Savvy Front Bumper Install - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Savvy Front Bumper Install

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 12-26-2009, 05:08 PM   #76
Shakey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here's what I started with (stock bumper with Warn winch plate (winch plate and tow hooks now for sale)):

This is why some of the bolt holes wouldn't line up:

Those pictures show why I don't like long bumpers. My stock bumper prevented me from completing an obstacle on the trail this summer, and I've been shopping for a new one since then.

Here it is installed:

I was wrong that bolts were included for the winch, instead those bolts were to replace the stock sway bar bolts. I have an anti-rock, so was able to mount the winch on the back location. This has my fairlead behind the bumper, definitely an upgrade over stock where I led with the fairlead.

Another:

Last edited by Shakey; 12-26-2009 at 05:22 PM..
Shakey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #77
Shakey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Some people have asked how bare aluminum holds up in winter environments. The pictures show that I drive this in the winter I think, and I have for 4 years now. Here is my aluminum gas tank skid, that I think still looks like new after 3 winters (I could scrub it with a scotch brite pad and I bet it would shine up like new with little work):

Last edited by Shakey; 12-26-2009 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: trying to resize photos
Shakey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #78
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Hardware came today. Looking to paint tomorrow even if the weather isn't perfect. I'm getting too anxious. The question is: should I mount the fairlead mount even though I don't have a winch? Any opinions?
Unread 12-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #79
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTWeezul View Post
Maybe I'm just confused...but did you get a bumper without any mounting holes in it? Seems like quite an error if this is what truly happened...
Goobersbro got a newly release YJ bumper.

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Unlimited Black Hole - The Ultimate LJ

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #80
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Shakey,

Looks great!

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
Unread 12-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #81
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
Some people have asked how bare aluminum holds up in winter environments. The pictures show that I drive this in the winter I think, and I have for 4 years now. Here is my aluminum gas tank skid, that I think still looks like new after 3 winters (I could scrub it with a scotch brite pad and I bet it would shine up like new with little work):

Don't even think about taking a scotchbrite pad to it if you don't want to start a continued regiment of polishing every so many months to keep corrosion at bay, you will remove the clad plating and then you will start to see black spotting and power start to develop.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #82
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

No winch; fairlead mount on or off?
Unread 12-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #83
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGriffith View Post
No winch; fairlead mount on or off?
I'd say leave it off till you get a winch, but it's probably a personal choice...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #84
Goobersbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTWeezul View Post
Maybe I'm just confused...but did you get a bumper without any mounting holes in it? Seems like quite an error if this is what truly happened...
no just didn't have the recovery points nooo biggie at all sorry to confuse
Unread 12-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #85
JeepSpeed18
1996 XJ Cherokee 

When you guys gonna make one for the XJ so I can buy it?
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\_|;
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

96 Jeep Cherokee 4" lift with 32" KM2's
94 Jeep Cherokee 3" lift with 29's!

JEEP Just Empty Every Pocket my life moto. :)

White Jeep Club Member #109

Jessie The Jeep (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
But yeah my 4.0 has been hydrolocked twice, ran upside down for 7 seconds it still keeps coming back for more. its like that crazy ex-girlfriend that just wont quit..but unlike her, its a good thing haha
JeepSpeed18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 07:36 AM   #86
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Yesterday on a Hammer trail I was trying to go up a waterfall and was getting denied. And, everytime I backed down the front would drop 3-4 feet and land on a pointy rock on the front bumper. Got a few scratches but the design prevented it from denting. We are really happy with the form and function of the bumper.

Then we attahced a snatch block to my winch and a Land Rover Discovery and another TJ strapped to my rear bumper on a slight up hill. I dragged all three vehicles with brakes locked and the winch deck and recovery point showed very little deflection. The recovery point did not move at all while the winch deck moved maybe a 1/16" and then back to its orginal form once we took the pressure off.

We are at the Hammers now so my internet connection is too slow to download the pix.

Happy Holidays,

Gerald

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
Unread 12-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #87
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
Do you have any idea how long Rustoleum paint takes to dry in a cold or damp climate? Even slower when cold and damp. It'll take forever to never to dry if you paint it in NY in the winter in an unheated shop. Even in a shop heated to 70 to 75 degrees F, it'll take a long time for Rustoleum to cure and be hard. Like make a week or more. It's ridiculous how long Rustoleum takes to dry in a Northern climate in winter. It makes it a dam near useless product, except in summer.

In a hot climate, Rustoleum is great, but if you're in NY, it's going to suck badword.

I recommend using Krylon paint because it's much faster drying. I painted my rear bumper last year in an unheated shop in WA State in the dead of winter. The temp outside was in the teens to twenties. Inside, it was 50 degrees F.

I used a space heater and a hair dryer blowing right on the metal to heat 1/3 of the bumper at a time and then painted that third. (Keeping the paint can inside the heated office between coats). Then used hair drier to hardend the paint as much as possible. This meant each coat took 1 hour. In fact, I had the hair dryer in my left hand and the paint can in my right (about 18 inches apart) and moved both hand in unison. Painting and heating in circles. What a PITA, but it worked so well that my rear bumper is still painted and I don't see any rust.

Had I not done that, the cold metal would not have adhered to the paint and the paint would have been brittle like an eggshell that cracked when bumped and then paint falls off. That happened when I painted other parts in winter without heating the parts and paint can. Oh I wish I had a heated shop, but in the absense of a heated shop, heat the part and paint can before painting and continue heating part after painting each coat until you're to exhausted to wave a hair dryer anymore.

That's with fast drying 12 minute dry Krylon. It's called 12 minute, and would be on a hot summer day. In Fall, Spring, or especially Winter, in an unheated shop it's a battle to get it to adhere and dry hard, but can be done with the super efforts I described, but takes an hour per coat to dry to the touch, and a week to fully harden before it's ready for installation.

With Rustoleum, it would be impossible in an unheated shop. I know from experience.

In a heated shop, it's easy with Krylon, but still very difficult with Rustoleum.

In a cold climate in winter, Rustoleum is a swear word.

All of which leads me to believe that you've not much rattle can experience, or at least not in winter. Krylon is your best chance to succeed, but even then it's not easy in winter (unless you're shop is heated).
Painting and drying will take place somewhere warm, but thanks for the advice on the Krylon.
Unread 12-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #88
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
I posted this in the other thread, but the Hanson Bumper that I removed was right @ 77lbs (with Winch mount/Foglights/D-rings), and the Savvy is a smidge under 20lbs and I expect not much more than 25 with Foglights/D-Ring, etc.

So I essentially "lost" 50-55lbs up front once all is said and done from the swap.

I've seen a few guys in this thread and others, mention the smaller bumper not being real "Deer" friendly, and I don't disagree...luckily I don't see much deer where I wheel in NorCal, nor do I daily drive (maybe 50% DD), nor do I do much night wheeling, so plowing deer was never really a consideration.

ALSO, I don't live in the Rust Belt, I see snow/ice exactly 1 weekend a year, no salt, so rust and corrosion is not really an issue. I left my Savvy Gas Tank Skid Bare and like someone else mentioned, if this starts to look bad, I'll pop it off, hit it with some primer and paint and call it a day. Gerald suggested a Matte Clear Coat, but I didn't find it today, so I'm going to leave as is it see how it goes.

This bumper isn't for everyone visually or functionally depending on where you live and where you wheel... For what I do, and where I go, and where I want to go, it "fits" me perfectly!

Sw2
For the OP,is losing the 50lbs + hanging out on the front enough to change the height and onroad handling? If so,this would be great for us that have had to add spacers on the front to offset our bumper,winch weights.
Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #89
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
For the OP,is losing the 50lbs + hanging out on the front enough to change the height and onroad handling? If so,this would be great for us that have had to add spacers on the front to offset our bumper,winch weights.
It might have changed a slight bit, but probably not a ton. I didn't really measure before and after heights, and I was pretty level front to back before hand, but even with the winch and bumper completely off, I didn't notice much change, but I suppose depending on the age and condition of your springs, your mileage may vary.

I haven't pulled it out of the garage yet, haven't had time to finish the other stuff I was working, but I don't expect it to handle differently.

Sw2
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #90
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Well my bumper has two coats of self-etching primer and one heavy coat of rustoleum gloss black on it. I use gloss because I find that it doesn't come out shiney but closer to the semi-gloss or satin finish that I like. Also decided to throw another coat of clear on the tabs.

It's nice not having to worry about missing a spot on the underside and having it rust a few weeks later or on the edges and what-not. I'm also in the process of deciding on how I want to move my fogs. I think that I'm going to extend the wires so that I have room to mount the lights in the fairlead mount holes as I won't be using them right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.