Savvy Under Armor for LJ's w/no lift....vibes? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Savvy Under Armor for LJ's w/no lift....vibes?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 09-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Savvy Under Armor for LJ's w/no lift....vibes?

OK, anyway, so got the body of my Jeep taken care of with a full compliment of Metal Cloak body parts and the 33x10.5" tires installed(Thanks Matsen!). Now Im working on the tummy tuck.

Big and simple question is, can I do the Savvy Underarmor skid on an LJ with no suspension lift and not worry about vibes for the time being? Or at least minimal vibes? It probably wont be driven much if at all even, but will be a back up vehicle. So Im wondering if I can at least install it and not have a piss poor ride. Eventually I will be doing all adjustable control arms and a SYE kit and tom woods driveshaft........

GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

youll need the SYE, CV shaft, and at minimum adj upper ca's
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Being an LJ, you can 'probably' get away with it but if you're spending $1k on it, just do the rest while you're there. SYE, double cardan shaft, arms all around.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think your driveshaft would even be log enough to run it like that.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Being an LJ, you can 'probably' get away with it but if you're spending $1k on it, just do the rest while you're there. SYE, double cardan shaft, arms all around.
Yeah thats what I am doing eventually.

You know, I acutally asked the question WRONG.

I should have asked, if I would get vibes just installing the 1"MML and 1.25" BL to start, to prep the Jeep for the Savvy skid..........

Also, Savvy's skid is designed to be removable without the need to support the TC, was wondering if they would sell me the crossbrace mount too till i have the funds for the rest of the skid. Want to do all this work now before it gets cold, lol. Just the funds arent quite there yet, lol
Unread 09-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

No, you won't have vibes from the MML. Call Gerald about the xmember--no idea.
Unread 09-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

it may work, who knows. i doubt it. i needed a SYE with my skid thats 2.25" below the frame, with the stock mount, a 1" MML and 2.5" of lift. I'd guess that combo would have better driveline angles than your proposition...and it still needed a CV shaft.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

2.5 + (~4.5-2.25) = ~4.75" raise @ the t-case output.

The Savvy UA should raise the output by somewhere in the 3" neighborhood over stock. Thus, I think you'll be fine, especially with a MML in the mix.
Unread 09-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
LJWrangler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
2.5 + (~4.5-2.25) = ~4.75" raise @ the t-case output.

The Savvy UA should raise the output by somewhere in the 3" neighborhood over stock. Thus, I think you'll be fine, especially with a MML in the mix.

Imped-- is correct but if you put anything other than a BL on it in the future you will need to go SYE,CV- anything approaching over 4" combined on the LJ vibes are in your future. found that out first hand with the first LJ I had
LJWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #10
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJWrangler View Post
Imped-- is correct but if you put anything other than a BL on it in the future you will need to go SYE,CV- anything approaching over 4" combined on the LJ vibes are in your future. found that out first hand with the first LJ I had
OK, so the Savvy UA combined with the 1" MML and Savvy 1.25" body lift raise the driveline how much exactly? Im gonna be doing the SYE and TW driveshaft eventually with the adjustable control arms, but would just like to get by without it for a few months IF possible, lol
Unread 09-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
55willystruck

For a twist, I ran OME springs with ACOS spacers for a while with Medic TT on my LJ Rubi, with factory driveshafts and factory control arms-vibe free.

Suspension is different now, TT has been replaced with UA. I'm actually sitting taller now than prior due to added height gained by ditching all steel armor and swapping to aluminum. I've been running Currie arms for years now but never changed length on them. Still on stock driveshafts but due for another rebuild on both now.

I will not say you'll be fine, but with an educated guess will say you "should be ok".

I do not see them selling the crossmembers as a separte piece, even in "good faith" that you'd buy the rest later. Too many things wrong with doing that from a business standpoint in my mind, but thats just me. I'd save till you can afford it and do it right. I'm thinking your drivetrain will be elevated roughly 3" over stock, based off changes on my rig. This is with NO lift. Add suspension of any kind and you'll then be facing steeper angles and whether or not you'll vibe will be in greater risk. Be absolutely sure you dimple and clearance accordingly or you will vibe excessively and become very skilled at install and removal of said skid if you don't clearance right the first time.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.