Savvy Off Road Only LED Trail Lights - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Savvy Off Road Only LED Trail Lights

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-27-2009, 05:45 AM   #91
kaybone
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Great looking product!

I have been looking for a set of stock looking LEDs that I liked and these seem to fit the bill, almost..

The trim color needs to be black, however you do it. Plain billet is almost as bad as chrome, and has an unfinished look to it. I agree about the black anodizing, it always seems to change to an odd tinge. How about just offering a powder coated version?

The price is a litttle high, maybe drop it $20 or $30.

I love the plug and play design. I don't like the idea of cutting the holes or messing with extra flasher wiring.

And what is the exact difference between the Street and Off-road versions again? Brightness or/and marker and plate lights?

I would probably buy a set of these but I have been designated the offical government beta tester by the Obama Administration So you can send me a set to Beta test and try while I'm busy driving around closing Gitmo at night.

Gun Metal Blue Jeep Club Member #99
kaybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 05:58 AM   #92
ozo101
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
We need to have a chat with the Minister of Stickers. My wife wants to know where hers is as well and when she's grumpy, I'm not happy.
here blaine I just made this for your wife, God knows we want you as happy as possible . I manually traced it out of a picture of the skid, is cut on black vinyl, let me know if you want a full batch
imgp5344.jpg  

Last edited by ozo101; 06-27-2009 at 03:25 PM..
ozo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 06:39 AM   #93
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo101 View Post
here blaine I just made this for your wife, God know we want you as happy as possible . I manually traced it out of a picture of the skid, is cut on black vinyl, let me know if you want a full batch
Those look great! PM me deatils.

Gerald

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #94
Tim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

those are sweet guys!

at this point i am only part wat through the thread and wanted to comment on paint...

i have used an acid etching primer for painting aluminum before a few times including my winch (several years ago) usually on top of that i will spray hammerite or some other better quality rattle can paint. it works really well!

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...-Detour/Savvy/

nice work!.. now, back to the thread
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 07:51 AM   #95
Kiwi
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post
OK, I now have 5 Savvy Off Road Only Trail Lights sets in my hands minus the plugs. Who wants them?

Are they brushed or polished?
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #96
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Are they brushed or polished?
For you either! The driver is machine and the passenger is brush finish.

Here is a machine finish:

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
Unread 06-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #97
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybone View Post
Great looking product!

I have been looking for a set of stock looking LEDs that I liked and these seem to fit the bill, almost..

The trim color needs to be black, however you do it. Plain billet is almost as bad as chrome, and has an unfinished look to it. I agree about the black anodizing, it always seems to change to an odd tinge. How about just offering a powder coated version?

I love the plug and play design. I don't like the idea of cutting the holes or messing with extra flasher wiring.

And what is the exact difference between the Street and Off-road versions again? Brightness or/and marker and plate lights?

I would probably buy a set of these but I have been designated the offical government beta tester by the Obama Administration So you can send me a set to Beta test and try while I'm busy driving around closing Gitmo at night.
Thanks for your service!

The difference between the street and off road only is just the side marker, reflector and license plate light. The housing will be slightly different to accomdate the above.

I kind of like the off road version even on my mall crawler as it is elegantly simple.

Gerald

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
Unread 06-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #98
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo101 View Post
here blaine I just made this for your wife, God know we want you as happy as possible . I manually traced it out of a picture of the skid, is cut on black vinyl, let me know if you want a full batch
That looks good, very good. You should have asked Gerald for the art file so you didn't have to work so hard.

Unread 06-27-2009, 09:03 AM   #99
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
those are sweet guys!

at this point i am only part wat through the thread and wanted to comment on paint...

i have used an acid etching primer for painting aluminum before a few times including my winch (several years ago) usually on top of that i will spray hammerite or some other better quality rattle can paint. it works really well!

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...-Detour/Savvy/

nice work!.. now, back to the thread
I use the same stuff Tim for a lot of the stuff I paint. Works well.
Unread 06-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #100
Kiwi
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post
For you either! The driver is machine and the passenger is brush finish.

Here is a machine finish:
Matching would be good
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #101
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Great looking product!

These guys have to make money off these lights. I think this is a great price considering what is offered (Plug and play, beautiful aluminum, DOT approved lights, customer service after you buy unlike ebay, and no cutting), what other led kits cost, and the fact that I cant go out in my shop and make something like this.

When you can start making these for 20 dollars cheaper let us know. Asking them to knock that off the price and asking for powdercoating is kinda like a flea crawling up a an elephants rear leg with rape on his mind... IT AINT HAPPENING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #102
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
kinda like a flea crawling up a an elephants rear leg with rape on his mind...
i like that one

Blaine/Gerald, your machinist is sure doing a nice job. that is a great looking product.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #103
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
These guys have to make money off these lights. I think this is a great price considering what is offered (Plug and play, beautiful aluminum, DOT approved lights, customer service after you buy unlike ebay, and no cutting), what other led kits cost, and the fact that I cant go out in my shop and make something like this.

When you can start making these for 20 dollars cheaper let us know. Asking them to knock that off the price and asking for powdercoating is kinda like a flea crawling up a an elephants rear leg with rape on his mind... IT AINT HAPPENING.
Thanks for understanding what it takes to keep a business going. If you read our philosophy on pricing in any of the GTS threads, we operate on a pretty low margin in order to try and help folks stretch their mod dollars as far as possible.

Personally, I'm not happy with the pricing and wish it were cheaper and even at the price it is, there's not a lot of profit. In fact what we've done with this one is accept the low profit for now and hope that if the product takes off, we can buy in large enough volumes to eventually increase that to a more acceptable level.

I'm also pretty good at finding creative ways to manufacture stuff to get prices lower and have been doing that.

An example- The material is 6061 and is a bit more expensive than other alloys. The problem with other alloys is they are much harder to machine as they get a bit "gummy" and don't machine as quickly or as nicely. So, the material costs more, but the machine time is less.

I've also looked at castings, but to get the quality I want, they have to be investment cast and it's just about the same price for the raw castings and they still have to be finish machined.

We'll keep hammering on it though.
Unread 06-27-2009, 10:05 AM   #104
ChrisThoms
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Great looking product!

X2. A Black powdercoated version would be nice. That is the only thing that would hold me back from getting these at this point.

Other than that, they look very sharp. Strong work!
ChrisThoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #105
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Thanks for understanding what it takes to keep a business going. If you read our philosophy on pricing in any of the GTS threads, we operate on a pretty low margin in order to try and help folks stretch their mod dollars as far as possible.

Personally, I'm not happy with the pricing and wish it were cheaper and even at the price it is, there's not a lot of profit. In fact what we've done with this one is accept the low profit for now and hope that if the product takes off, we can buy in large enough volumes to eventually increase that to a more acceptable level.

I'm also pretty good at finding creative ways to manufacture stuff to get prices lower and have been doing that.

An example- The material is 6061 and is a bit more expensive than other alloys. The problem with other alloys is they are much harder to machine as they get a bit "gummy" and don't machine as quickly or as nicely. So, the material costs more, but the machine time is less.

I've also looked at castings, but to get the quality I want, they have to be investment cast and it's just about the same price for the raw castings and they still have to be finish machined.

We'll keep hammering on it though.

i loved machining 6061, there again 7075 wasnt bad either.

Any plans to use 7075 in anything? maybe control arms?
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.