Savvy Front Bumper Install - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Savvy Front Bumper Install

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Reply
Unread 12-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #16
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep
 
jeepinmichguy_'s Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Sticks, Alabama
Posts: 7,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Powder coat is very easy to touch up, if you have the right paint...
so is paint.

__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 06:51 PM   #17
Goobersbro
Registered User
2007  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yuba City, California
Posts: 4,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
I'm getting an aluminum bumper because I think it is a well designed product and I love the weight savings, not because I want a silver bumper. I'm no expert but I am happy with a carefully done rattle can job (self-etching primer and then Rustoleum Satin probably) and don't need powder coat. I'll do the painting myself and will be able to touch it up easily when it gets bashed.
yea I understand that its just everyone and there mom has a painted bumper on there jeep I have never seen an aluminum bumper. I've seen chrome but thats different A couple years from now if my savvy is all scratched and dinged I will probably get it powder coated but not for a long time because I like that its different
__________________
My marshmallow build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...-build-873442/
Goobersbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #18
mrblaine
Web Wheeler
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 24,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy View Post
ive had rockers chip and a rear swing out. (on the edge not in the middle)
Chipping on the edges of steel products is very common. That's because the companies that make the steel products don't want to pay for sandblasting the edges or hot dipping them to remove the laser scale. Laser scale chips off the edge very easily and takes the powder coat, paint, or plating with it so it is imperative that it be removed before any post production finishing processes are done.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #19
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep
 
jeepinmichguy_'s Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Sticks, Alabama
Posts: 7,372
so your saying its a little bit of lazyness and cheapness then, i gotcha, makes sense.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #20
ZeroGravity
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Chipping on the edges of steel products is very common. That's because the companies that make the steel products don't want to pay for sandblasting the edges or hot dipping them to remove the laser scale. Laser scale chips off the edge very easily and takes the powder coat, paint, or plating with it so it is imperative that it be removed before any post production finishing processes are done.
That's some pretty wise information. Can you take the "laser scale" down with some light sanding?
__________________
91 YJ
98 XJ
2 door love
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #21
mrblaine
Web Wheeler
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 24,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwood View Post
That's some pretty wise information. Can you take the "laser scale" down with some light sanding?
Wire brush on an angle grinder blows it right off. You can sand it as well.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #22
mrblaine
Web Wheeler
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 24,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy View Post
so your saying its a little bit of lazyness and cheapness then, i gotcha, makes sense.
Not lazy, cheap. It adds cost to the process because there's a lot of lineal feet of edge on most products.

A typical steel full corner will have over 12 feet of edge that has to be descaled. 24 feet per pair and when you add that up, it's expensive.

So, they powdercoat right over it and the customer pays the penalty.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #23
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep
 
jeepinmichguy_'s Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Sticks, Alabama
Posts: 7,372
gotcha, thanks for the info
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #24
glockster
Web Wheeler
 
glockster's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: chino, Ca.
Posts: 2,107
I had the opportunity to go by the Savvy World Wide headquarters today and take a look at this bumper in person. It is very nice and light. The special one that Gerald has for his jeep is even awesome'r. As soon as I can find another TJ to build, I'll be calling Gerald.
__________________
Marco

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #25
LGriffith
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockster View Post
I had the opportunity to go by the Savvy World Wide headquarters today and take a look at this bumper in person. It is very nice and light. The special one that Gerald has for his jeep is even awesome'r. As soon as I can find another TJ to build, I'll be calling Gerald.
I know what your talking about
__________________
04 LJ|2.5" OME|RE arms|1" BL|ROKMEN|Savvy|33" MTZ's
LGriffith LJ Build

Last edited by LGriffith; 12-23-2009 at 07:43 PM..
LGriffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #26
Speed911
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Conyers, GA
Posts: 903
I'm starting to dig on the Savvy bumper, I'd go for it, unfortunately I definitely need the width and protection of a larger bumper. Been there, learned that one pretty quickly, But, the more I see it, the more I want some of their armor. I'll keep studying up though. Great install pics, and clever thinking on mounting the winch Meanwhile, got that Hanson up for sale??
__________________
-Dane
Speed911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #27
Goobersbro
Registered User
2007  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yuba City, California
Posts: 4,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed911 View Post
I'm starting to dig on the Savvy bumper, I'd go for it, unfortunately I definitely need the width and protection of a larger bumper. Been there, learned that one pretty quickly, But, the more I see it, the more I want some of their armor. I'll keep studying up though. Great install pics, and clever thinking on mounting the winch Meanwhile, got that Hanson up for sale??
yea I am building some tube fenders but if I had regular fenders I would want a full width bumper. It sucks having a full width bumper though because it hurts your aproach angle like sometimes you can get a tire in where you need it you know.
__________________
My marshmallow build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...-build-873442/
Goobersbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #28
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tustin, CA - Orange County
Posts: 6,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Is it shipped with the fairlead and recovery points already mounted? I am thinking of painting mine when it gets here (next Tuesday) so will have to take it apart, paint and then retorque. I suppose to put the light mounts on when Gerald gets them to us will involve taking it apart anyway.
Light mounts use the front two bumper mounting bolts. Only need to zip them off and place the mounts and retorque the bolts.

Gerald
__________________
Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #29
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tustin, CA - Orange County
Posts: 6,502
With Wade's help we have the Installtion instructions ready. Please PM me your email address and I'll shoot them to you.

Thank you to everyone! Your support makes us want to build more kick arse products!

Happy Holidays,

Gerald
__________________
Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #30
Goobersbro
Registered User
2007  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yuba City, California
Posts: 4,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post
With Wade's help we have the Installtion instructions ready. Please PM me your email address and I'll shoot them to you.

Thank you to everyone! Your support makes us want to build more kick arse products!

Happy Holidays,

Gerald
I'm just curious as to what the two u shape brackets are for? there drilled the same as the frame rails. Are those to be used as spacers or what is there use?
__________________
My marshmallow build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...-build-873442/
Goobersbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.