see if anyone can make sense of this (alignment/control arm issues) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > see if anyone can make sense of this (alignment/control arm issues)

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
nate94gt
1999 TJ Wrangler 

see if anyone can make sense of this (alignment/control arm issues)

When i bought my jeep used it had a 3-4" lift, crappy adjustable LCAs in the front w/ stock UCAs.

I since replaced the upper UCAs w/ adjustable ones because i had a bad bushing in the stocker, so it would be a good time to get adjustable uppers. I then noticed that my left lower control arm mount that is on the frame was bent pretty good.

I pulled the front driveshaft at that point to lube up the slipyoke and check the ujoints. During that process i noticed that i could barely get the front ujoint out of the yoke because the axle was back too far (the jeep was on a lift w/ the suspension hanging). Well thats no good, its a snapped transfer case waiting to happen or some other expensive damage i would think. So i ordered up the adjustable lowers so i could move the axle forward a bit more to give the driveshaft some play while the suspension is drooped.

So today i got the adjustable LCAs installed. One mistake was NOT measuring my wheelbase before i began. Whoops. What i did do, was measure my old LCAs. they were at like 17" center to center. now i knew that was too short because of the lack of play in my front driveshaft. I extended them out to 18" before i installed them, giving me a place to start.

When i got finished, i measured the wheelbase to make sure that it was even on both sides. i adjusted it a tad and it came out to about 94" on both sides. that said, my left LCA was a bit longer than the drivers side to make up for the tweaked mount. I then adjusted the uppers to make sure the pinion angle was ok. i installed those at the same length.

I thought all was going to be well and took it out for a test drive. now the steering wheel is off center (is turned to the left while driving straight) and the jeep now pulls to the right. Why would that be? Should i just readjust the LCAs to make sure they are the same length? If they were the same length, the wheelbase would be off a bit (half an inch i believe), so what in the alignment would make up for the pulling to the right? Should i also make the left UCA arm longer than the right UCA?

Before i did all this, the tires appeared to wear even, the jeep did not pull, and the steering wheel was centered. I do ASSUME, however, that the wheelbase was different on both sides.

yes, it would be best to get new CA mounts, but if i was going to get new mounts, then at that point, if you are going to hack off the old mounts, why replace them w/ another mount in the same location? it would be best just get a long arm set up, so then im spending a whole lot more than intended

this post is kind of out of order a bit, i just starting going as i thought of stuff

nate94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Fropleyqk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Unless something else is out of whack, all of your problems are stemming from the bent CA bracket. I see your logic of going from new mounts>LA kit but honestly, unless you have the money, that doesnt make sense. Sure a LA kit would get rid of the stock bracket but is that what you want to do? A new CA bracket is pretty cheap. I say hack off the bent one and melt a new one on then call it a day. If you leave the bent one, youre going to be chasing this issue forever. Fix it right and call it done.
Fropleyqk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lca , uca , adjustable , control arm , alignment , steering , steering system , pinion angle , uneven , advice , help , suggestions

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.