Savvy LJ Test Mule - Page 84 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Savvy LJ Test Mule

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #1246
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
No, what's ridiculous was trying to explain how to use ole man Bernoulli to fix your slow steering due to the extra demand placed on the pump by the assist cylinder.
reminds me of physics 101. :barf:

Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #1247
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
reminds me of physics 101. :barf:
I was never able to take Physics except for a practical burn up some time in high school because you don't know the math kind.
Unread 07-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #1248
rrobbins
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Physics 101? Me and me Bernoulli spent multiple quarters with each other in good ole fluid dynamics
rrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #1249
krughzn
Welcome to The Rock

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No, what's ridiculous was trying to explain how to use ole man Bernoulli to fix your slow steering due to the extra demand placed on the pump by the assist cylinder.
That's what my Physics professor told me at SDSU.

That's why my degree is in Basket Weaving. I can weave a mean basket though.
krughzn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #1250
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice..... Mine is 2nd up and I can't wait!
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #1251
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobbins View Post
Physics 101? Me and me Bernoulli spent multiple quarters with each other in good ole fluid dynamics
What we did to the steering pump was right at the limit of my understanding of the principle.

The extra volume demand on the system resulted in slow heavy steering in parking lot type situations.

Without removing the pump, we swapped the pressure valve for one that was higher and then drilled out the orifice to a larger diameter to drop the pressure back down but increase the volume.
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #1252
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krughzn View Post
Brought the bad boy home yesterday. I can't believe it's actually my Jeep. Awesome job done by Blaine and Joe. I'll take many more pics and explain what Blaine and Co. did on Sunday. Plan now is for Joe and I to wheel it this weekend at Coral Canyon.
Were it not for Blaine - I would have been lost-in-space trying to get your rig set up anything remotely close to what it came out to be. Blaine gets my utmost respect and credit for execution, and leading the build plan, while my part was simply trying to follow directions as best I could. Needless to say, it was a challenging build for me and fun all wrapped up in one package.

Really looking forward to taking her out on a shakedown run at Corral Canyon this weekend. The rig is built to tackle the tough stuff and then some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Does she drive as nice as she looks?

Awesome work.
Due to Mike needing to drive his "company truck" home yesterday, I got to drive it ~90 miles to bring it back to the San Diego area/his home. To put it mildly, it drives fantastic!
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 02:15 AM   #1253
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What we did to the steering pump was right at the limit of my understanding of the principle.

The extra volume demand on the system resulted in slow heavy steering in parking lot type situations.

Without removing the pump, we swapped the pressure valve for one that was higher and then drilled out the orifice to a larger diameter to drop the pressure back down but increase the volume.
Interesting Blaine.... But I thought the PSC kit was made up of matched components? Not saying everything turns out perfect all of the time but I am curious as to why it happened?
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #1254
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
Interesting Blaine.... But I thought the PSC kit was made up of matched components? Not saying everything turns out perfect all of the time but I am curious as to why it happened?
It is and they are compatible components and it is only because the reservoir and feed line to the pump is so large that we could do this with no danger of causing cavitation in the pump.

We increased the demand by going to a larger cylinder than was previously used. 1.5" bore x 6" stroke to 1.75" bore by 8" stroke which takes considerably more volume and at the worst time, when the engine RPM is the lowest like navigating a parking lot. Once the engine was off idle just a bit, the heavy steering went away, I just wanted it invisible at all speeds.

There was never a power issue, only a speed issue and it was able to be mitigated very simply without going to a smaller pulley, different pump, or altering any other part of the system.

It was as simple as removing the pressure hose and fitting from the pump, popping the pressure valve out, new one in and then drilling out the orifice to a very specific size that was just a small amount larger. It was probably .160 and it went to .168. Took about 2 seconds with a hand drill, 30 if you count the time it took me to get the bit out of the drill index.
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #1255
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanx Blaine.... I was curious since we were talking about possibly reusing my Lee stuff with the ram. I was going to say I would be more than willing to simply swap it all out for PSC if it was going to be hugely involved in dialing in the ram but heck, 30 seconds is not bad LOL.
Unread 07-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #1256
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanx Blaine.... I was curious since we were talking about possibly reusing my Lee stuff with the ram. I was going to say I would be more than willing to simply swap it all out for PSC if it was going to be hugely involved in dialing in the ram but heck, 30 seconds is not bad LOL.
It may not be as simple with a TC pump. The CBR pump we are using has the same internals as the venerable P pump which is not shared with the TC pump that you have. I suspect it is a bridge that will need to be crossed IF we find a problem, preferably not before.
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #1257
Kiwi
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Robert, I have the same problem with heavier steering at parking lot speeds when essentially at idle. It's most notable when changing direction quickly. I'm running the KRC TC pump that Blaine had help put together 4 or 5 yrs ago, and the PSC ram kit that Blaine sells. I believe I have the same Lee steering box you do. I'm thinking of upgrading to the CB pump and PSC steering box.
It will be interesting to see if you run into the same situation.
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #1258
krughzn
Welcome to The Rock

2005 LJ Wrangler 

A few pics from todays shake down run. I have to say that it handled amazing on the trail. I was taking lines that I've never tried before and the Jeep just gets up, over, through anything I pointed it at. Works perfectly!!!!!!!!! I can't thank Blaine and Joe enough for all of the hard work and attention to detail that went into the build. I can't wait for Johnson Valley.

krughzn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #1259
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks great, congrats and enjoy!
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #1260
crateampscal
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Don't take this the wrong way, but does it really climb that much better? was it the ability to climb better your number one reason behind this overhaul? what other benefits does this setup have over the short arm setup you had originally? I know the shocks alone would have been a nice improvement but i have never seen much improvement in longer links. I'll admit that i havent seen a build as thought out with good reasoning behind it, but i have seen alot of guys lengthen their links in order to achieve results that dont seem to make a big difference. apples to oranges i know, but im curious.
crateampscal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
savvy , savvy lj , savvy test mule , savvy unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.