Savvy Under Armor - Page 161 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Savvy Under Armor

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 05-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #2401
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think that was used in the original version and was revised later on.

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #2402
zclanton
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
I think that was used in the original version and was revised later on.
Nice, didn't realize the instructions were even out of date for the late "original model"
zclanton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #2403
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, the "newer" original skids definitely had some changes from what is in those instructions.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #2404
zclanton
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar

x2. For those of us in the original production run there were no instructions. In fact, our agreement was to help write them.
For those of us now there are still not instructions,nothing's changed there, not a big deal, but a hardware list would be nice, especially for someone like me that is building my jeep where I had space to do so, so retrieving missing hardware is an hour round trip back to town, frustrating
zclanton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #2405
2006LWBTJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So I installed the C-channels and crossmember yesterday (which I will be removing in order to modify). The website states "Some trimming of the cross member may be required for some TJ models" on the Modular Under Armor page. I found out after the install that means us non-Rubicon guys with the NP231 transfer case (directions would have been helpful there).

But the question I have for anyone running this mod is has it caused your Jeep to overheat? I took it for a quick test run after installing all the structural pieces (no armor) and everything seemed fine. However, I took it across town today, got stuck in some traffic, and got the "check gauges" light and tone. That's when I noticed the temp gauge way over in the red. I pulled over and found an empty parking lot where I drove around in large circles with the heat on. That actually cooled the engine down rapidly. I didn't lose any coolant and I was able to drive the remaining distance of my trip with no additional issues. It's late at night here now so I haven't done any investigating of my coolant system, but has anyone ever heard of any tummy tuck causing this issue due to the reduced airflow around the transmission and therefore transferring heat to the engine block? I suppose it could be a total coincidence and I'll start troubleshooting the coolant system first, but this was actually a concern I had while performing the TT install and now here it is. Anyone have any input? Sorry if this topic has been addressed elsewhere. I attempted to search for this issue but couldn't find a related thread. Thanks.
2006LWBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #2406
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nope, your cooling issue is coming from elsewhere. Never had an issue with any of the plates I've had on my rig and never any other issues on any other rigs.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #2407
grover728

We had no cooling problem on our rubicon with the larger transfer case blocking air flow
grover728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #2408
willis36

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006LWBTJ View Post
So I installed the C-channels and crossmember yesterday (which I will be removing in order to modify). The website states "Some trimming of the cross member may be required for some TJ models" on the Modular Under Armor page. I found out after the install that means us non-Rubicon guys with the NP231 transfer case (directions would have been helpful there).

But the question I have for anyone running this mod is has it caused your Jeep to overheat? I took it for a quick test run after installing all the structural pieces (no armor) and everything seemed fine. However, I took it across town today, got stuck in some traffic, and got the "check gauges" light and tone. That's when I noticed the temp gauge way over in the red. I pulled over and found an empty parking lot where I drove around in large circles with the heat on. That actually cooled the engine down rapidly. I didn't lose any coolant and I was able to drive the remaining distance of my trip with no additional issues. It's late at night here now so I haven't done any investigating of my coolant system, but has anyone ever heard of any tummy tuck causing this issue due to the reduced airflow around the transmission and therefore transferring heat to the engine block? I suppose it could be a total coincidence and I'll start troubleshooting the coolant system first, but this was actually a concern I had while performing the TT install and now here it is. Anyone have any input? Sorry if this topic has been addressed elsewhere. I attempted to search for this issue but couldn't find a related thread. Thanks.
Your cooling fan isnt hitting the shroud keeping it from turning freely is it? Sometimes after moving the driveline around adjustments have to be made to the shroud to keep everything happy.
willis36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #2409
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis36 View Post

Your cooling fan isnt hitting the shroud keeping it from turning freely is it? Sometimes after moving the driveline around adjustments have to be made to the shroud to keep everything happy.
That was my thought too, I bet your shroud and fan are pressed up against each other hard.
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #2410
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis36 View Post
x3; after installing the crossmember I had to move the fan shroud down a bit further to keep the fan from contacting.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #2411
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

x4 but I didn't learn this until I was in the middle of the desert.....I thought after most of my research before installing my savvy under armor that i wouldn't need to adjust the fan shroud if I went with a body lift and mml...boy was I wrong....as far as the crossmember needing to be trimmed I had the same problem with mine......when I spoke with gerald about it he said they were going to modify the crossmember so that wouldn't happen.....I guess that hasn't happened yet.....
clg82 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #2412
grover728

x5...I forgot I had to massage the shroud as well.
grover728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #2413
2006LWBTJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You are all correct. I just got home from work, popped the hood, and the fan is firmly pressed up against the lower portion of the fan shroud. I took for granted that the MML would compensate for this. I checked the oil, it doesn't look like chocolate milk, so that's good... I'm actually pretty impressed that the engine remained cool for the remainder of the drive considering the traffic hadn't gotten much better by the time I got back on the road and I was basically driving with no cooling fan. Now my concern is potential damage that may have been caused to the fan assembly. I'll read up on some of the overheating/cooling system threads.
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #2414
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would think that worst case as far as the fan is that you may need to replace the clutch.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #2415
2006LWBTJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So I removed the shroud and the fan spins freely by hand. Hopefully that's a good sign. As far as my options now... I could trim/relocate the shroud, but I actually have a set of Brown Dog MMLs that I ordered prior to the Savvy UA (I didn't realize the MML spacers were integral to the UA system when I started planning for the TT). So my next question is, does anyone see a problem with adding an additional 1" of lift at the motor mounts? I mean the fan is contacting the lower portion of the shroud - lifting the engine an additional inch should solve that problem. Does anyone believe that a total of 2" of MML is a bad idea. I hadn't really considered how much the engine would pivot forward after raising the transfer case 4", but the answer is evidently 2". I know installing a set of after market motor mounts on top of 1"MML spacers is a lot of work to avoid modifying the fan shroud so I may not go with this option. Just wondering if anyone already knew any reason why adding an additional inch of lift at the motor mounts would be a bad idea. Thanks!

Tags
aluminum , belly up , crossmember , high clearance , savvy , savvy under armor , t-case , t-case skid plate , transfer case , transfer case skid , under armor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.