savvy/currie lift/shock question(s) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > savvy/currie lift/shock question(s)

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-04-2014, 11:56 PM   #1
05LJGUY

savvy/currie lift/shock question(s)

I just bought an LJ but have had "some" experience in the past with a TJ. I'm going the currie/savvy route(except the rokmen control arms which I already have).

I recently installed the full metal cloak system(front arched, rockers, and full mod cut full corners). I have a brand new set if 37s(mtrs) from my recently totaled TJ. I'm keeping the tires and BUILDING 44s as we speak.(Yea I know but that's not my question).

Judging from the 37s on stock suspension in combination with the 1.25" BL(will be here Thurs or fri) and 3" savvy springs I will be ok but semi limited to up travel which I'm fine with. I'm wondering what shocks I can go with to make up with down travel without having to change shock towers immediately. Thanks for any info.

05LJGUY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
05LJGUY

Anyone?
Unread 02-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well... basically what you are asking is if there is one other person out there running your same exact set up and what shocks are they running. That pretty much means you are not going to get much of an answer. What you really need to do is strip out the springs, articulate your axles, measure your extended and compressed lengths and then start researching shocks.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The best would be OME long-travel shocks because they have a compressed length of 15.5" and an extended length of 26.5". You would only need 2" of bump-stop extensions with the OME. If you don't like OME, you could get any bolt on 10" travel shock with 16" compressed length shock and you will need 2.5" bump stop extensions.
afusco1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
05LJGUY

Thanks to both
Unread 02-05-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
chopperkid2000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afusco1222 View Post
The best would be OME long-travel shocks because they have a compressed length of 15.5" and an extended length of 26.5". You would only need 2" of bump-stop extensions with the OME. If you don't like OME, you could get any bolt on 10" travel shock with 16" compressed length shock and you will need 2.5" bump stop extensions.
Just my opinion, I have 4" savvy springs - 26.5 would be long. This is what I run for my 4" springs. 3" might unseat. Would be close
chopperkid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
05LJGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperkid2000 View Post
Just my opinion, I have 4" savvy springs - 26.5 would be long. This is what I run for my 4" springs. 3" might unseat. Would be close
Hmmm...yea I don't know what to do. I already got my control arms and ordered everything else today. The shocks are the last thing I need to figure out and order....just anxious to get everything else on so I can move to the my next project on the jeep
Unread 02-06-2014, 01:02 AM   #8
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperkid2000 View Post
My front Teraflex springs are at 19.5" long and I have 26" length shocks that came with the kit. When the springs are fully expanded, the shock has about .25" of travel left and is perfect. Now the Currie 3" springs have a 20" free length so I would bet that 26"-26.5" would almost be perfect. I bet he would have .5"-1" of shock travel left which could be easily fixed by using an Anti-rock on the second to last hole. As for shock travel when compared to extended and compressed length, there is no better then the OME because of the twin tube design so that would be the shock to give him both the best up travel and down travel.
Unread 02-06-2014, 01:05 AM   #9
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05LJGUY View Post
Hmmm...yea I don't know what to do. I already got my control arms and ordered everything else today. The shocks are the last thing I need to figure out and order....just anxious to get everything else on so I can move to the my next project on the jeep
You could go with a Bilstein or a Fox shock, but the travel you get out of those shocks won't be as good as the OME because of it's twin tube design. They ride well on the road and are very respected on here.
Unread 02-06-2014, 01:16 AM   #10
05LJGUY

Quote:

You could go with a Bilstein or a Fox shock, but the travel you get out of those shocks won't be as good as the OME because of it's twin tube design. They ride well on the road and are very respected on here.
Are the N66L and N67L the ones ur talking about?
Unread 02-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Are the N66L and N67L the ones ur talking about?
Yeah they are.
Unread 02-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #12
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah they are.
Got a link to some for sale? I thought they were discontinued
_KONG_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #13
05LJGUY

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...ks-p-2014.html
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #14
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks. I was hoping i could find them
_KONG_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:25 PM   #15
05LJGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by _KONG_ View Post

Thanks. I was hoping i could find them
Try to call them though, I tried three days in a row and got nothing but the typical "hold while listening to music". I would Def wanna talk to someone before I ordered anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.