For the Savvy amongst us - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > For the Savvy amongst us

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #91
alecmcmahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Other than looks, why? If you want a Smittybilt bumper, go buy one.
????

I dont follow on the smittybilt comment, i never said anything about smitty?!

but

It's opinion, i like the look of the bumper, but personally i think it would look even better with a full grill hoop and stinger, 1) Looks, i think it looks good, 2) Function, it could help in the event of a roll over, steep hills, etc.

Unread 12-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #92
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

"Weight Loss" Estimates

In prep for a hopeful Wednesday Brown Truck delivery, I went ahead and yanked off my current 60" Full Width Hanson Bumper this evening, so I could get everything cleaned up and ready for the new Savvy install.

With just the Bumper, Winch Mount, KC Slimlites (that I'm selling with the Bumper, so I left em on), 2 D-Rings and the Grade8 Mounting Hardware, I was right @ 77lbs.

So at just a smidge under 20lbs for the new Savvy, my front end will be approximately 57 lb's lighter up front !!!

(will be slightly less once I get a replacement set of lights, but still will be 50+ lbs)

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #93
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
In prep for a hopeful Wednesday Brown Truck delivery, I went ahead and yanked off my current 60" Full Width Hanson Bumper this evening, so I could get everything cleaned up and ready for the new Savvy install.

With just the Bumper, Winch Mount, KC Slimlites (that I'm selling with the Bumper, so I left em on), 2 D-Rings and the Grade8 Mounting Hardware, I was right @ 77lbs.

So at just a smidge under 20lbs for the new Savvy, my front end will be approximately 57 lb's lighter up front !!!

(will be slightly less once I get a replacement set of lights, but still will be 50+ lbs)

Just checked UPS tracking and it is due 12/23. The light mounts will be sent as soon as they are finished.

Thanks!

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #94
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post
Just checked UPS tracking and it is due 12/23. The light mounts will be sent as soon as they are finished.

Thanks!
Thanks Gerald... I don't even have a new set of lights picked out yet... I don't know that I'm going to spend the extra $$$ on KC's again as I haven't done much night wheeling, nor have more than a couple times that I've even used the fogs.

The 50+ lbs savings is even a little more than I was expecting. I hadn't had that Hanson off for a couple of years, so I forgot how much it weighed.
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 12-21-2009, 09:57 PM   #95
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow... I read the whole thread, and once again, I am impressed. I love the stuff you guys make for the savvy among us. Maybe after the hoop is put out there I will have to try and convince the Jeeps owner to allow another mod

I have never been a fan of stubbies, especially when I see at least 1 deer per day on the side of the road at about this time of the year. A good looking hoop will protect all that I worry about, the grill and radiator. I couldn't care less if the fenders or windshield go (fenders are more expensive then tubes, and there is no deductible glass insurance).

Blaine, keep the awesomeness coming

Time for teaser shots of that hoop (mid-high gill height, and almost as wide as the wing if possible please )

I don't think I have seen this yet, will you be able to order without the winchmount, and then get that later if needed?
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #96
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecmcmahon View Post
????

2) Function, it could help in the event of a roll over, steep hills, etc.
You and/or anyone else is welcome to disagree with the following, but it's my strongly held personal belief that if you roll hard enough to bring any kind of front hoop into play to save any portion of your rig, there will be a very high probability that the rig will be damaged enough to be undriveable anyway. So what difference does it make and why carry the extra weight around that you don't need?

If weight isn't a concern, then our philosophy is lost on you. That's not meant in a bad way, but there is an experience driven set of ideals for the way we design and build stuff and we work very hard at making certain that we stay as true to them as is possible.
Unread 12-22-2009, 12:40 AM   #97
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Other than looks, why? If you want a Smittybilt bumper, go buy one.
I believe in the actual purpose of a stinger, and not just for looks. The big question is though will the aluminum handle the weight of a Jeep? Stingers usually don't have a whole lot of support. I would guess steel would be better for a stinger.
Unread 12-22-2009, 02:52 AM   #98
unsung

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'll play devil's advocate. I hate chrome, and I hate the look of silver anything on my vehicles. I really like the looks of your sliders though. Is the anodizing holding up on other products (tail lights) to the point where is might be worth it on more products?

I'd love to have a set of black sliders if they are not prone to fading.

Has this been brought up as a possibility? I didn't read every page of this thread to see if it has been discussed.

Thanks!
unsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 04:58 AM   #99
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You and/or anyone else is welcome to disagree with the following, but it's my strongly held personal belief that if you roll hard enough to bring any kind of front hoop into play to save any portion of your rig, there will be a very high probability that the rig will be damaged enough to be undriveable anyway. So what difference does it make and why carry the extra weight around that you don't need?
Agree.

Quote:
If weight isn't a concern, then our philosophy is lost on you. That's not meant in a bad way, but there is an experience driven set of ideals for the way we design and build stuff and we work very hard at making certain that we stay as true to them as is possible.
The philosophy of less weight is not lost completely and nobody is twisting anyone's arm to buy said additional weight. By adding a radiator/winch hoop to a light weight bumper/winch mount, we are still decreasing the overall weight of the total package. Sure, not as much as leaving it off all together but now we have perceived benefits (could be real, see below) and less total weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
I have never been a fan of stubbies, especially when I see at least 1 deer per day on the side of the road at about this time of the year. A good looking hoop will protect all that I worry about, the grill and radiator. I couldn't care less if the fenders or windshield go (fenders are more expensive then tubes, and there is no deductible glass insurance).
Agree.

I would welcome additional protection up front for the very reason stated above (similar to Rokmen Merc GT tube work). Currently, my "rig" spends 95% of it's life on-road. Eventually, it may become more of a trail rig but who does not enjoy cruising around top down/doors off when weather permits?

Smartly designed tube work could be the difference between continuing on down the road after hitting a deer and waiting around for a tow truck.

The bumper functions well (looks good too) as it is. Optional tube work would be icing on the cake.

Last edited by dragginwagon406; 12-22-2009 at 05:13 PM..
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 07:37 AM   #100
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsung View Post
I'll play devil's advocate. I hate chrome, and I hate the look of silver anything on my vehicles. I really like the looks of your sliders though. Is the anodizing holding up on other products (tail lights) to the point where is might be worth it on more products?

Has this been brought up as a possibility? I didn't read every page of this thread to see if it has been discussed.

Thanks!
Just paint them. Self-etching primer and Rustoleum Satin worked great on my sliders. Easy to touch up also.
Unread 12-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #101
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Smartly designed tube work could be the difference between continuing on down the road after hitting a deer and waiting around for a tow truck.
Exactly what I was thinking as I was reading this thread. Currently, I have a Warn bumper/plate and hoop. While not totally thrilled with the looks of the hoop, I have the hope that when the day comes I smash a deer, it will make the difference in saving my radiator and limping home or not.

The old joke around here is that deer hunters waste their time sitting in stands for hours waiting, just drive down any road and in 15 minutes, they will see at least one!

Nice looking bumper. Simple, functional and nice looking.
Unread 12-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #102
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsung View Post

Thanks!
Check out my 2004 Wrecked Rubi Build. Everything is either powder coated or anodized. The anodizing we used on our tail light housing is the best you can get. It is a Mil-spec three stage process that doesn't fade.

As for coating on the sliders YOU can rattle can, powder coat or anodize them. It will be less expensive if you rattle can the parts yourself. The problem with us doing the coatings is after we do it the protection of the product makes the cost of shipping to you guys more expensive and the reality is then we are on the hook for and nick or scrapes. Just some people are so picky that they would want to send the whole package back because of a small nick and expect us to pay for shipping both ways again. We can't afford that yet.

Hope this helps!

Gerald

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 09:05 AM   #103
unsung

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Cool, thanks. I wasn't aware that powdercoating would hold up at all.
unsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #104
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post

Thanks!
Have a tracking number for me, Gerald? And any updates on the hoops?
Thanks
Unread 12-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #105
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGriffith View Post
Have a tracking number for me, Gerald? And any updates on the hoops?
Thanks
I have the advantage of being up the coast from Savvy a few hours (like 7 or 8) and UPS ground from Gerald to me is usually 2 days!
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L

Tags
aluminum , bumper , fairlead , front bumper , savvy , savvy front bumper , winch bumper

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.