in pb blaster and break out the impact haha, but no i did loosen up the ider pulley quite a few turns but the adjuster bolt it seized up inside of the block where th idler pulley screws into. and me and my dad and a friend man handled the belt back....pretty tough to do.

Tags
serpentine belt , squeak , tensioner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.