Savvy Under Armor modified for 6spd and 241TC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Savvy Under Armor modified for 6spd and 241TC

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 01-11-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Savvy Under Armor modified for 6spd and 241TC

So I have a 6 spd Rubicon with the 241 TC and decided to modify the 03+ auto Under Armor to fit. So here we go...

Motor mount lift. Only thing to explain that is different than other MMLs is to get the thread extension part to fit all the way, you will need to shorten the thread on the motor mount so that the thread extender seats down to the mount. ( sorry, didn't get a pic of that )

Body lift. Only thing to do here is make sure you put the brackets on while doing the BL. ( second pic )

Next is the cross member...Had to cut out for the TC to fit. I just guestimated on raising the TC and kept trimming the cross member until it fit. Then You have to make sure the drivers side of the TC is higher than the cross member or else the skids will not bolt up. Then I painted the cut parts cause I cut off the rust preventative plating.

Now to the tranny mount. Before I removed the factory skid, I measured from the flange on the TC to both sides of the frame.This way I could ensure I went straight up and not to the side. Gerald said he used a 1 1/2" piece of angle iron but all I could find was 2" and I modified the mount like you see in the pics. I also welded on an exhaust hanger mount and welded the nuts on the back cause they would be a pain to get to.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The next thing was to modify the rear brace. I had to cut a hole for the drain on the TC cause it sticks out and hits the brace. I cut the hole larger to allow for movement of the TC and also welded on a support behind cause it got pretty thin at the top and bottom of the hole. I also cut the ends cause I have to get around my long arm brackets.

Last was to bolt on all the armor. ( I call them the surf board and the wings ) Gerald was right to say to leave everything loose to bolt it all together. I had to support the tranny and loosen a bracket to move it forward. After that... everything lined up pretty well. I put all the bolts in and then tightened the 6 bolts that go into the frame. ( Since they're into the frame... they're not slotted and have no adjustment. ) After than, I centered the surf board to the wings and tightened them all up. I am very pleased with the outcome. I am very pleased with the way the rear suspension has turned out, I like how the middle is setup, and hopefully the front will be just as good. ( that is my project to finish before the TDS in 2 months )

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Dan,

I knew you'd do a nice job on the Under Armor modicifcation.

Of course, I got the new cross member trans mount for the Rubis yesterday. I need to test fit one and then we can finally start making them.

Thanks,

Gerald

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 02:08 AM   #4
55willystruck

Great pics-Thank you! That will help a bunch.

Gerald-

I received today what I was waiting on. Setting up account tomorrow and hope to be calling either you or Blaine in the next couple days. Probably both actually... Clock is now ticking so I need to get rolling in order to get things up and running as quickly as possible. Have a LOT of work to do to say the least-on both sides of things. Hope you're able to get one of those mounts built for the '05 LJ Rubi 6 speed in the next couple days...

Talk to you soon,

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Doesnt seem like it sits very flat?
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
msully
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
Dan,

Of course, I got the new cross member trans mount for the Rubis yesterday. I need to test fit one and then we can finally start making them.

Thanks,

Gerald
Hey Gerald,

Let me know if you need a Rubicon to test fit the mount. I would let you borrow mine if I could be one of the first to get the Rubicon UA.

Mike
msully is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
glockster
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
Dan,

Thanks,

Gerald
Gman, I'll call you tomorrow. Motor mount lift is already in and the bodylift is already on. Lets rock and roll.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msully View Post
Hey Gerald,

Let me know if you need a Rubicon to test fit the mount. I would let you borrow mine if I could be one of the first to get the Rubicon UA.

Mike
If you can come by next weekend we can test fit it. I can't do it this weekend.

Thanks,

Gerald

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
Unread 01-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
msully
2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK next weekend should work. Also if it fits do you have the rest of the UA ready to go? I would love to be able to drive away with new UA if possible.
msully is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
danielbuck
Uncle Buck

2006 TJ Wrangler 

when you get the 6 speed Rubi under armor & BL/ML figured out, I'm still wanting it on my jeep!
Unread 03-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
Body lift. Only thing to do here is make sure you put the brackets on while doing the BL.
Hmmm...from that pic, it looks like this setup is NOT compatible with raising your body mounts rather than using body lift pucks. I'm really glad I saw that before doing any cutting or welding.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Hmmm...from that pic, it looks like this setup is NOT compatible with raising your body mounts rather than using body lift pucks. I'm really glad I saw that before doing any cutting or welding.
Eric,

If you paln in raising your body mounts, you are more than capable of welding the C bracket on. You would just need to slice it up a little.

Gerald

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
Unread 03-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #13
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Good to know. Haven't seen all the individual pieces yet, so I just assumed
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #14
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Is the under armor compatible with a regular 1" BL or does it need to be 1-1/4"?

-1987 BMW 528e 5spd e28 - personal Panzer for the daily driven battlefield, just broken in at 300k

-1990 BMW 325i Convertible 5spd e30 - extensive overhaul in progress

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Night Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.