Self made Insta-trunk? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Self made Insta-trunk?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
iceman123187
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Self made Insta-trunk?

I want some ideas to cover the back seat area and put stuff on top without paying $300. I have the backseat removed. Let me know some ideas. I would like it to be water proof but not necessary.

1999 TJ|3" Black Diamond Susp.| 1.25 JKS BL| 1" JKS BMML|33x12.50's| 15x8 Eagle Alloys| 4.88 Gears| D35 and Detroit Tru Trac in the rear| D30| NATES 4x4 front and rear bumpers| Hella 500's| HI Lift| Rattle Guard Bed Liner
iceman123187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
kswyg001
2010 JK Wrangler 

mine isn't waterproof, and i do have the back seat in, but its simply a piece of plywood thats cut to cover the gap between the back of the back seat and the tailgate. its simple, cheap, and does what i need it to- keep prying eyes out of my 'trunk' area. i also painted it black just because i didnt like the bare plywood look.
kswyg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 11:55 PM   #3
incredibull
2004 TJ Wrangler 

There are quite a few good lockable bins that will fit right in the back area. I have one bolted down to the body where the rear seat brackets used to bolt to. I throw a big fat padlock on it and I've never had it messed with.
incredibull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
mudslinger97117
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I cut down an old 2 drawer file cabenet and have a 2 pc board that goes on top so it is a flat space for the dog. It provides nice deep storage with deviders. I keep recovery gear in one and fluids and tools in the other.
Ohh and the wife had to pait them stripper camo~
mudslinger97117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2009, 08:04 AM   #5
Weeeee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslinger97117 View Post
I cut down an old 2 drawer file cabenet and have a 2 pc board that goes on top so it is a flat space for the dog. It provides nice deep storage with deviders. I keep recovery gear in one and fluids and tools in the other.
Ohh and the wife had to pait them stripper camo~
LOL love the camo paint job
Weeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I made one of of scrap plywood, and used screws for zero dollars.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
mudslinger97117
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, the white should of been done 1st so it would not stand out so much.
mudslinger97117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
cberrykix
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Trunk

I made a trunk for mine. I removed the back seat and cut a piece of 1/2" plywood to fit on top. It covers from the tailgate to the back of the front seats, and rests below the edges of the tub on each side. I had to notch it for the tailgate latch. I used some cotton padding on top and then covered it with heavy duty cammo print material. At the front end I have another piece of 1/2" plywood vertical with L-brackets attached to the top piece. A couple of short tie-down straps secure the top piece (from below) to the factory tie downs on the floor. The trunk is accessible only with the tailgate open. It is sturdy enough to haul groceries or whatever on top. All I have to do is open the rear window and toss stuff on top. Open the tailgate and I can get into the trunk.

P.S. Mine is not waterproof, but you could use vinyl material or paint it to keep water out. If I spray mine with Scotchguard it might be waterproof, have to think about that.........
cberrykix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #9
Dead_End
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've also got a piace of plywood cut to fit between the tailgate and the back of the seat. It isn't really all that secure, but it comes in handy. Makes a nice little shelf too.
Dead_End is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #10
iceman123187
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cberrykix View Post
I made a trunk for mine. I removed the back seat and cut a piece of 1/2" plywood to fit on top. It covers from the tailgate to the back of the front seats, and rests below the edges of the tub on each side. I had to notch it for the tailgate latch. I used some cotton padding on top and then covered it with heavy duty cammo print material. At the front end I have another piece of 1/2" plywood vertical with L-brackets attached to the top piece. A couple of short tie-down straps secure the top piece (from below) to the factory tie downs on the floor. The trunk is accessible only with the tailgate open. It is sturdy enough to haul groceries or whatever on top. All I have to do is open the rear window and toss stuff on top. Open the tailgate and I can get into the trunk.

P.S. Mine is not waterproof, but you could use vinyl material or paint it to keep water out. If I spray mine with Scotchguard it might be waterproof, have to think about that.........
Do you have any pics of this. This sounds like a good idea. THanks
1999 TJ|3" Black Diamond Susp.| 1.25 JKS BL| 1" JKS BMML|33x12.50's| 15x8 Eagle Alloys| 4.88 Gears| D35 and Detroit Tru Trac in the rear| D30| NATES 4x4 front and rear bumpers| Hella 500's| HI Lift| Rattle Guard Bed Liner
iceman123187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #11
alecmcmahon

im not sure if you just mean a hard top cover for the trunk area, or a cargo box type of deal.

but this is what I made, 3/4 ply wood and I raptor lined it.

Unread 10-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #12
littledevilTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

alecmcmahon i like that, looks like it works great.

Florida Specific Forum
www.floridajeepers.net
littledevilTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #13
alecmcmahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledevilTJ View Post
alecmcmahon i like that, looks like it works great.
Thanks, it's prob. one of my fav. mods i've done. Everything is very easy to access, no digging around in bins and totes looking for something on the bottom of the box.

Check out my build thread for more details about it & feel free to ask any questions.
Unread 10-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #14
cberrykix
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman123187 View Post
Do you have any pics of this. This sounds like a good idea. THanks
No pictures right now. I'll try to get some later this week.
cberrykix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #15
AlexGeorgakis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I got this cause I didn't want to make something out of cheap old plywood. Turns out that cheap old plywood would have probably been a better choice.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.