Savvy Off Road Only LED Trail Lights - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Savvy Off Road Only LED Trail Lights

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 06-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #136
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
I can keep the 'corners' to 0.001" radius if using a 15* 'V' bit with 0.002" flat tip but I've been using 0.020" or 0.030" tip until I get a high speed spindle.

V-Carve will bring the tip of the cutting tool up the corner to 'square' it giving the appearance of a chiseled corner.

A prototype trail marker in bronze using a 0.030" tip 30* 'v' bit. The '1997' is 0.750" tall.

In other words, it's basically like draft on a mold and just brought up to a corner where it intersects the top face?

Unread 06-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #137
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
In other words, it's basically like draft on a mold and just brought up to a corner where it intersects the top face?
Yes, essentially.

I initially machined 4 of these from acetal with a 7.5* draft and gave them to my pattern maker to set up the rest of the board for casting. They are cast with a blank boss when the date is and my intent was to machine only the dates as they are all different. Due to a change in the font after I had already cast them I decided it was easier to just machine the entire face. Not a big deal for this trail as I'm only making 20 of them to supplement 200 that had already been made (poorly at an exorbitant price) by another company.

The next trail is all mine!!!!!

Vectric, the maker of v-carve offers a free trial version if you feel so inclined to tinker with it.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #138
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, essentially.

I initially machined 4 of these from acetal with a 7.5* draft and gave them to my pattern maker to set up the rest of the board for casting.
The use of the asterisk for the degree symbol bugs me. Do this- hold down the alt key and key in 0176 and it will put this wherever your cursor is.

I forgot to tell you in the other reply that those markers look very nice.

Quote:
They are cast with a blank boss when the date is and my intent was to machine only the dates as they are all different. Due to a change in the font after I had already cast them I decided it was easier to just machine the entire face. Not a big deal for this trail as I'm only making 20 of them to supplement 200 that had already been made (poorly at an exorbitant price) by another company.

The next trail is all mine!!!!!

Vectric, the maker of v-carve offers a free trial version if you feel so inclined to tinker with it.
No, my tinkering with CAD programs is limited to the learner's edition of Turbo Cad because it's fairly intuitive. Anything other than that and I get lost and frustrated quickly. I'm not a CAD guy. I can visualize stuff and communicate it very well to folks that are good with CAD.

That's how I did the tail light housing. I had a mental image and relayed that to the machinist with a few hand sketches in a single meeting with him. He whipped out a prototype and I met once more to iron out a few small issues. One was raising the height of the inner mount surface .050 to raise the light slightly above flush for a better look.
Unread 06-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #139
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The use of the asterisk for the degree symbol bugs me. Do this- hold down the alt key and key in 0176 and it will put this wherever your cursor is.

I forgot to tell you in the other reply that those markers look very nice.

No, my tinkering with CAD programs is limited to the learner's edition of Turbo Cad because it's fairly intuitive. Anything other than that and I get lost and frustrated quickly. I'm not a CAD guy. I can visualize stuff and communicate it very well to folks that are good with CAD.

That's how I did the tail light housing. I had a mental image and relayed that to the machinist with a few hand sketches in a single meeting with him. He whipped out a prototype and I met once more to iron out a few small issues. One was raising the height of the inner mount surface .050 to raise the light slightly above flush for a better look.
I couldn't add the in that manner so I have to dig it out of character map.

Thanks for the compliments on the markers. I must say, my version is much more crisp and legible than the originals. The next trail "The Million Year Trail" will have the font recessed and then filled with a contrasting epoxy. This makes the markers more visible as they are set into the trail surface (which is paved for handicap accessibility), wear better as there is far more bronze at the surface and there will be no voids to fill with debris... a problem with Trail of Time design.

The V-carve program is very intuitive and the SAVVY logo was a breeze. I took a digital photo, imported it as a bitmap and let the software create vectors around the colors in the photo. After some minor tweaking I produced the tool paths in V-carve. See, I'm really not that clever...
Unread 06-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #140
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

maybe you should take the trail rated logo that comes on all of our heeps and make belt buckles with the same design.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #141
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
maybe you should take the trail rated logo that comes on all of our heeps and make belt buckles with the same design.
I'm pretty sure that I shouldn't.
Unread 06-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #142
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that I shouldn't.

I can't even imagine the looks from the wimmenz you'd get with that part of your anatomy wearing a trail rated badge. It might be a great conversation starter, but I'm fairly certain you won't like the direction the conversation goes.
Unread 06-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #143
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post
You're right! I was only repeating what I'm told. Come to find a self etching primer is good chemical treatment and when we tried Alodine we still had to paint. It was a lot easier to recommend a good primer.

Sorry for the confusion! I'm guilty of everything! We are producing and testing as faster as we can and somethings just don't work out. I try and let everyone know ASAP.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Gerald
LMFAO... Gerald, well done, you looking for a side job in politics (or as pres of a certain baseball team)? Beat yourself with a wet noodle and we'll call it good. No, you may NOT have your wife do it, you'd enjoy it too much.

Now, get on those stickers!

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #144
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

ozo101 is also making stickers for us! He'll get us rocking quickly in vinyl. The others i'm having done are press type and you can make 1000s inexpensively. The front end is more and the setup takes longer.

Thanks ozo101 (Eddy) for stepping up! I got you covered!

Thanks,

Gerald

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #145
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So you're doing the same as a sinker wire EDM with a laser? And what's that worth in burn time?
yes and no, we engrave all our parts with the laser, but then yes we do burn parts like a sinker EDM, because we cant/dont bother to make the graphite that defined, its easier to just laser in in.

Its not the fastest process if your wanting depth, but if your just throwing a part number or a quick logo, .0005-.002 deep, its pretty quick.

Most of time on our mold surfaces we EDM them, that isnt a fast process either, depending on how big the graphite is. The biggest ive seen is about 9 inches in diameter and about 1.5 inches deep.

Ill have to see if our laser has the capacity to burn your logo on the bumper i get from you, wink, wink.
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 04:33 AM   #146
TJMunky
2005 TJ Wrangler 

still waiting for night shots
NIGHTCREW (RIP 01/28/09 - 07/22/09) #135
SILVER JEEP CLUB #120
TJMunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 07:00 AM   #147
Gr8_Outdoorsman

2006 LJ Wrangler 

A black version would sure be nice (hint, hint)!
Gr8_Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 07:20 AM   #148
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I suggest delivering them in the raw and let the customers make them any color they want by any process they choose. It's the only way everyone will have the color/finish they want.

Short of that, just sell 5gl pails of bauxite and let them figure it out from there...
Unread 06-29-2009, 07:50 AM   #149
MCDavis
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I suggest delivering them in the raw...
You really want Blaine or Gerald riding up to your house on a yellow scooter in the raw??
MCDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 08:04 AM   #150
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
You really want Blaine or Gerald riding up to your house on a yellow scooter in the raw??

So, THAT'S what bile tastes like... I might need my 1911 to get that image out of my brain.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.