Sentry Key Replacement Options (I only have 1 key!) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Sentry Key Replacement Options (I only have 1 key!)

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-17-2008, 09:45 AM   #1
Boilermaker52
BO1LER UP

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sentry Key Replacement Options (I only have 1 key!)

When I got this Jeep (2002 TJ) it only came with 1 key. I didn't think it was a big deal. Well I received one of those rock keys that has the chip in it but when I read my manual about reprogramming it says I need two keys.

Can you program it with one? Has anyone tried?

How much does the dealership charge to cut/program a key (can they even do it with one) ?

I'd like to make one trip to the dealership to get it cut if I can program it myself!

Oh yeah, I tried searching and didn't find anytihng specific...

Unread 02-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

the not having 2 keys is going to be your killer. you will have to get help (dealer) to get it programmed.

i also got a `02 last year, but got 2 keys. i ordered a blank from ebay and a guy at lowes cut it for me FREE. then i was able to program it myself, again it takes 2 keys to do it yourself.

i have heard (but not confirmed) that some locksmiths may have what is needed to program the computer.
Unread 02-17-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
rubiweeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The locksmith that we go to for work can program keys with only one, they have a computer thing they hook up to it, probably the same thing the dealer does. It still costs almost $90 to have them do it though.

Its gonna be expensive either way you go.
Unread 02-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Stealership is your only option.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, Im in that same boat... So far I've just been praying I'll never lose my one key...
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You could just disable it, at least for the time being. Just tape or zip tie your key inside the dash somewhere (or cut off the head so you don't leave a key in there). Then any key will work.
djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #7
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker52 View Post
When I got this Jeep (2002 TJ) it only came with 1 key.
Can you program it with one? Has anyone tried?

How much does the dealership charge to cut/program a key (can they even do it with one) ?

I'd like to make one trip to the dealership to get it cut if I can program it myself!

Oh yeah, I tried searching and didn't find anytihng specific...
Buy 2 keys and have them cut. Then go to the dealer and have him program them. If you have 2 keys you can do it, but with one key it is a no-go. I had a key made and programed at the dealer for about $50.00. Store the 3rd key in a safe place.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i agree with having 2 extras, have the dealer (or locksmith) program 1 key. then with your original and the dealer made copy, you can program your 2nd new key. this way if you lose 1, you will still have 2 for the next time.

according to the manual, the computer can recognize 8 keys. i don't know if this is a total of 8 in its lifetime, or 8 at any given time. either way, you still should be well within the 8 limit.
Unread 02-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #9
Boilermaker52
BO1LER UP

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
have the dealer (or locksmith) program 1 key. then with your original and the dealer made copy, you can program your 2nd new key. this way if you lose 1, you will still have 2 for the next time.
This sounds like a good plan, so it is impossible with one key? Has anyone tried to simply re-insert the one key twice? Each key gets a unique code??

Unread 02-17-2008, 08:00 PM   #10
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I will try to explain it the best I can and in the simple terms as I understand it. If anyone wants to correct any mis-statements or add any info, feel free.

It is kind of like "rocket sience". Each key has a unique transponder. When you insert the key into the ignition, a device inside the steering column, near the igniton switch, emitts a current signal, this signal actualy creats a voltage/power source inside the key, which excites the transponder inside key to also emitt (or transmitt) a unique signal/frequency back to the device in response. This signal is then read by the device's reciever which feeds it to the computer. The computer can store in its memory, the unique frequency responses for up to 8 keys. If it recognizes the key being used, it will allow the car to run. If it does not recognize the frequency from the key, it will shut down the engine.

How did I do ??

You do need 2 keys to do it yourself. There is a write-up in your owner's manual. My son had a `98 explorer with the same system. We also bought a 3rd key (and programed it) for that when we first got it.
Unread 02-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #11
MontyTJ02
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
Buy 2 keys and have them cut. Then go to the dealer and have him program them. If you have 2 keys you can do it, but with one key it is a no-go. I had a key made and programed at the dealer for about $50.00. Store the 3rd key in a safe place.
WOAH What dealer is that? The one near me told me $125 for the key and programming. I told him to shove it and I will just be careful with the one key. I bought 2 more on Ebay for $10 and had them cut at the local locksmith for a few bucks. Now at least I can get into the Jeep with the doors locked and the hardtop on. Stealerships suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djt283 View Post
You could just disable it, at least for the time being. Just tape or zip tie your key inside the dash somewhere (or cut off the head so you don't leave a key in there). Then any key will work.
Does this actually work? If it does then I could be all set for the time being.
FireFighter's Jeep Club #84

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Im getting tired of thinking...guess I'll do some wishful drinking.
MontyTJ02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 09:54 PM   #12
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyXJ91 View Post
WOAH What dealer is that? The one near me told me $125 for the key and programming.
That was on my old PT Cruiser. Funny thing is, my son took his Neon in t6o the same place about the same time and they charged him $83.00 for the same service. Go figure. I did not have a key cut. They ordered a new key using my key code or VIN and programed it.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2008, 02:18 AM   #13
sryan2k1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
How did I do ??

Pretty good =) There is a little computer in the key that when power is applied (inductively, like the way a Sonicare toothbrush charges actually) emits a radio signal with it's unique fingerprint/ID. The security module in the ECU stores these unique IDs, not the other way around (the keys aren't programed for the vehicles, the vehicles are programed to remember specific transponder IDs)

Without two the ECU won't let you add another one, and unless you happen to have the $10,000 DRB-III module to reprogram the ECU, a dealer is going to have to do it.

Also the memory can be erased as many times as necessary, so it's 8 keys at any one time, not over a lifetime.

And yes if you jam the transponder close enough to the antenna (around the cylinder) you will be able to start it with any key that fits, since the other key will respond when the security module query's it.
sryan2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #14
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryan2k1 View Post
Pretty good =)
And yes if you jam the transponder close enough to the antenna (around the cylinder) you will be able to start it with any key that fits, since the other key will respond when the security module query's it.
It should also be stated that if you do this, the key used to turn the cylinder should not be a transponder. If 2 keys respond, that will "confuse" the ECU.

You can have a standard $2.00 key cut to use on doors and start your Jeep. If you use double sided tape and mount the transponder's key top to the steering column, a standard key can be used.

You just lose the protection of the secure key feature.
Unread 02-18-2008, 09:46 AM   #15
RUBtjICON
1995 ZJ 

Does all new Jeeps have the sentry key ? I had both keys for my X model, but for the Rubi I only got one, and it is a copy.
All Who Drive Jeeps Are Not Jeepers - Willy 3:16
RUBtjICON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.