Secret / Discrete Storage Compartment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Secret / Discrete Storage Compartment

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-20-2010, 05:26 AM   #1
PINKBOYD
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Secret / Discrete Storage Compartment

Greetings Jeep Heads

As you all are aware the soft tops we have don't make for the most secure vehicle parked on the street. I am interested in having a secrete compartment in my jeep, big enough to hold a laptop or more. It would be perfect if it was completely unnoticeable. I was thinking that under the rear seat would work perfect because the floor is nice and flat, I haven't however mustered the motivation to climb under there and see if there's any extra space. You guys seem to know everything about every nut and bolt of the thing so I figures you would be the perfect audience to ask

I would love to hear all your advice on hiding your valuables inside or out of the jeep.

Thanks for your help!
-PinkBoyd

Unread 07-20-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKBOYD View Post
...I would love to hear all your advice on hiding your valuables inside or out of the jeep...
Anything left unattended in a Jeep with no top or with a soft top is considered expendable and the owner should express no surprise or anger when the items are stolen.
Unread 07-20-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
bdmead01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tuffy makes an under rear seat drawer for CJ, YJ and TJ. I've never used it and it seems pricey, but it would fit your needs.

Not sure how to get this link to work, but here goes...

Tuffy 021 - Tuffy Under Seat Security Drawer for 76-06 Jeep® CJ, YJ, & TJ - Quadratec
bdmead01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 05:42 AM   #4
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Gonna make a trip over the border, eh. Good luck with that.
Cuder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 06:10 AM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a secret hiding place in my Jeep.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
saint_louligan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Anything left unattended in a Jeep with no top or with a soft top is considered expendable and the owner should express no surprise or anger when the items are stolen.
This.

That said, my sister gave me a kick-*** lock box for Christmas that would be the ticket if it were larger. It's a frame that bolts to any mounting surface (vertically or horizontally) and a locked padded case that locks into the frame. The case & frame are 1/16" steel, the case itself is padded, about 2" X 10" x 10" - probably designed for a handgun. If it were big enough for a laptop, it would be perfect. There's no manufacturer's mark on mine, but with enough searching online, I'll bet you can locate something similar.
saint_louligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
longbluerubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just bought a lockable composite plastic bin at Wally-World that's made for the back of a pickup truck to put in the back of my LJ, I'm going to find a way to bolt it down (so it's removable). Is something like 31" long by 13" by 17". Don't think it'll fit behind the back seat of a TJ but fits fine behind an LJ rear seat. Been looking for something for a while to be able to lock things up since I just run with a bikini for half of the year.
1" BL, JKS adj front & rear trackbars, JKS discos
33" BFG A/T
longbluerubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 06:55 AM   #8
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Better not leave your girlfriend or wife in the passenger seat while you run in to prepay for your gas, then...if she gets abducted, you won't be allowed to express surprise or anger over it.

In all seriousness, I think I'm permitted to be just a little bit angry when someone steals from me or purloins my property...however, we must realize that there are elements within society that are pathetic enough to engage in such activities and thus, we have to defend against them. I suggest the under-seat lockboxes, as they're out-of-sight enough to not even tempt Jeep-raiding scum to try and crack them.

As always, if you can't find what you want, build it!

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 07:01 AM   #9
Doogie1022
2012 JK Wrangler 

I usually keep my secretions to my self before or after riding in the Jeep. If it's an emergency, an old coffee cup works well, or maybe a tupper-ware container from lunch if I need a secrete compartment.

Doogie1022 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #10
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Anything left unattended in a Jeep should be considered expendable and the owner should express no surprise when the items are stolen.
Fixed the quote above for you.

Leaving items such as a handgun, laptop computer, cash, or really anything of any value in any vehicle, more espeically Jeep is just asking for trouble. Full metal doors and a hardtop is really not much better than having no doors or top. Having a visible lockbox bolted to your Jeep is about like having a large sign hanging over your Jeep that says "Valuables here" with an arrow pointing to the lockbox.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
Cyercat
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The small Tuffy metal drawers bolted to the floor will get very hot, too hot for a laptop. Some folks have fabbed a secret compartment under the body directly under the front seats.
Cyercat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #12
Speed94
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Agreed...I leave chapstick that I pee on and wipe my dogs poo with in the cupholder and some really old gum
97 TJ PD club member #007
Speed94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #13
PINKBOYD
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I have a secret hiding place in my Jeep.
Tell me!!! lol or is it a secret.....
Unread 07-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #14
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKBOYD View Post
Tell me!!! lol or is it a secret.....
Even if it is a secret, he can tell us as we won't tell anyone
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #15
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

something under the hood would probably be pretty descrete. But that would probably be to much heat for electronic items like a laptop.

Wonder if something bolted to the underside of the jeep wouldn't be a bad idea, something made to look like a skid plate?

Another idea maybe, I've seen bolt-on 2 or 3 inch cowls for your hood, you could probably install one of those, but don't actually cut a hole in the hood, so it would be a little compartment instead of an air vent. That would be large enough and flat enough for a laptop. Would still probably get hot, but probably not as hot as under the hood. Would probably be a PITA to actually use (having to un-bolt it each time you want to get into it) but you might be able to rig some sort of discrete locking pin or something. That would probably be quite discreet, a fake hood cowl.

Tags
security , storage , TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.