see if anyone can make sense of this (alignment/control arm issues) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > see if anyone can make sense of this (alignment/control arm issues)

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
nate94gt
1999 TJ Wrangler 

see if anyone can make sense of this (alignment/control arm issues)

When i bought my jeep used it had a 3-4" lift, crappy adjustable LCAs in the front w/ stock UCAs.

I since replaced the upper UCAs w/ adjustable ones because i had a bad bushing in the stocker, so it would be a good time to get adjustable uppers. I then noticed that my left lower control arm mount that is on the frame was bent pretty good.

I pulled the front driveshaft at that point to lube up the slipyoke and check the ujoints. During that process i noticed that i could barely get the front ujoint out of the yoke because the axle was back too far (the jeep was on a lift w/ the suspension hanging). Well thats no good, its a snapped transfer case waiting to happen or some other expensive damage i would think. So i ordered up the adjustable lowers so i could move the axle forward a bit more to give the driveshaft some play while the suspension is drooped.

So today i got the adjustable LCAs installed. One mistake was NOT measuring my wheelbase before i began. Whoops. What i did do, was measure my old LCAs. they were at like 17" center to center. now i knew that was too short because of the lack of play in my front driveshaft. I extended them out to 18" before i installed them, giving me a place to start.

When i got finished, i measured the wheelbase to make sure that it was even on both sides. i adjusted it a tad and it came out to about 94" on both sides. that said, my left LCA was a bit longer than the drivers side to make up for the tweaked mount. I then adjusted the uppers to make sure the pinion angle was ok. i installed those at the same length.

I thought all was going to be well and took it out for a test drive. now the steering wheel is off center (is turned to the left while driving straight) and the jeep now pulls to the right. Why would that be? Should i just readjust the LCAs to make sure they are the same length? If they were the same length, the wheelbase would be off a bit (half an inch i believe), so what in the alignment would make up for the pulling to the right? Should i also make the left UCA arm longer than the right UCA?

Before i did all this, the tires appeared to wear even, the jeep did not pull, and the steering wheel was centered. I do ASSUME, however, that the wheelbase was different on both sides.

yes, it would be best to get new CA mounts, but if i was going to get new mounts, then at that point, if you are going to hack off the old mounts, why replace them w/ another mount in the same location? it would be best just get a long arm set up, so then im spending a whole lot more than intended

this post is kind of out of order a bit, i just starting going as i thought of stuff

nate94gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Unless something else is out of whack, all of your problems are stemming from the bent CA bracket. I see your logic of going from new mounts>LA kit but honestly, unless you have the money, that doesnt make sense. Sure a LA kit would get rid of the stock bracket but is that what you want to do? A new CA bracket is pretty cheap. I say hack off the bent one and melt a new one on then call it a day. If you leave the bent one, youre going to be chasing this issue forever. Fix it right and call it done.

Tags
lca , uca , adjustable , control arm , alignment , steering , steering system , pinion angle , uneven , advice , help , suggestions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.