Savvy Front Bumper Install - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Savvy Front Bumper Install

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #151
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I like the black shirt! If there must be other colors, how about a white wife beater?

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #152
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rubi View Post
X2 My GF is sure proud of me
My mom gave me a whole speech after seeing that.. Oh well. I'll just have to choose the times I wear it wisely.

Otherwise. I need some tips on how to paint this aluminum, and Gerald needs to email me some install instructions.
Unread 02-14-2010, 11:10 PM   #153
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
My mom gave me a whole speech after seeing that.. Oh well. I'll just have to choose the times I wear it wisely.

Otherwise. I need some tips on how to paint this aluminum, and Gerald needs to email me some install instructions.
No they don't. Use self etching primer, and then the paint of your choice. It is as simple as that.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #154
rsbmg
2013 JK Wrangler 

The instructions that are needed are where to buy self etching primer. Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Napa, Autozone, Sherwin Williams, All say never heard of it, hmmmm, uhhhh, ummm, I had no idea it was as rare as a 17/32 drill bit. Anybody in San Diego County no where I can find this magical primer?
Unread 02-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #155
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
The instructions that are needed are where to buy self etching primer. Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Napa, Autozone, Sherwin Williams, All say never heard of it, hmmmm, uhhhh, ummm, I had no idea it was as rare as a 17/32 drill bit. Anybody in San Diego County no where I can find this magical primer?
It is very simple. Ask for the assocciate to bring you to the rattle can isle. Grab a can of bare metal primer. Show them that it says self etching primer on the back. Be done. That will get you the right stuff and teach them something new. My dad didn't know what the stuff was till I showed him.

Here is what you should look for:
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 02-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #156
rsbmg
2013 JK Wrangler 

I can not believe nobody at any of these stores could offer the least bit of help. I even told them I wanted to paint bare aluminum and wanted to know what I should use for primer usually the response was "hmmm not sure about aluminum."

Now my next questions is why do people keep saying self etching primer instead of just primer. Is there primer that does not etch the metal? If so why is it neccesary to read the back of the can to find out? Shouldnt it be part of the label? I have never really had to anything but that should be evident by now
Unread 02-14-2010, 11:39 PM   #157
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I can not believe nobody at any of these stores could offer the least bit of help. I even told them I wanted to paint bare aluminum and wanted to know what I should use for primer usually the response was "hmmm not sure about aluminum."

Now my next questions is why do people keep saying self etching primer instead of just primer. Is there primer that does not etch the metal? If so why is it neccesary to read the back of the can to find out? Shouldnt it be part of the label? I have never really had to anything but that should be evident by now
Like I said, get the can pictured above. You can't go wrong with that stuff. The people at the stores are trained to handle basic questions, and let's face it, they don't get many people asking about painting bare aluminum.

I think there is a difference actually. Anything for metal should be self etching, stuff like wood doesn't need it since it is porous, and quite capable of adhering on its own.
Unread 02-14-2010, 11:42 PM   #158
rsbmg
2013 JK Wrangler 

Cool, thanks for the education. I have seen that very can at home depot and almost bought it but just wasn't sure. Thanks again!
Unread 02-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #159
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, no problem. We thought about the heavy rust one, but when I was getting the paint, I was painting steel that had a phosphoric acid bath, and had ZERO rust. They make it is quarts to for a spray gun if you prefer to go about it that way.
Unread 02-15-2010, 08:30 AM   #160
SpeedJeep
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I wonder if there be a winch mount for those of us with a Warn 8274?
SpeedJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #161
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
SEM makes good stuff and are usually not mainstream as they are used in a lot of auto body shops.

Self etching primer contains an acid and a zinc and the acid etches the surface to give the zinc a way to bite into the top few microns of the metal's surface. It is also very porous so your finish coats will sink in and bond to it.

Typically the acid is phosphoric so you can use it on both aluminum and steel. The phosphoric converts the oxides and stops the oxidation process, but won't continue to stop it unless it is top coated fairly soon due to it's porosity.

I did a quick search on the net for SEM self etching primer and came up with many sources.
Unread 02-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #162
rsbmg
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I did a quick search on the net for SEM self etching primer and came up with many sources.
I tried that also sadly when a manufacturers site says here is a list of 1000 stores that carry our product, it only means the store may carry 1 of their products. So you go there and find neon pink rustoleum and thats it.

As it turns out I just needed some education (as do store employees) on what to use. I have seen the Rustoleum bare metal primer at several of the places that told me they didn't know what self etching primer was.

Also mrblain when you get a chance check your pm's I sent you a question about the sliders maybe you could help me with.

Thanks!
Unread 02-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #163
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I tried that also sadly when a manufacturers site says here is a list of 1000 stores that carry our product, it only means the store may carry 1 of their products. So you go there and find neon pink rustoleum and thats it.

As it turns out I just needed some education (as do store employees) on what to use. I have seen the Rustoleum bare metal primer at several of the places that told me they didn't know what self etching primer was.

Also mrblain when you get a chance check your pm's I sent you a question about the sliders maybe you could help me with.

Thanks!
You might get more help from Blaine by making a thread. He prefers to answer specific questions in a way that others can benefit.
Unread 02-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #164
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
No they don't. Use self etching primer, and then the paint of your choice. It is as simple as that.
Thanks. That's what I thought. I have seen it enough time, was just making sure for the hundredth time.
Unread 02-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #165
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboyd View Post
I wonder if there be a winch mount for those of us with a Warn 8274?
TMR makes a steel 8274 winch mount that I beleive will work.

Warn 8274 Jeep TJ Winch Plate - Kit warn 8274 jeep tj winch plate [TMR-DIY Bumper Comp-8274TJ-Kit] - $159.95 : TMR Customs, Custom Fabrication Components for Offroad Vehicles

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.