For the Savvy amongst us - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > For the Savvy amongst us

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Reply
Unread 12-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #46
atxzj
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SLC, UT, Utah
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Nice! In looking at the inside of that new bumper, I can't even imagine its manufacturing process. Nice design Blaine & Gerald for sure.
blaine,

Whether people agree on the benefits of running aluminum or not, these products have top notch craftsmanship. They are also listed at an unbelievably low price for what you are getting. I may just be ordering a set of blank corners for my build. Hell, I'll at least save on shipping cost

I wish savvy great success in the future.

Marcus

__________________
Old stretch thread: http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403448
New stretch thread: http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=48591
atxzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #47
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er
 
Divinitous's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NY/NJ/PA Tri-State Middletown NY 10941, New York
Posts: 3,186
Looks good. Holding out for a TT though.
__________________
-Ryan
Google Voice (or the number Grape calls when drunk): 845-476-8182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #48
theducksguts
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Posts: 2,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinitous View Post
Looks good. Holding out for a TT though.
Me too, and still saving for the rock sliders. Love it though. Keep up the great work!
__________________
00 XJ Sport 0331 Victim
99 XJ Sport
98 TJ

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #49
ekim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
In a nutshell, what it looks like is someone took a pic of the ORO set up, made a drawing of it and then got it patented and the wording of the patent precludes any use of my sliding latch design. So now I can't ethically use a design I developed so I'm developing another method similar to a locking clutch.
There's a term called "prior art". Basically the guy should have disclosed all similar/related designs. If there is proof of the design (shipping product, publicly disclosed prototypes, etc.) that was out before the patent was *filed* then the company that had the patent granted has nothing to stand on. Now it may not be worth your time and effort to challenge the patent, but I assume it's worth it for ORO..
ekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #50
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim View Post
There's a term called "prior art". Basically the guy should have disclosed all similar/related designs. If there is proof of the design (shipping product, publicly disclosed prototypes, etc.) that was out before the patent was *filed* then the company that had the patent granted has nothing to stand on. Now it may not be worth your time and effort to challenge the patent, but I assume it's worth it for ORO..
Tough Stuff tossed the design into the public domain for all to copy after Tera knocked it off and messed up our license agreements with everyone. In order to get paid, we would have had to shut Tera down and we decided there was little value in throwing good money after bad.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #51
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxzj View Post
blaine,

Whether people agree on the benefits of running aluminum or not, these products have top notch craftsmanship. They are also listed at an unbelievably low price for what you are getting. I may just be ordering a set of blank corners for my build. Hell, I'll at least save on shipping cost

I wish savvy great success in the future.

Marcus
Thanks Marcus, we try pretty hard to keep the quality and design standards as high as possible and still keep everything affordable. My shop tends to hate my guts at times when I spec out a + or - tolerance of .060 and I want it done at competitive prices.

Even though he snivels, his skill level is skyrocketing as he works through our production stuff and in fact his lay-out of the holes on the fairlead mount where it overlaid the winch deck held a tolerance of + or - .010 which is outstanding.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #52
mike_dippert
hodophobic
 
mike_dippert's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...tolerance of + or - .010 which is outstanding.
wish my LOD bumper mounting points had that tight of a tolerance.
__________________
You can't argue with ignorance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #53
dragginwagon406
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
And I'll let you know the weight difference between this and my current stock bumper and Warn mounting plate.

I'm also not painting/coating the bumper, so I'll post up in a few years and show people that the winter road treatments won't do much to the appearance (as it hasn't on the aluminum gas tank skid I've already had for 3 years).
Definitely interested in this post.

Do you daily drive it? If so, how many miles per year? How much of this is during the winter? Are you truly driving nearly every day in the snow belt of Colorado where they use salt, MgCl, etc? Please post pics of the rest of your frame for reference. Thanks.

I really don't want to paint the Savvy sliders and tank skid if I could get away with it - they are works of art. But, I don't want to end up with dust after a few years.
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #54
Zeep
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit rock city
Posts: 836
I mainly run around in the woods here, back east. Any chance of a slightly
wider version?
__________________
JEEP THE AR-15 OF THE AUTOMOTIVE WORLD
Zeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #55
biffgnar
Web Wheeler
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 13,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginwagon406 View Post

I really don't want to paint the Savvy sliders and tank skid if I could get away with it - they are works of art. But, I don't want to end up with dust after a few years.
They definitely are works of art, but they can still look good painted. Pictures of my rocker guards painted in the thread on them. I think they look pretty good. Gas tank skid is sitting in my apartment right now and I will probably not paint it. Bumper has been ordered from Gerald. Will probably paint it similarly to how I did the rocker guards. Will post pictures when done, although it may be a little while as I don't have real good indoor place to work and I hate winter time.
__________________
Thank you Dave Cole, Dynomax, Falken and all the Spec Class sponsors!!
biffgnar is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #56
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeep View Post
I mainly run around in the woods here, back east. Any chance of a slightly
wider version?

That's a tough one. If I make the wings wider, the leverage against them becomes greater if you tag the outer corner and then I have to substantially beef them up. They are short to keep the strength up and the profile low.

If you're asking because you run in the woods, am I to assume you want them wider to smack into trees with?
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #57
Shakey
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginwagon406 View Post
Definitely interested in this post.

Do you daily drive it? If so, how many miles per year? How much of this is during the winter? Are you truly driving nearly every day in the snow belt of Colorado where they use salt, MgCl, etc? Please post pics of the rest of your frame for reference. Thanks.

I really don't want to paint the Savvy sliders and tank skid if I could get away with it - they are works of art. But, I don't want to end up with dust after a few years.
I've daily driven it since 10/2006, 13,000 miles +/- every year. How much of that is winter depends on how much winter we have. My commute is 12 miles on I-25 from one end of Denver to the other, 5 days a week. They use MgCl and gravel/sand, I don't know if they use salt.

My frame looks brand new, there is no rust, except where there are scratches. I wash it every 2-3 weeks and it's parked in a garage at work and home.

My bare aluminum gas tank skid is slightly duller than when I installed it, but I don't exactly scrub it when I wash the Jeep. In contrast, the hitch pin I have is covered in rust after a one-day commute in the snow this winter.

I'll post a few pictures once I receive and install the bumper. I ordered Friday, so maybe it will be here before Christmas.
Shakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #58
Border Dave
Got Sand?
 
Border Dave's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Tough Stuff tossed the design into the public domain for all to copy after Tera knocked it off and messed up our license agreements with everyone. In order to get paid, we would have had to shut Tera down and we decided there was little value in throwing good money after bad.
And this is why I'll never buy anything in my lifetime from companies like that.

Blaine, thanks for the update on the swaybar.
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #59
Zeep
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit rock city
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
That's a tough one. If I make the wings wider, the leverage against them becomes greater if you tag the outer corner and then I have to substantially beef them up. They are short to keep the strength up and the profile low.

If you're asking because you run in the woods, am I to assume you want them wider to smack into trees with?
Not exactly, I try to avoid the trees. Some of the small brush will hang up on the fenders, hence the need for more width!!!
__________________
JEEP THE AR-15 OF THE AUTOMOTIVE WORLD
Zeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #60
LGriffith
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
I'll be waiting to see how that looks.
I've got a while before I can buy any of this great stuff,b ut when I do I can assure you if they have the parts I want my Jeep will be a Savvy Jeep.
I'll be getting one of the first hoops produced, and i'll be sure to post it right up as soon as it's on and as soon as I have some feedback on it.
__________________
04 LJ|2.5" OME|RE arms|1" BL|ROKMEN|Savvy|33" MTZ's
LGriffith LJ Build
LGriffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aluminum , bumper , fairlead , front bumper , savvy , savvy front bumper , winch bumper
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.