School me on my D44 blow up. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > School me on my D44 blow up.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

School me on my D44 blow up.

Long story short. I though I had a U-joint going bad. I pulled the shaft even though it seemed fine. Tracked down the drivetrain noise to this. (Yes it's an OX locker, don't hold it against me.)

I don't think the shims should be out, let alone move all over.

The gears and locker where set-up over two years ago. Last time I looked the pattern was fine. Now it's out at the edge. After talking to a mechanic friend of mine i'm guessing it's a bearing failure?

Using a ruler the backlash is roughly around 1/16th" I can pry the locker side to side about 1/8th".

Gear set-up is the only thing I have paid to have done, cause I don't know **** about it. What are your guys thoughts?

Unread 06-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Shouldn't be any play side to side. There should be preload, as in you should have to pry the carrier to get it out. I'm not sure how OX specifies setup, but the shims were probably supposed to go between the carrier and bearing.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
ftgiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
Shouldn't be any play side to side. There should be preload, as in you should have to pry the carrier to get it out. I'm not sure how OX specifies setup, but the shims were probably supposed to go between the carrier and bearing.
OX gets shimmed on the outside and uses the same shims and bearings as an ARB.
ftgiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
ftgiles

It is always a little tough to tell exactly because the original cause is often hidden by more destruction caused by metal pieces floating around. My guess would be a bad bearing, too. But did the bearing go bad first and then a chipped tooth? Or a tooth chipped and caused the bearing to go bad?

A poor setup usually shows up pretty quickly in either breakage or noise, so I doubt setup was the original cause.
Unread 06-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgiles View Post
OX gets shimmed on the outside and uses the same shims and bearings as an ARB.
The OX is shimmed the same way the stock carrier is. Where are the shims on a stock D44?

How do the bearings look? There are only a couple of ways the shims could be loose like that, improper set up or bearing failure.
Unread 06-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
ftgiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
The OX is shimmed the same way the stock carrier is. Where are the shims on a stock D44?

Dana shims both ways. Old D44s where shimmed between the bearing and the carrier. Newer D44s are shimmed between the bearing and the housing.
Unread 06-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I hope your locker survived? I'm still learning about gear set up and such, but I wonder if the axle housing itself got bent allowing the preload shims to become loose? I'm glad you caught it before a catastrophic failure though! Hopefully your OX locker is still in good functional condition and all you need is another ring and pinion and a rebuild.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
That was my understanding. It has a ton of side play. Most guys around here don't want to work on an OX locker because they don't see many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgiles View Post
It is always a little tough to tell exactly because the original cause is often hidden by more destruction caused by metal pieces floating around. My guess would be a bad bearing, too. But did the bearing go bad first and then a chipped tooth? Or a tooth chipped and caused the bearing to go bad?

A poor setup usually shows up pretty quickly in either breakage or noise, so I doubt setup was the original cause.
I have not pull caps off to see yet. I will get some pictures when I do. At this point I'm pulling the whole assembly out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post

How do the bearings look? There are only a couple of ways the shims could be loose like that, improper set up or bearing failure.
It's been two years and about 12,000 miles, so bearing failure seems like the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I hope your locker survived? I'm still learning about gear set up and such, but I wonder if the axle housing itself got bent allowing the preload shims to become loose? I'm glad you caught it before a catastrophic failure though! Hopefully your OX locker is still in good functional condition and all you need is another ring and pinion and a rebuild.
I hope so to, just because I'd rather not spend the money. If it is dead, ARB time.

I have been putting off building a 4 link for about a year now. Pulling the housing out now. Going to have it looked at and fixed as needed. Working on all the little crap I have needed to do, cutting the mounts off, and getting it all ready.
Unread 06-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
JWebber
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Are your bearing caps imprints match housing imprint for same side? Thats the only thing I can think of how the shims walked past the bearing caps. I can't tell in the photo tool in the way.
JWebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWebber View Post
Are your bearing caps imprints match housing imprint for same side? Thats the only thing I can think of how the shims walked past the bearing caps. I can't tell in the photo tool in the way.
How would putting the caps on wrong allow the shims to move? The bearing caps are align bored with the housing to properly center the carrier in the housing. Putting the caps in wrong can cause bearing wear but the shims won't be moving around or the carrier be loose until the bearings are worn to the point that you get slop in there.
Unread 06-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Stock D44 housings are interesting... yes they are a D44 but there are shortcuts that Jeep took that result in less than desirable longevity. The bearing surfaces for my 44 are not the biggest and with deflection and hard use, lets just say that one day my air locker quit working. Took it to my gear guy and we caught it in time before it damaged the gear set but he basically told me that eventually, my housing is going to be toast and what he described as toast seems pretty close to your damage. 4:56's and 35's are basically max for this axle.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I can't recall any dana axle I've seen where the shims weren't covered by the bearing caps.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.