seafoam in TB? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > seafoam in TB?

Black Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-17-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
G-MANtj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

seafoam in TB?

ok, so i bought a can of seafoam the other day and used it in my gas tank. it seemed to help a little bit but i was really looking to get rid of the knocking that seems to be coming from the lifters. i read on the xj forum where you put the seafoam directly into the throttle body and it would clean out all of the build-up. i was wondering what the best way to go about this on a tj was. i took the hose going into the TB off today but was reluctant to just pour the liquid in. what exactly do i do?

|---L-o||||||o-
()_)-()_)-o-()_)
G-MANtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2009, 02:22 AM   #2
TXjeepTJ

you should use a vacuum line going into the throttle body or intake, i think i read somewhere with seafoam(as it is a liquid) you pour it into a bowl, then have a rubber line going from the vacuum port to the bottom of the bowl- to where the vacuum sucks the seafoam in at it's own pace
TXjeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's not going to help your problem.Just use carb or fuel injector cleaner.
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

On my TJ, I administer(?) SeaFoam thru thee brake booster hose. Its the big thing opposite the firewall from the steering wheel. Has about a black hose coming off it. Pull the hose off and *Slowly* pour the SeaFoam in the hose while running. MAy or may nor help your particular problem. Be ready to change your spark plugs if you go this route, as this stuff can dissolve a bunch of crap that has to be burned up in the engine.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_j00 View Post
On my TJ, I administered SeaFoam through the brake booster hose.
Fixed it 4 U.
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

One time I forget to hit spell-check
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #7
jbach
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
It's not going to help your problem.Just use carb or fuel injector cleaner.
it does work. i would just use water thru the TB though. it's free.
jbach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just pour it SLOWLY directly into the throttle body. If you pour it slowly and use the throttle to keep the RPMs up, it works just fine. I've had the best results by slowly pouring in about two thirds to three quarters of the can and then dumping in the remainder and letting it choke out the engine. Then I let it sit for 5 minutes or so while I replace the air intake, clean up and close it up. Then I crank it up and then drive it at highway speeds and higher RPMs which seems to clean it out pretty well. I don't recall where I read these directions, and I've been told that Seafoam works no better than tap water with this proceedure, but there you have it. YMMV, use this procedure at your own risk, observe safety protocols, the usual disclaimers etc.

HTH,
Adam
'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Faramir66103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

to clean out the build up in the intake and throttle body all you need is throttle body cleaner.

stick a flashlight in the TB and see if yours is this clean:
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
LandoCommando
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The directions actually say to pour it in until the engine stalls and then let it sit for 15 minutes then start it back up.

Oh the irony.
LandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #11
Mino
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking I'm gonna use seafoam pretty soon. I'm just waiting for my next oil change because I heard you need to change your oil soon after using this stuff. Any truth to that? Now I just read in a post above that you should also change your spark plugs. How true is that? How much seafoam should I use? Thanks.
3" suspension lift, K&N cold air intake, Pro Comp MX6 shocks, JKS Quicker Disconnects & Front Track Bar, Dynomax Cat-Back system, SYE kit, Pro Comp Rock Crawler Wheels, 33" BF Goodrich A/T, Aussie Locker, and Warn XD9000i winch
Mino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #12
Mino
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
to clean out the build up in the intake and throttle body all you need is throttle body cleaner.

stick a flashlight in the TB and see if yours is this clean:
I've always taken my TB off to clean it with the TB cleaner. Is it safe to spray the TB cleaner in and around the TB and manifold? Thanks.
3" suspension lift, K&N cold air intake, Pro Comp MX6 shocks, JKS Quicker Disconnects & Front Track Bar, Dynomax Cat-Back system, SYE kit, Pro Comp Rock Crawler Wheels, 33" BF Goodrich A/T, Aussie Locker, and Warn XD9000i winch
Unread 09-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #13
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mino View Post
I've always taken my TB off to clean it with the TB cleaner. Is it safe to spray the TB cleaner in and around the TB and manifold? Thanks.
I removed the TB to clean the intake manifold and sensors attached to the TB. No problem for you to remove the TB to clean in and around it. Just don't drop dirt & junk adjacent to the manifold inside the intake.

I see you have a K&N - good luck cleaning, you'll be there for a week. After you see the mess the K&N creates you'll remove that worthless POS.
Unread 09-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #14
Mino
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I see you have a K&N - good luck cleaning, you'll be there for a week. After you see the mess the K&N creates you'll remove that worthless POS.
Actually I just cleaned the TB about a month ago after using the K&N setup for about 1 1/2 years and it wasn't bad at all. I was very surprised, especially after hearing all the horror stories on here. I know the bad rap the K&N filter gets on the forum but it's worked for me.

As for the intake manifold, as part of preventive maintenance, should I spray TB cleaner inside the intake? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I'd rather ask it than just wonder. Thanks.
Unread 09-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mino View Post
should I spray TB cleaner inside the intake? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I'd rather ask it than just wonder.
Yes, and yes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads
  • seafoam! - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (0 replies)
  • seafoam? - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (4 replies)
  • Seafoam - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (24 replies)
  • Seafoam ????'s - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (5 replies)
  • seafoam - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (15 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.