Savvy Mid-Arm Prototype to Production... - JeepForum.com
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 07-30-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
KX6D

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Savvy Mid-Arm Prototype to Production...

Years ago I asked Blaine for some advice on repairing the front suspension on my LJ. During that conversation he mentioned a mid-arm kit he designed and pieced together for a customer in Riverside. He also happened to mention that it was used on the original Savvy/Currie LJ that won the first KOH EMC race (and races to follow). Blaine didn't recommend this mod for me, but instead suggested I contact the owner in Riverside and go for a ride to see if it was for me. That ride never happened, but based on its success and talking with the guy in Riverside, I knew it was for me!

I mentioned it to Gerald at Savvy a year later and he said bring it in. Somewhere in there Gerald and Blaine decided this one-off custom mid-arm kit of wonder, should become a production run...but didn't tell me until later. They had my Jeep for a while, trying this and that until they had something they were both happy with. A few months later I had my Jeep back with the very first Savvy Mid-Arm, installed by Blaine and Matt.

The Savvy Mid-Arm uses the stock shock locations and it worked well. I had a set of custom Radflo shocks in there and it worked great. But I wanted a little more.

It went back to Blaine to outboard the shocks, front and rear, with Fox 2.0 remotes; Currie Anti-Rock front and rear; Blaine's big brakes for 15" wheels, 5.13 gears, and a set of 35's on 15's. Does this thing flex!

Blaine and crew did a great job making everything fit! Using Blaine's words, "Its not easy when different parts want to occupy the same space at the same time." The exhaust was even tucked neatly out of the way! A little sheet metal trimming was required for the rear anti-rock to flex.

So hats off to Savvy, Gerald, and Blaine! Kudos to Johnny and Matt and anyone else who had their hands on her! Here are a few pictures. I'll answer any questions to the best of my ability. Here is the build list...

Suspension:
Savvy Mid-Arm Kit w/Currie 4" LJ Springs.
Outboard front and rear shocks.
Currie Anti-Rock front and rear.
Currie Steering.
Blaine's Black Magic 15" Brakes (awesome!)

Misc:
Savvy MUA, engine lift, body lift, gas skid, sliders, front bumper.
Method Double Standard 15" wheels w/3.5" offset.
BFG 35x12.5x15C All Terrain KO2
Magnaflow muffler
5.13:1 gears

Drivetrain:
Stock Rubicon 4.0L, 42RLE, 4:1 transfer case, Dana 44 axles and lockers.

Attached Thumbnails
Copy of 20170730_090603.jpg   Copy of 20170730_090618.jpg   Copy of 20170730_090643.jpg   Copy of 20170730_090719.jpg   Copy of IMG_6927.JPG  

Copy of IMG_6928.JPG   Copy of IMG_6929.JPG   Copy of IMG_6930.JPG   Copy of IMG_6931.JPG   Copy of IMG_6932.JPG  

Jerry Bransford and Happy Joe like this.

Dino Darling - KX6D
Member of the Impact Orange Jeep Group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 07-30-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
KX6D

2005 LJ Wrangler 

More...
Attached Thumbnails
Copy of IMG_6933.JPG   Copy of IMG_6934.JPG   Copy of IMG_6935.JPG   Copy of IMG_6936.JPG  

Dino Darling - KX6D
post #3 of 46 Old 07-30-2017, 12:15 PM
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Looks good! My kit was one of the very first from the initial production run last Fall. I have been very happy with it!
KX6D likes this.

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 46 Old 07-30-2017, 12:24 PM
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Is there any difference in the kit based on if it will be installed on a TJ vs an LJ?
post #5 of 46 Old 07-30-2017, 12:28 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
Is there any difference in the kit based on if it will be installed on a TJ vs an LJ?
Yes

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #6 of 46 Old 07-30-2017, 12:37 PM
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Yes
Besides the different springs that were mentioned? Can you share more info?
post #7 of 46 Old 07-30-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
KX6D

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I will try to help if I can. Do you have a specific question? Blaine is the brain behind this so I'll defer any technical questions to him for obvious reasons.

Dino Darling - KX6D
post #8 of 46 Old 07-30-2017, 01:02 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I can. But, given the current modus operandi of how folks get information dispensed around here, I'm supposed to send a private message so there is no peer review and no possibility of contrary opinion.
olysteve likes this.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #9 of 46 Old 07-30-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
KX6D

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I can. But, given the current modus operandi of how folks get information dispensed around here, I'm supposed to send a private message so there is no peer review and no possibility of contrary opinion.
Screw those guys! :-)
Jerry Bransford and jjvw like this.
post #10 of 46 Old 07-30-2017, 03:19 PM
Trevlaw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
What length 2.0s did they put on front and rear?

I think my kit was number 3, but mine is a tiny bit different since I'm an 8.8 goober.

I am really happy with my arms so far, just got my 13" foxes on the front and some 4" springs to go with it. The rear still sucks, but the front feels great, just almost kept up with the race car on the twisty roads up here in oregon
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170714_185206_1501449086817.jpg   IMG_20170716_180945_1501449149278.jpg   Snapchat-1413863992_1501449477865.jpg  
post #11 of 46 Old 07-30-2017, 03:32 PM
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Lol! Well said. There's a reason that I usually pick your brain about suspension and steering design rather than others. I recall talking to you on the phone several years ago about mid arm suspension design and link placement before Savvy was installing them on customers rigs.

So, now that I'm back to building another TJ after having given up on the JK platform, if I were to mid arm a TJ would the wheelbase come into play very much? Particularily a TJ wheelbase stretch just to the very rear of the tub but not a comp cut. Maybe a back half kit, or something similar to the way you did CVD's rig, keeping the fuel tank under the tub.

Also I will eventually be upgrading to larger axles and bigger tires, so how well would this kit translate to a full size axle swap?
post #12 of 46 Old 07-30-2017, 03:37 PM
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Have you mucked your way through the (un)official thread yet? There is lots of discussion about axles and wheelbase.

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 46 Old 07-30-2017, 03:40 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Particularily a TJ wheelbase stretch just to the very rear of the tub but not a comp cut. Maybe a back half kit, or something similar to the way you did CVD's rig, keeping the fuel tank under the tub.
I know people have to do things for reasons, but IMO with any stretch that keeps the tank under the tub the benefit gained for work done seems highly questionable.
post #14 of 46 Old 07-30-2017, 04:34 PM
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
I know people have to do things for reasons, but IMO with any stretch that keeps the tank under the tub the benefit gained for work done seems highly questionable.
The white wonton rig in these pics had a Genright tank that was still under the tub, and the other white TJ, and Silver LJ were the last 2 TJ's I had before I started playing around with JK's.

Reason 1 for keeping the tank below the tub is for cargo space, 2: Lack of smell in cab, :3 ease of re-fueling, 4, and most important, it's the only option that passes Va. safety inspection.
Attached Thumbnails
example 3.jpg   example 4.jpg   example 5.jpg  
Attached Images

post #15 of 46 Old 07-30-2017, 04:38 PM
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
Have you mucked your way through the (un)official thread yet? There is lots of discussion about axles and wheelbase.
Yes, I asked a few questions in that thread, but they got lost in the shuffle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.