Savvy's new prototype aluminum rocker guards, LED tail lights installed - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Savvy's new prototype aluminum rocker guards, LED tail lights installed

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #136
bradthebard
the faux feather finish

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green73brc View Post
these are rocker guards, not steps. If they want a step why not get the factory step and then unbolt them before you go, or get thinner friends....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyJEEP View Post
guys look...blaine's guards are FOR OFF ROAD ABUSE, not cruzin' the mall....if you want some mall crawler steps, bottle openers, or whatever else you can think of hit up quadratec...

looks great man.
As a business move though, if the toughness of the guard can be maintained while opening up to a wider market, it increases the revenues that allow Savvy to expand and develop more stuff. The hardcore market is indeed not interested in a step, by and large. This limits the potential market a good deal though and if there is not sufficient demand in the long term a company won't be able to keep the doors open. Savvy may be fine with that circumscribed market segment, I don't know, but I do know that my wife and kids use my cheesy nerf bars every time they climb in or out and any rocker protection I get will have to have a step on it for them. I'm not interested in little girls with bashed shins.

It's not the primary purpose of the product, but in more cases than you might think, it could be the motivating factor in handing over the jack.

"...Indeed I have burned the candle at both ends, and it gave off such a glorious light..." - Christopher Hitchens
tales from the bard side
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebard View Post
Theology is one hundred blind men searching a dark room for a black cat that isn't there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schitzangiggles View Post
Atheism is one hundred blind men in a dark room claiming there is no black cat because they can't see it.
bradthebard is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #137
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you for not abiding by the norm and continuing to produce products that serve functionally over form or tradition. I agree 100% that they do not need nor should you have to design a step into the sliders. Thank you for not adding a step(and adding your name to it). That said, have you seen many of the Jeepers wives? Of course you have, some could really use a step because they don't want to exert any real athletic effort. Many jeepers use steps as selling points for permission and justification for the purchase of sliders. If you fail to accomodate them, I understand, if you do, you may/may not increase sales.....eh....you know all that ....
here is my thought...

add 2 through holes vertically about 8 inches apart in the bolt on slider.... insert tube... weld. This will keep the slider sealed, will not catch on anything and will not remove any strength. Now a simple step can be "dropped" down into them with 2 posts. They can be easily removed, or bolted in for the mall crawling or while not wheeling.

These though holes could be used for many accessories, Foot pegs, Jack mounts, full length running boards, roof racks etc.
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #138
SpeedJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Rut roh. This has become a "I'm more hardcore than you" thread. Convenience means you only go to the mall.

Now I'll have to read posts from guys who claim to be hardcore as they trailor their Jeep to the trail while driving an all leather, air conditioned, King ranch dually.
Unread 07-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #139
06WranglerX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboyd View Post
Rut roh. This has become a "I'm more hardcore than you" thread. Convenience means you only go to the mall.

Now I'll have to read posts from guys who claim to be hardcore as they trailor their Jeep to the trail while driving an all leather, air conditioned, King ranch dually.
Not really, it is like individuals who run swampers, they choose to run a tire that has terrible performance on road so they may have the benefits offroad, same is true with these rocker guards, you choose to run a set with no step and this design because you want that type of performance and protection offroad. if you so desire a step for the convince of children a wife ect then there any many companies out and about that make a quality product with a step if your needs so fit this.

Every product has a market, and a group of people who purchase it for its intended reasons, sometimes you give up creature comforts for performance. Perhaps this rocker guard doesn't fit the category for everyone. BTW relevance of the tow rig to the jeep how does that fit? I WISH i could tow my jeep and had the funds to do so, that way i wouldn't put 450 extra miles for one wheeling trip, if I busted something I could get home without AAA, a tow rig is totally different I have met plenty of people who have sweet tow rigs but are way more hardcore on the trail then me....

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #140
Strizzy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

These rockers look very similar to the aluminum ones Rokmen used to make. I would've bought those if they available. It really sucks getting your foot stuck between the bar of the rocker/step and falling flat on your face...
What's next on the list of things to make?
Strizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #141
mrblaine
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzy View Post
These rockers look very similar to the aluminum ones Rokmen used to make.
Do you have a pic of those anywhere that you can post up? I don't recall ever seeing them and I truly wouldn't like to step on another manufacturer's toes if it's at all possible to avoid.
Unread 07-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #142
NotURMailman
Straight up fool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do you have a pic of those anywhere that you can post up? I don't recall ever seeing them and I truly wouldn't like to step on another manufacturer's toes if it's at all possible to avoid.
I would think since it said "used to" make, you wouldn't be stepping on any toes...

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #143
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm not sure if these are the aluminum ones or not, they made aluminum and steel ones, both looked the same. I'm pretty sure both are discontinued now. Poison Spyder Customs tried the aluminum rockers a few years back too. It didn't go over well, they discontinued them in short order. I'm guessing people liked steel tubes better?

pic from here:
http://www.rokmen.com/news_letters/2...roduction.html

Big Daddy Off-Road makes a set too (1/4" 6061-T6):
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12012_202_07.htm

I had a set of BDO's but never installed them. Ended up trading them. BDO no longer makes LJ Aluminum rockers, they were pretty nice tho. Their powder coating was awful.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #144
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
I really like what I see here.

My problem is deciding whether I want to sacrifice everyday practicality (since it's a daily driver) for hard-core rock crawling principles, and I'm having a hard time with the sacrifice. I want to, but I don't think I can. It NEEDS the ability to act as a step. At 6'6" I can manage, but most people need a good place to anchor to step up into the Jeep, and dating a girl who's 5'4" brings that into sharp replief. I realize I haven't seen it in person, so maybe it's usable as a step with some grip tape, but it looks more like a rock-climber's toe hold than a real step. Surely there's got to be something we can do about it.

Why couldn't there be a step bolted to the underside of the rocker that we could then just unbolt real quick before hitting the rocks, basically like a removable nerf bar? Shoot, a single piece of steel tube bent into a U shape would suffice. Would two or four bolt holes on the underside significantly really weaken its structural integrity? Or could existing holes be used? Consider that the bar only needs to hold the weight of a person, not the weight of the Jeep, as you'd take them off before wheeling. Worst case scenario, I could see installing some frame-mounted steps if I could find any that are quick and easy to remove.

Blaine, Gerald, whether it's a product you make and sell or a recommendation for someone else's part to add to the mix, finding a solution to the problem of a missing step I think will be a very good thing for your sales, as people like me don't have to agonize over the decision and instead only have to agonize over coming up with the money

Geat looking product!!!

Lots of discussion and comments regarding the use/need/want of side steps in addition to these guards. Well why not just use the factory TJ side steps? The factory steps on the newer TJ models bolt on with 4 bolts per side as you are suggesting, give a much bigger stepping surface than anything presented so far, and don't take anything away from Blaine's goal of function over form with these sliders.
I know that most here will poo-poo that idea simply because of the torment every new member gets when posting a pic having factory steps on their new rig, but the factory steps for someone with a family or using their Jeep as a DD should consider the idea. It would take less than 5 minutes to remove the factory steps at the trail head. (or at home in your driveway to save you from being the laughing stock when you show up at Johnson Valley with stock sidesteps ) Looks like the factory steps would probably clear the sliders no problem.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #145
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think big daddy offroad makes a stamped aluminum rocker with an built in step, jp magazine did an article on them

yours are a totally different design and are much more of a function first product

any chance of a rocker guard without the controversial "step"?
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
The Things We Make, Make Us
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #146
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I'm not sure if these are the aluminum ones or not, they made aluminum and steel ones, both looked the same. I'm pretty sure both are discontinued now. Poison Spyder Customs tried the aluminum rockers a few years back too. It didn't go over well, they discontinued them in short order. I'm guessing people liked steel tubes better?

pic from here:

I had a set of BDO's but never installed them. Ended up trading them. BDO no longer makes LJ Aluminum rockers, they were pretty nice tho. Their powder coating was awful.
Other than both being "Shiny" Aluminum colored I don't see much similarity...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #147
0blcktj6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I really could care less about a step but considering the sliders are modular you could utilize the existing holes for a road use only type step, something that you wouldn't have to remove the entire slider to install, just 2 of the bolts and could easily be removed.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/v...ck-now-908246/
0blcktj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #148
mrblaine
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
Geat looking product!!!
Thanks

Quote:
I know that most here will poo-poo that idea simply because of the torment every new member gets when posting a pic having factory steps on their new rig, but the factory steps for someone with a family or using their Jeep as a DD should consider the idea.
I wish I had been devious enough to point that out. No one wants the perfectly functional factory steps, but everyone wants a step. Quite amusing actually.
Unread 07-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #149
mrblaine
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0blcktj6 View Post
I really could care less about a step but considering the sliders are modular you could utilize the existing holes for a road use only type step, something that you wouldn't have to remove the entire slider to install, just 2 of the bolts and could easily be removed.

I have a buddy who had some rock rails with a little bolt on step that I teased him about mercilessly. He always and I mean always told me they could be unbolted when he went to run a trail.

He never once removed them, so that leads me to believe that my original belief that there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution, is still valid.
Unread 07-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #150
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

pic from here:

The rokmen rockers pictured are steel. The BDO are all aluminum. The difference between both of those two and ours is we have a replaceable wear point with the hybrid aluminum and steel slider. We don't think an all aluminum slider will last as long as a SS slider. We do think our will perform well in the rocks and still be almost half the weight being rust free.

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.