Sealing the valve cover breathers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Sealing the valve cover breathers?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 09-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sealing the valve cover breathers?

I notice that the valve cover breathers on all my TJs have leaked and have a lot of free motion which makes them leak oil and collect dirt. Im sure dirt also enters through these spots as well. The best thing I can think of is having an aluminum cover and welding a breather pipe on it which would certainly not leak. Have you guys came up with any solutions for the stock cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
redvett94

Just replace the gromets and your good to go.
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
RDaniel2405

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You should just replace the rubber grommets, but you should know on 2003-2006 that those are not the same part numbers (front and rear). The front is free flowing, the rear has a small valve to limit air flow for your EVAP system.

If it was me, and what I did replaced all 4 parts (2 rubber grommets and the 2 PCV elbow pieces) when I did my valve cover gasket. I also got my parts from the local dealer, I didn’t want to use the Dorman ones form advanced auto, the Dorman ones are different form the Mopar ones.

If you put the wrong PCV in the rear, your jeep will have a high idle, and the check engine light will come on. I know because I have tried it.
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:45 AM   #4
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaniel2405 View Post
You should just replace the rubber grommets, but you should know on 2003-2006 that those are not the same part numbers (front and rear). The front is free flowing, the rear has a small valve to limit air flow for your EVAP system.

If it was me, and what I did replaced all 4 parts (2 rubber grommets and the 2 PCV elbow pieces) when I did my valve cover gasket. I also got my parts from the local dealer, I didn’t want to use the Dorman ones form advanced auto, the Dorman ones are different form the Mopar ones.

If you put the wrong PCV in the rear, your jeep will have a high idle, and the check engine light will come on. I know because I have tried it.
TJ's don't have the PVC system, they have the CCV system. There is no valve, it does have an orifice that restricts vacuum draw from the intake manifold.

I've had good results with placing an "O" ring under the CCV plastic port to prevent leakage...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.