Savvy Under Armor - Page 162 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Savvy Under Armor

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Reply
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #2416
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 15,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006LWBTJ View Post
So I removed the shroud and the fan spins freely by hand. Hopefully that's a good sign. As far as my options now... I could trim/relocate the shroud,
It shouldn't spin "freely".

Relocate the mounting bolt holes in the shroud, don't trim the shroud...

Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:14 AM   #2417
stwilson74
Senior Member
 
stwilson74's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bay Shore, NY
Posts: 896
I doubt you'll have much room between the firewall and the bellhousing if you add the extra mml, just open up the holes on the shroud.
__________________
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #2418
jhurt
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: il
Posts: 177
Update for 32RH? Three years in...I installed (a year and a half ago) Savvy MML, body lift and the Novak shifter in anticipation of the skid and cross member...which still isn't listed on Savvy's site as available for a 2000 TJ 4.0/3-speed auto. I thought I saw somewhere in this 162 page thread someone made their own custom cross member for the 3-speed. Is that the only option? I really don't see it ever being released at this point. Do you modify one of the Savvy cross members? Fab your own? Use one from a different manufacturer?
__________________
'00 TJ 3 spd, D30 aussie locker/8.8 E-Locker, Currie springs, Savvy/Currie arms
jhurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #2419
UTWeezul
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhurt
Update for 32RH? Three years in...I installed (a year and a half ago) Savvy MML, body lift and the Novak shifter in anticipation of the skid and cross member...which still isn't listed on Savvy's site as available for a 2000 TJ 4.0/3-speed auto. I thought I saw somewhere in this 162 page thread someone made their own custom cross member for the 3-speed. Is that the only option? I really don't see it ever being released at this point. Do you modify one of the Savvy cross members? Fab your own? Use one from a different manufacturer?
I'd just fab a custom crossmember. A couple bushings, some tabs, and some tubing and a few hours of work and it'll be done.
__________________
35" MTR Kevlars
TNT Phantom Fenders
PSC full corners w/ 3" flares
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #2420
StupendousMan
Member
 
StupendousMan's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Menifee, CA
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhurt View Post
Update for 32RH? Three years in...I installed (a year and a half ago) Savvy MML, body lift and the Novak shifter in anticipation of the skid and cross member...which still isn't listed on Savvy's site as available for a 2000 TJ 4.0/3-speed auto. I thought I saw somewhere in this 162 page thread someone made their own custom cross member for the 3-speed. Is that the only option? I really don't see it ever being released at this point. Do you modify one of the Savvy cross members? Fab your own? Use one from a different manufacturer?

It can be done but lots of work (32rh)



StupendousMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #2421
matthew900
Senior Member
 
matthew900's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 936
I just did my first oil change since installing the modular armor and I have to say that while I'm happy with the skid off road I'm disappointed that the new version of the armor does not include an oil change door of some kind. Having to remove the engine skid just for an oil change turned a 30 min job into a 2 hour project.
matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #2422
stwilson74
Senior Member
 
stwilson74's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bay Shore, NY
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew900 View Post
I just did my first oil change since installing the modular armor and I have to say that while I'm happy with the skid off road I'm disappointed that the new version of the armor does not include an oil change door of some kind. Having to remove the engine skid just for an oil change turned a 30 min job into a 2 hour project.
2 hours? It's only 7 more bolts and even with the door there were 4 bolts so realistically only 3 more bolts... I mean ya, it does add a little time but not an hour and a half more and my skid has a good bit of scarring right were that little trap door would be so I'm happy not to have it, I'm fairly sure it would have been compromised by the hit the skid took. You just dropped the front part of the skid, not the whole thing right?
__________________
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #2423
matthew900
Senior Member
 
matthew900's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by stwilson74 View Post
2 hours? It's only 7 more bolts and even with the door there were 4 bolts so realistically only 3 more bolts... I mean ya, it does add a little time but not an hour and a half more and my skid has a good bit of scarring right were that little trap door would be so I'm happy not to have it, I'm fairly sure it would have been compromised by the hit the skid took. You just dropped the front part of the skid, not the whole thing right?
I tried dropping the front but ended up having to drop the whole thing to get at it properly and not create a mess. All the bolts where coated with a mud/sand/oil mixture that made everything a hassle to get threaded back together. I'm sure my turn around time will go up with practice but it's still inconvenient and will always take longer than it should. You would think that given the fact that the original version had an allowance for efficient oil changes, and that competitive products do as well, it would have been built into this one. I'm recommending he add the oil change door back in.

Iím also concerned that itís going to be a problem having a shop or oil change place do an oil change if I ever donít have time to do it myself.
matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #2424
stwilson74
Senior Member
 
stwilson74's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bay Shore, NY
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew900 View Post
I tried dropping the front but ended up having to drop the whole thing to get at it properly and not create a mess. All the bolts where coated with a mud/sand/oil mixture that made everything a hassle to get threaded back together. I'm sure my turn around time will go up with practice but it's still inconvenient and will always take longer than it should. You would think that given the fact that the original version had an allowance for efficient oil changes, and that competitive products do as well, it would have been built into this one. I'm recommending he add the oil change door back in.

Iím also concerned that itís going to be a problem having a shop or oil change place do an oil change if I ever donít have time to do it myself.
Ya, but most of the competitors that I have seen with a provision for oil draining is simply a hole in the skid. You can take a hole saw and add a hole at will but I like mine smooth. I remember reading that at least one of the guys with the original UA popped that little panel hard enough to break the welds or bolts, that may have contributed to it's demise and is exactly why I'm fine without it. A cordless impact driver pulls the 4 countersunk screws out super quick and the front 3 bolts are easy, then putting it back on I get the front middle bolt started and slip the other two in place, roll under the middle and get the 4 countersunks in nice and quick and then back to the front to get those three finished up. I don't think it adds more than 15 minutes or so.

This is probably obvious but if you do decide to take a hole saw to the skid, take it off the Jeep first... lol
__________________
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #2425
OkLaHoMaTJ
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 572
Whats the average wait time on getting these?

Some have said a few weeks...others say a few months....he's sold out now according to his website.

On the rubicon models are you guys relocating your locker pumps? Or can they mount to the UA?

I'm ordering my Novak cable shifter soon so that's one piece out of the way. I already have the JKS 1'' MML and Savvy 1.25'' BL.
__________________
My Thread - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/another-lj-rubicon-thread-1516486/
OkLaHoMaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #2426
Ljcrawler05
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkLaHoMaTJ View Post
Whats the average wait time on getting these?

Some have said a few weeks...others say a few months....he's sold out now according to his website.

On the rubicon models are you guys relocating your locker pumps? Or can they mount to the UA?

I'm ordering my Novak cable shifter soon so that's one piece out of the way. I already have the JKS 1'' MML and Savvy 1.25'' BL.
When I ordered mine it took a few months but I was in no real hurry... just kinda got frustrated with getting a response of maybe next week. Eventually it came and I must say It was worth the wait. Gerald is a great guy and I know he's busy so it didn't bother me a bit but if they are out of stock the skid could be a while.

As far as a relocating the locker pumps I plan on doing that in the near future when my skid goes on (been sitting in the garage for 6 months) over my college's winter break and putting them under the hood. The rear pump is the only one you have to run a new line for based on a few writeups I've read.
Ljcrawler05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #2427
ctorres018
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ontario, California
Posts: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkLaHoMaTJ View Post
Whats the average wait time on getting these?

Some have said a few weeks...others say a few months....he's sold out now according to his website.

On the rubicon models are you guys relocating your locker pumps? Or can they mount to the UA?

I'm ordering my Novak cable shifter soon so that's one piece out of the way. I already have the JKS 1'' MML and Savvy 1.25'' BL.
Better order the savvy MML cuz savvy UA won't work with any other MML.
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/light-sleeper-2-0-a-1800073/
ctorres018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #2428
Ljcrawler05
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorres018 View Post

Better order the savvy MML cuz savvy UA won't work with any other MML.
True that^^^ I had to sell my jks I picked up when I realized it wouldn't work
Ljcrawler05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #2429
clg82
Web Wheeler
 
clg82's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 4,679
I believe that Gerald and the savvy crew is preparing for the King of the hammers competition so try and shoot him an email to see the availability of the skid. He's been really fast at getting back to me so give it a try.
__________________
Drink some bleach.
clg82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #2430
OkLaHoMaTJ
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorres018 View Post
Better order the savvy MML cuz savvy UA won't work with any other MML.
I plan on just running the center skid for now. Not the engine skid which requires the Savvy MML. Correct?
__________________
My Thread - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/another-lj-rubicon-thread-1516486/
OkLaHoMaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aluminum , belly up , crossmember , high clearance , savvy , savvy under armor , t-case , t-case skid plate , transfer case , transfer case skid , under armor
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.