Seafoam - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Seafoam

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
joemomma4040

Seafoam

I have a 97 jeep tj 4.0l after doing a search I am a little confused about this product. My rig has 187000 km I bought it with 96000km on it since I have owned it I have never used this product or one like it. One post I read said in an engine with that many km's using seafoam will clog up my catalitic cionverter. Another post said to put 1 can in a full tank of gas half a can in the engine oil and another half can in the throttle body. Yet another post said to put just put two cans in a full tank of gas. Just wondering what other tj owners have done with there 4.0l and if they think it is worth while

joemomma4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I run a can through the brake booster vacuum line every 20k miles or so, not sure if it really cleans anything, but watching the smoke show afterwards is worth it
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Seafoam was designed back in the day by Evinrude for use in de-carbonizing outboard motors. I've used it in that manner many times over the years and it is still the best product around for that function. I would do a bore scope before and after and it was pretty impressive in the amount of junk it removed from the cylinder tops and valves. Black crap literally blows out the exhaust of the outboard when starting after a soak.
While it is marketed like a multi-purpose snake-oil, I have reservations about using it in the oil crankcase of a modern engine unless it has been severely mis-maintained or is extemely sludged up by water contamination. I personally don't have reservations about using the recomended dose for a fuel system cleaner in an automobile, but the "flooding the carb/engine with the full strength product and letting it soak treatment" is a completely overkill for modern engines running on todays gas due to additives at the pump and the super clean running oils that are available now. That extreme treatment was intended removing stubborn carbon in a 2 stroke motor. Your Jeep fuel sysytem will clean up just fine with the small amount added to the gas if you think it's not running as smooth as it could. A tune-up and new plugs afterward should be in order as well.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

Unless you are having issues, I wouldn't bother. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

That stuff gets me a little uneasy, that it could be used for so many applications? I feel next they're gonna be like "Mix some into your cereal in the morning for an added boost in energry and eliminate toxins from your body!"

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

An equal amount of water trickled into the intake will do just about the same as the seafoam stuff. It turnes to steam in the cylinders and does a good job of cleaning them. I had a nice puddle full of black flecks behind both my TJ and my wife's WJ from "steam cleaning" them.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd only use that stuff for decarbonizing an engine, but you can also do that for free with 16 ounces of tap water trickled slowly (!) and carefully into the throttle body with the engine running. Slowly enough that it will take between one and two minutes to empty out the container of water. Mechanics discovered that side benefit when engine designers began using water injection to increase power in military bombers during WWII.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
majkowskid
2005 TJ Wrangler 

well, here's my .02$ on seafoam.
i had a 1999 tahoe before i just bought my jeep. it had 139k miles on it when i traded it in. it had seen better days. at about 101k miles, i got a BAD lifter tapping. i mean BAD. it went on for about 2 weeks. changed the oil, ran some engine cleaner stuff, all that jazz. nothing worked. i was convinced i needed a new lifter. (they were hydraulic.)
well, then someone told me about seafoam. i was told to run it in my crankcase for 30 miles, then get another oil change. holy crap. i poured half a can in the oil, and started her up. within 5 minutes, the lifter tap was completely gone. never came back before i traded it in.
in addition to that, after i had it free the stuck lifter, i sucked half a can through my vacuum line. let it choke the engine out. I had BAD spark knock before this... i let it sit for about 15 min, and started her up. the smoke was amazing. drove it on the highway so the neighbors wouldn't get pissed at me. spark knock completely gone.

those two things, the same day, made a believe out of me. what's funny is i put a can of it in my jeep the other day, sucked half through the vacuum line.... no smoke whatsoever. (jeep has only 10k mies on it) . I guess my engine is clean

i put a half can in my gastank every 1000 miles. i read a post about a guy who had been doing it on his 1982 ford f260 straight 6 300 since he bought it. he has 740k miles on it, without a rebuild. doesn't blow smoke. i'd like to get that kind of milage out of my jeep
majkowskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

So just out of curiosity, what's the whole instructions?

Change the oil, and throw in a half can of Seafoam in the new oil.... drive 30miles, then change it again with just oil? Or add it to the existing oil that is going to be changed?

What about the vacuum hose? Which hose? Just let it suck it up til it stalls, let it sit for 15mins, then drive it til it stops smoking?

Also.... would anyone try this on a motorcycle?

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
Unread 03-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't add Seafoam to the oil, no matter what you've read on the internet.

Unread 03-18-2008, 04:11 PM   #10
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

I probably won't myself... No reason to right now, everything seems to run well, no reason to mess with it.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
Unread 03-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
Michael_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMaverick View Post
What about the vacuum hose? Which hose? Just let it suck it up til it stalls, let it sit for 15mins, then drive it til it stops smoking? ..
Here is what I did on my TJ with Seafoam.

http://dailydriventj.com/seafoam.shtml

Michael K.
Unread 03-18-2008, 05:56 PM   #12
ribs
2007 JK Wrangler 

I get trickling water into the intake but arnt you supposed to dump the seafoam down? I just think hydrolock when I think of dumping liquid down the intake.
ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Don't even bother using Sea Foam for getting carbon out of an engine. Sea Foam costs $$$ and works NO better than plain tap water does. Unless someone here just can't get that something that costs less (or is free in this case) can work better so therefore if it costs more it must be better.

Unread 03-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #14
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Don't even bother using Sea Foam for getting carbon out of an engine. Sea Foam costs $$$ and works NO better than plain tap water does. Unless someone here just can't get that something that costs less (or is free in this case) can work better so therefore if it costs more it must be better.
That is pretty much not true, Jerry. In the boating world, Seafoam will completely clean combustion chambers that the 'steam cleam' method wouldn't touch. Experienced it myself firsthand on my personal outboards. It's been well proven over the course of the last 50 years. As in most other applications, petroleum based cleaners often work much better than water based cleaners, or water alone. And using water has the potential to score cylinder walls if used incorrectly. Seafoam is generally fool proof.
While most all other "mystery oils" are more mystery than fact, Seafoam has quite a well documented proven history of being the best combustion chamber cleaner available aside from the carbon cleaner made by Mercury Marine which is a different formulation and not completely petroleum based, but works as well. And both are heads and shoulders above water/steam and much safer.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
That is pretty much not true, Jerry. In the boating world, Seafoam will completely clean combustion chambers that the 'steam cleam' method wouldn't touch. Experienced it myself firsthand on my personal outboards. It's been well proven over the course of the last 50 years. As in most other applications, petroleum based cleaners often work much better than water based cleaners, or water alone. And using water has the potential to score cylinder walls if used incorrectly. Seafoam is generally fool proof.
While most all other "mystery oils" are more mystery than fact, Seafoam has quite a well documented proven history of being the best combustion chamber cleaner available aside from the carbon cleaner made by Mercury Marine which is a different formulation and not completely petroleum based, but works as well. And both are heads and shoulders above water/steam and much safer.
Then I guess we will have to agree to disagree on how well the water method works at removing carbon from combustion chambers then.

Suggested Threads
  • seafoam! - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (0 replies)
  • seafoam? - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (4 replies)
  • Seafoam - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (24 replies)
  • Seafoam ????'s - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (5 replies)
  • seafoam - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (15 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.