September TJ of THE MONTH!! flatlander757 IS THE WINNER!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > September TJ of THE MONTH!! flatlander757 IS THE WINNER!!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

September TJ of THE MONTH!! flatlander757 IS THE WINNER!!

Congrats buddy. It was much deserved

Name: Tony Mester
Username: flatlander757
Mods (optional): Currently:
2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport that is street legal, daily drivable, and still financed.

---40x16-17" Swamper TSL LTBs on Allied 17x9" "Daytona" style steel beadlock wheels.

---NV3550 transmission(OEM)... likely to be an AW4 swap in the nearish future

---Dana 300 t-case - AA input shaft w/ clocking ring to make it closer to flat, HD 32 spline rear output(1350 CV), High Angle Driveline transfercase parking brake(stops the Jeep FAST considering the size and weight), 1310 front yoke(still stock for the time being)

---D60 front axle with 35 spline inners and outters

---D70HD rear axle, 35 spline full floater

---5.86 gears and Detroit lockers front and rear(cruise at 2300 rpms on the highway... perfect)

---Front suspension is custom long arms built by myself... the lowers are 2.25" dia 3/8" wall DOM with Ruff Stuff heim joints at the axle and Ballistic bushings at the frame end. Upper control arm is 2.0" dia 1/4" wall DOM w/ 3.0" Ballistic joints. Track bar is 1.75" dia 1/4" wall DOM with 7/8" heim joints at both ends. I reused my Full Traction 3" front springs... due to mounting and axle diameters there is actually about 4.5" of lift in the front if you compare axle centerlines to the frame with my axle vs stock axles. Front is also stretched forwards about 4" from stock.

---Rear suspension uses a set of XJ leaf springs flipped around backwards(so the short side is at the back... better departure angle) with I think 6.5" shackles... it is set up for a LOT of downtravel and about 4" of uptravel. The leaf springs are JC Whitney HD XJ springs, with XJ main and second leaves added into the pack for a little more height and weight carrying capacity. I have roughly 4.5-5" of lift in the back. Also I built a traction bar to control axle wrap... it is a "slip and twist" style that uses no shackle... it works great and keeps the bar out of the way and keeps the rear anti-squat % low which translates into no hopping.

---General dimensions:
-110" wheelbase
-82" outside of tires
-82" tall(top of center of soft top bow)
-28" under the front bumper
-26" under the rear bumper
-22.5" under the belly pan

---Steering stuff: I tapped the OEM Mercedes steering gear for hydro assist(search if you are interested!), it is powered by a PS pump out of a WJ Grand Cherokee w/ 4.7 that I modified for more pressure and flow, and it powers a 1.5" PSC hydro assist ram. Also have a PS cooler. Steering linkage consists of 1.5" dia 1/4" wall DOM tubing and 7/8" heim joints... all the bolts are 3/4" grade 8 with either step-down spacers or high-misalignment spacers where appropriate. I'm using a Waggy pitman arm(longer and flatter than stock TJ) to get full turning. The D60 high-steer arm is from Branik Motorsports.

---Belly skid... I made the belly skid myself out of 1/4" steel... I made it so that it "wraps" around my traction-bar crossmember then slides forward for 2 bolts to hold it all in place. I bent it first time out, but I was piecemealing it together the day before... I will be straightening it and adding bracing and it should be good then.

---Cobra 75 CB

---U-pol Raptor spray in liner on the tub(did a write-up on the stuff... search!)

---CJ-looking rear tail lights... they are incandecent and look much better than LEDs on a TJ IMO... courtesy of Walmart

---JK front turn signals

---What did I do to make it street legal in VA? I added some removable lights on poles that attached to the axles and extended out over the tires... they look kinda funny in the daytime(though not incredibly noticable at first) and look like epileptic fireflies at night!

Story (optional):
I got my TJ a couple months after graduating high school in 2007, almost immediately after that I left my job to go to another dealership for more pay... and thus the downward spiral of Jeep shenanigans began! If you refer to my build thread, you'll see that I planned on only 33s at first, and 35s for the "crazy" build... well while I was on 33s and looking to go up in tire size... I realized I would sink over $10k into my Jeep to be on "just" 35s... nothing really wrong with that, but for the price I could build something way better than bolting stuff on... I found Pirate 4x4 and bought a welder... then I just *happened* to find a set of built 1 tons for sale when I got my tax return.

I tried at start building my Jeep up in hopes that it would be done before my wedding in July of 2009, unfortunately it was only rolling at that time, but it slowly but surely got into a drivable state, and just recently was able to actually wheel it.

I found it incredibly hard to sum up my "story" into a nutshell for TJOTM, so if you want all the details, then you'll have to sift through my 100+ page build thread for the THOUSANDS of pictures and a lot of good tech and how-tos throughout worth reading. It's my "build" thread but a lot of it goes hand in hand with my life... from my marriage to my upcoming move to Ohio... If you have some free time, please take a look.

(Whoever sees this... I'm not sure if posting a link to my build thread is allowed or not, but if so, could you please add it right here for me?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/f...thread-457119/)

Pictures:

EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I guess no one wanted to congratulate you Tony
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thats because hes a ****.

Just kidding congrats tony
Unread 09-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
Camilo98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I will, Congratulations Tony! seriously though this is an amazing rig I've probably never posted on your build thread but have followed it for a while,
again great job on the build and keep up the good work, hope to see more pictures of this thing wheelin
Camilo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
m361
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That is one B.A.R. (BAD A$$ RIG)! Congrats!
m361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #6
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats ****er,

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
Thats because hes a ****.

Just kidding congrats tony

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo98 View Post
I will, Congratulations Tony! seriously though this is an amazing rig I've probably never posted on your build thread but have followed it for a while,
again great job on the build and keep up the good work, hope to see more pictures of this thing wheelin
Thanks! Can't wait to get caught up with money and stuff now that we're in Ohio... should be able to wheel it either late this winter or spring time

Quote:
Originally Posted by m361 View Post
That is one B.A.R. (BAD A$$ RIG)! Congrats!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
Congrats ****er,

Congrats on not being last... If you had "purse-delete" to your mod list you would have done even better I bet

Been daily driving this thing here in Ohio... no problems yet. Can't wait to get caught up with everything and then wheel it.

Hoping to get a house about this time next year... once I get a garage I want to basically "rebuild" it... I have some wild plans for it

edit: And why ain't this a sticky yet?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #8
RickyR
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Congratulations..

RickyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

well deserved!
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
HHI-Dave
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats!
HHI-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats. Very nice build.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #12
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys!

Here are some more pics... it was really hard just choosing 3 for TJOTM

Here's the progress of my Jeep in a nutshell:

Quote:
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 10-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

In the Taco Bell drive through... it's first fast food place on 1 tons

Exhaust shop:

My little buddy CJ... he was way too wild and tore up our apartment so we couldn't keep him, but my in-laws have him now. Since he has another dog to play with he's much better behaved:

Dressed for Christmas:

Here are the goofy removable marker lights I needed to make it legal in VA... I have dubbed them "epileptic fireflies" since that's what they look like at night

Did a lot of redneck R+D and did hydro assist using the 03-06 TJ steering box. It's Mercedes built and I made a very well-documented thread regarding it's innards and showing how it works. You can search for that if you need it

My low-profile crossmember and transmission mount:

I have a flat skid that hangs about 2.25" below the frame rails... much better than the stock shovel.

Kinda see it here:

Quote:
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 10-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #14
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Good show, old boy...
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #15
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

At Starr Motors Off Road Day 2010 I got an award for "Best Engineered" vehicle... I think that's BS but I'm not going to refuse it

It worked great, but at that point I still had the stock t-case skid and there were a few other things I wanted to change/fix as well.

Joe at Starr Motors was cool enough to let me have my 22nd birthday party there in August... so I got to test the changes I made vs last time and it works SO much better.

Zach was there, Jake92321 was there, and a few friends from work and the local club as well.

My wife WAS looking out the side...

Here's a bit of a sequence shot:

Quote:
Currently Jeepless.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.