Seatbelt Mount Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Seatbelt Mount Question

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 07-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
EugeneTheTJ
You want some respect?

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Seatbelt Mount Question

I'll try to explain this as best as I can without pics...

I've long since removed my rollbar covers and I've been running my seatbelt as it came from the factory with the black plastic covering over the channel it mounts in. I was wondering if I could remove the channel altogether and just mount the seatbelt into the bung at the top (currently the bolt running through there holds the top of the mounting channel in place).

Would this be safe enough or is the channel there to serve as multiple mounting points?

Would I be better off (safety wise) just removing the gold female clips that the plastic cover mounts to and leave the seatbelt mounted through the middle hole (in the channel)?

If this isn't making sense I'll try to dig up some pics.

EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
EugeneTheTJ
You want some respect?

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bump...no one's done this?
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is actually something I have been wanting to do for a long time. I'm curious as well.
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you have the adjuster in the top position, the top bolt would see 80-90% of the force in a collision. Since it's safety equipment, there is probably a safety margin of 200-300% built in. Based on these, I would go for it and mount it in the top hole. I can't tell you to do this, though, as I wouldn't want the liability if it doesn't work.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
EugeneTheTJ
You want some respect?

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I sent the resident expert a message on the subject. Hopefully he'll jump in here when he gets a chance.
Unread 07-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
EugeneTheTJ
You want some respect?

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bump for answers
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
rkwfxd
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneTheTJ View Post
I'll try to explain this as best as I can without pics...

I've long since removed my rollbar covers and I've been running my seatbelt as it came from the factory with the black plastic covering over the channel it mounts in. I was wondering if I could remove the channel altogether and just mount the seatbelt into the bung at the top (currently the bolt running through there holds the top of the mounting channel in place).

Would this be safe enough or is the channel there to serve as multiple mounting points?

Would I be better off (safety wise) just removing the gold female clips that the plastic cover mounts to and leave the seatbelt mounted through the middle hole (in the channel)?

If this isn't making sense I'll try to dig up some pics.
I removed my plastic stuff and mounted my belt in the top hole. Seems safe enough but I have not crashed and I hope not to.
rkwfxd is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.