Seeking the "collective wisdom" on lockers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Seeking the "collective wisdom" on lockers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 09-03-2002, 11:58 AM   #1
moose

Seeking the "collective wisdom" on lockers

Have been on the list over a month now, and learned much!

After 12 years with my YJ, I am contemplating a new TJ. Fueled by various conversations on the list, I was all hyped about the Rubicon. Then, reality set in. I'll list my requirements & uses below - and leave it to all of you to tell me what I "really" need in the way of a new Jeep:) (FWIW - I DON'T want a Liberty:)

1) I DO NOT go off-road, at least not the way most of you crazy yahoos do!:):) Instead, I do lots of backroads, fire roads, and "improved" 2-track trails. My major concern is a) gravel/rock damage to undercarraige components d/t my high rate of speed, and b) hitting fairly large potholes at speed.

2) The new jeeper will be my daily ride, as well as a vehicle that will have many highway (60-70 mph) miles put on it.

3) I am planning a trip to Alaska next Summer (and the Trans Labrador Highway the following Summer.) I will be going all of the way to Prudhoe Bay on the Dalton "highway". There could be mucho deep mud &thawed permafrost along the way. There WILL be mucho gravel and rocks - which I take at a pretty good pace:) Also - I will also be putting on nearly 8k highway miles to get to & from Alaska!

As you can see - I will be using my Jeep as more of an "adventure tourer" than an off-road vehicle (the same way I use my BMW R1100GS morotcycle:) My questions/concerns are these -

*Do I really need a vehicle with locking diffs? With not really going OR, will they be that useful fording rivers, going through washed out, muddy roads, etc.? And - will they pose any problems in a vehicle as a daily driver, i.e., excessive wear/problems with constant turning & whatnot?

* Even with the 4-speed auto, I'm concerned about the 4.10 in the Rubicon. Am I correct, most of the other Wranglers (2003) will come with 3.73s?? A better choice for the daily stuff, as well as the highway miles to & from Alaska and Labrador?

Any other concerns, ideas, etc., that any of you guys can think of? And as much as I hate to ask this question - would a Liberty (with appropriate skid plates, etc.) actually be a better choice? (Please say NO:)

TIA - MUCHO!

jm

Unread 09-03-2002, 12:15 PM   #2
Bob J

Re: Seeking the "collective wisdom" on lockers

Quote:
1) I DO NOT go off-road, at least not the way most of you crazy yahoos do! Instead, I do lots of backroads, fire roads, and "improved" 2-track trails. My major concern is a) gravel/rock damage to undercarraige components d/t my high rate of speed, and b) hitting fairly large potholes at speed.
skid plates and steel wheels with lots of rubber wrapped around them to protect them (big tires)

Quote:
2) The new jeeper will be my daily ride, as well as a vehicle that will have many highway (60-70 mph) miles put on it.
31"s on a TJ 4.0 w/ auto, no lift

Quote:
3) I am planning a trip to Alaska next Summer (and the Trans Labrador Highway the following Summer.) I will be going all of the way to Prudhoe Bay on the Dalton "highway". There could be mucho deep mud &thawed permafrost along the way. There WILL be mucho gravel and rocks - which I take at a pretty good pace Also - I will also be putting on nearly 8k highway miles to get to & from Alaska!
Good 31" M/Ts, a front locker would be good too.

Quote:
As you can see - I will be using my Jeep as more of an "adventure tourer" than an off-road vehicle (the same way I use my BMW R1100GS morotcycle My questions/concerns are these -

*Do I really need a vehicle with locking diffs? With not really going OR, will they be that useful fording rivers, going through washed out, muddy roads, etc.? And - will they pose any problems in a vehicle as a daily driver, i.e., excessive wear/problems with constant turning & whatnot?
I don't need any of this, you can probably get away with crappy foreign pick-up. However you want to keep this longer, a front locker will be helpful, if you choose a more expensive route, selectable lockers would be perfect, when you turn them off, they don't affect the daily driver aspect at all. For cheaper a front auto-locker like the no-slip will be good, you will only know it's there in 4WD.

Quote:
* Even with the 4-speed auto, I'm concerned about the 4.10 in the Rubicon. Am I correct, most of the other Wranglers (2003) will come with 3.73s?? A better choice for the daily stuff, as well as the highway miles to & from Alaska and Labrador?
Stick with a Sport or Sahara, if you want to save some money, just get an '02

Quote:
Any other concerns, ideas, etc., that any of you guys can think of? And as much as I hate to ask this question - would a Liberty (with appropriate skid plates, etc.) actually be a better choice? (Please say NO)

TIA - MUCHO!

jm
I've heard a Libby with ARBs front and rear can do many a wonderous thing

Sig v.55
Bob J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2002, 12:24 PM   #3
Parajeeper

Do I really need a vehicle with locking diffs? With not really going OR, will they be that useful fording rivers, going through washed out, muddy roads, etc.? And - will they pose any problems in a vehicle as a daily driver, i.e., excessive wear/problems with constant turning & whatnot?

No you do not need locking differentials if you are only going to be running backroads, fire roads, and "improved" 2-track trails.

Even with the 4-speed auto, I'm concerned about the 4.10 in the Rubicon. Am I correct, most of the other Wranglers (2003) will come with 3.73s?? A better choice for the daily stuff, as well as the highway miles to & from Alaska and Labrador?

The Rubicon may be overkill. A Sport or even the 4banger SE if you are concerned about gas mileage would be sufficient.

Any other concerns, ideas, etc., that any of you guys can think of? And as much as I hate to ask this question - would a Liberty (with appropriate skid plates, etc.) actually be a better choice? (Please say NO

I do not think the liberty is a better choice for anybody. Get the 2003 or even try to get a deal on a 2002 Sport or SE with a hardtop. Depending on your tastes will be if you want the auto or stick. I prefer the auto. The 4banger stick gets the best gas mileage rating and should be fine for you applications. Get the Dana 44 rear though cause as we have all heard the " I only do minor trails" comments before, you willl soon be hit by the upgrade bug and will be glad you payed the extra 4-800 for the D44 rear end. As for the skid plates protecting the other side. GO and get yourself a skidrow oil pan skid plate for 225 (fits 97-2002 unsure about 2003 and be done with it. And SLOW down don't fly over potholes, any vehicle regardless of type will wear quicker by abusing it in this way. Yes the jeep will take it, but why do you want to do that?
Parajeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2002, 12:29 PM   #4
'drack

Re: Re: Seeking the "collective wisdom" on lockers

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob J

I've heard a Libby with ARBs front and rear can do many a wonderous thing
And I've seen said Libby do these things . The only problem with the KJ is the weak design of the front axle housing. This is a problem and doesn't require hardcore wheeling to destroy. Not sure if the factory has dealt with the issue yet though. But it can be quite the capable little trail vehicle with room and comfort to boot.................no I'm not getting one .

Obviously I'd get a TJ, but I'm biased . If you're worried about space and comfort maybe a KJ is the answer. I use my TJ as a daily driver and am pleased with the ride(lifted with 33's none the less) and I find space for the wife, a two year old, and dog too .

Keith
Unread 09-03-2002, 12:54 PM   #5
Bob J

ah, about tops, I think I remember you saying you will be taking this back to warmer weather, in which case you might want to get dual tops, leave the softtop at home while you take your trip, it's better to get the top as an option, then pay full price for it later.

Sig v.55
Bob J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2002, 09:07 AM   #6
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

First, let me say I Love my TJ. That said, it may not be the best choice for you if you want a daily driver that occasionally sees some dirt roads. TJS have all the aerodynamic qualities of a brick )ie bad mileage and wind buffets can be bad). The ride isn't the softest around and every little bump can be felt and may cause you to move around on the road (short wheelbase at work). My wife isn't a fan of long drives (read trip to Alaska and back) in the TJ.

I have to agree with 'drack, the Liberty is a pretty capable vehicle. I saw two in action at the Jeep Jamboree in LA. They went everywhere that the stock TJs did and had leather seats! Ride smoother, handle better and better mileage. No I am not getting one either, but it would be my wife's choice (we almost bought one for her).

Take a bunch of test drives. And for a bit of blasphemy of this site: take a look at the Suburu Outback, all-wheel drive is awesome for dirt, snow, ice and rain.

HTH
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2002, 09:34 PM   #7
saharajeepn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Pay now or pay later,get the Rubicon.Yes it might be a little OVERKILL for ya but you'll have everything you need but a winch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.