Savvy Under Armor - Page 102 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Savvy Under Armor

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 09-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #1516
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockster View Post
You can sleep comfortably at night knowing you are better protected by SAVVY than you are by JEEP.
LOL! Im sure I can. Still just asking.

GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #1517
KillerSloth
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The reason the first frame wasn't welded fully is welding T-6 drops its strength a lot and I didn't want a big softer spot right in the middle under the oil pan.
I know a lot of your products aren't welded, but for the ones that are (are the bumpers? seems like they would be), do you have them heat treated afterward? Wouldn't that bring the strength back to what the metal is originally?
Unread 10-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #1518
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Swapped main plate today for the new one that Gerald sent. Thanks again for great customer service. Will get the one with broken welds in the mail back to you this week.

Couple things I noticed when pulling the old one off. First, looks like I had contact with the exhaust when it was nice and hot:

There was actually a silver line of aluminum melted onto the exhaust. Knew it was close, but didn't realize this was happening. Tried to get the new one positioned with a little more clearance.

Second, it appears I had another broken weld also on one of the internal braces in the side bends. This particular one has a bolt through it also that was holding it on but as soon as the bolt came off it fell right out:

Unread 10-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #1519
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Geeze man, you really put that thing to the test, didn't ya?

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #1520
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Swapped main plate today for the new one that Gerald sent. Thanks again for great customer service. Will get the one with broken welds in the mail back to you this week.

Couple things I noticed when pulling the old one off. First, looks like I had contact with the exhaust when it was nice and hot:

There was actually a silver line of aluminum melted onto the exhaust. Knew it was close, but didn't realize this was happening. Tried to get the new one positioned with a little more clearance.

Second, it appears I had another broken weld also on one of the internal braces in the side bends. This particular one has a bolt through it also that was holding it on but as soon as the bolt came off it fell right out:

I have tried to get the fab shop to take that reinforcement piece for those two joints, turn them into steel and then through bolt them instead of the welds. Perhaps when they see this skid, they will listen.
Unread 10-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #1521
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have tried to get the fab shop to take that reinforcement piece for those two joints, turn them into steel and then through bolt them instead of the welds. Perhaps when they see this skid, they will listen.
I just checked mine and the reinforcement plates have welds on the end verticals.
popeyesides is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #1522
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyesides View Post
I just checked mine and the reinforcement plates have welds on the end verticals.
That's only a mildly better solution due to the welding really dropping the strength of the T-6 Temper to something much less strong.
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #1523
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post

I just installed the 97-02 belly skid and we had the same issues and it wasn't that the skid was too high, it's that the exhaust would not stay put even when we loosened and tightened the bolts at the exhaust manifolds.

Right above the skid where the exhaust crosses it is a bolt boss in the side of the engine block that is threaded for a 3/8-16 coarse thread. I took an exhaust hanger that uses the u-bolt around the tube like this one.

Put the exhaust where it's supposed to be and bolted the hanger to the side of the block. It will never sag again.
Unread 10-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #1524
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's only a mildly better solution due to the welding really dropping the strength of the T-6 Temper to something much less strong.
Blaine, should I remove the stiffner plate and replace with steel and thru bolt as you mentioned above, I have the technology.
Unread 10-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #1525
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyesides View Post
Blaine, should I remove the stiffner plate and replace with steel and thru bolt as you mentioned above, I have the technology.
If it were mine and I was planning on using it some place like JV, that's what I would do.
Unread 10-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #1526
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If it were mine and I was planning on using it some place like JV, that's what I would do.
Consider it done, tomorrow morning early as we are wheelin in the afternoon and we have no mud or grass, just rocks. Thank you.
Unread 10-02-2011, 06:27 AM   #1527
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm planning on ordering mine soon; anyone have the dimensions on that piece of of steel needed so I can grab it ahead of time.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #1528
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geiman View Post
I'm planning on ordering mine soon; anyone have the dimensions on that piece of of steel needed so I can grab it ahead of time.
How about just let me know when the order goes in and I'll fix it for you?
Unread 10-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #1529
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Even better, thanks Blaine.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #1530
boilerup1998

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Has anyone installed the Under Armor with a 1" BL vs. the 1.25" that comes with the kit?
boilerup1998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum , belly up , crossmember , high clearance , savvy , savvy under armor , t-case , t-case skid plate , transfer case , transfer case skid , under armor

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.