Seat swapping questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Seat swapping questions

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Seat swapping questions

I'm going to swap front seats from my 2006 LJ with a forum member who has an older model TJ. I have the new style seats and he has the old style.

The reason we want to do this is that seats are like shoes, they either fit your body or they don't. If they don't, back pain results.

The old style seats fit me perfectly. The new style fit him perfectly.

However, all the above is regarding swapping front seats, which we've been told are compatible for bolt pattern and mounting in Jeep.

We also want to swap our rear seats so that the upholstery colors/patterns of our front and rear seats will match.

Will our rear seats be compatible for a swap? i.e. - will the seat tracks be the same, and fit rear seat?

CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I know the front seats will be a direct swap, but I'm not sure about the rear seats. I know the rear seats in the later models are different than the ones found in earlier models, but I'm not sure if the differences would affect the fit between the two.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
dbx11
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I swapped mine out

I have a 97tj that had the old style round type. I swapped both front seats and kept the brackets/sliders. Simply unbolt the seats 4 screws IIRC. The rear requires the bracketry to be swapped over. The front two brackets will bolt right up to where the old hardware was removed from the older model jeep. The rear brackets for the newer seat will require some drilling so remember to measure and remeasure before you drill. This worked for me hope you find this helpful.
dbx11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx11 View Post
I have a 97tj that had the old style round type. I swapped both front seats and kept the brackets/sliders. Simply unbolt the seats 4 screws IIRC. The rear requires the bracketry to be swapped over. The front two brackets will bolt right up to where the old hardware was removed from the older model jeep. The rear brackets for the newer seat will require some drilling so remember to measure and remeasure before you drill. This worked for me hope you find this helpful.
I'm confused by your reference to front brackets and rear brackets. Does that mean front brackets of front or rear seat? Does it mean all brackets of front seat? Same confusions about "rear brackets".

Please clarify.
Unread 07-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Front Seats: How to swap? Instructions please.

Rear Seats: How to swap? Instructions please.

=====

Note: It's the front seats we need to swap to stop our mutual back pain.

We don't need to swap rear seats, though we will if it's not to much trouble to swap rear seats.
Unread 07-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
dbx11
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The front seats and brakets swapped out easily by unbolting the four bolts that hold them to the floor. You will have to switch the electrical connector as well if you want that awesome fasten your seatbelt chime! As for the rear seat conversion it is a bit of a challenge but can be done because I did it! I removed the old rear seat and the four brackets that held it to the jeep. Next I put the front brackets in place using the existing holes.( Take note on how they were mounted because they may be put in backwards). After the front brackets are in the seat will lock onto them but will not stay in sitting position so put it in the jeep and lock it up to the front brackets and hold into the sitting position so you can mock up the two rear brackets. These brackets will require drilling 4 holes so make sure you check twice before you drill. I used a bit that was a hair small for the bolt to grip onto because I could not access the nuts with the fuel tank in the way. Well that's all I can remember so good luck and if you have any more questions just ask.
Unread 07-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone, especially dbx11. I'll just swap front seats since that's easy. It's all I care about since I plan to add black water proof seat covers.

The other fellow might want to swap rear seats to keep matching upolstery, but if so, I'll let him work out the rear seat stuff.
Unread 07-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
dbx11
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Your welcome

Enjoy your new seats
Unread 07-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx11 View Post
Enjoy your new seats
I will, thanks! This sort of thing is what makes me love this forum. Parts swapping, etc. Advise is nice, parts are smart.

The guy I'm trading with is not a forum member, but I did meet him through a forum member. I think he'll probably become a new member soon.
Unread 07-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
I will, thanks! This sort of thing is what makes me love this forum. Parts swapping, etc. Advise is nice, parts are smart.

The guy I'm trading with is not a forum member, but I did meet him through a forum member. I think he'll probably become a new member soon.
Given your disability and ride height issues, you may want to temporarily bolt in the older seat first before completing the trade. The pre-03 seats are 1" or so higher than the later versions.

In order to stop my back from hurting, I did a seat riser on the later seats to make them the same height as the earlier seats and the problem went away.
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #11
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Given your disability and ride height issues, you may want to temporarily bolt in the older seat first before completing the trade. The pre-03 seats are 1" or so higher than the later versions.

In order to stop my back from hurting, I did a seat riser on the later seats to make them the same height as the earlier seats and the problem went away.
Thanks for the advice. I'll do a temporary tryout of the older seat style to make sure I can still get in Jeep.

My main issue getting in is getting my right foot over the door sill. So the extra seat height might not be an issue for me, but it's defineately a good idea to test it out before committing to it. Thanks for the advice.

Tags
back , bolt in , compatible , front , rear , seat , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.