Saving up for a lift. Suggestions? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Saving up for a lift. Suggestions?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #31
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

DW doesn't care about height....where's the logic in that?

You won't have wobbles if you use good parts and torque them down. Wobbles are caused by loose or worn parts. Height doesn't matter one bit.

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #32
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you're doing any more than a BB, your links better involve Currie components. I wouldn't buy anything else from now on.
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #33
Stickzz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
m Not otor mount, motor mount lift. It's a spacer that lifts the engine 1". This helps correct drive shaft angle and negates the need for relocating the fan shroud when doing a small body lift.
Oh. I see. Seems logical.

Also had a question for all, the OME kit had a transfer case lowering kit.

Why would I need this?
How necessary is it?

Last edited by Stickzz; 10-19-2012 at 02:57 PM..
Stickzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #34
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickzz

Oh. I see. Seems logical.

Also had a question for all, the OME kit had a transfer case lowering kit.

Why would I need this?
How necessary is it?
When you do a suspension lift you change the drive shaft angle. A case drop is a cheap way of trying to rectify drive line viberation due to steep drive shaft angles.

If you use a motor mount lift with a 2" ome lift then it is very unlikely you will need to use the case drop at all. Usually with a small suspension lift you can stack a couple fender washers between the frame and the transmission skid to minimize the amount of skid drop . Skid drop is undesirable because you lose ground clearance.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #35
Stickzz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
When you do a suspension lift you change the drive shaft angle. A case drop is a cheap way of trying to rectify drive line viberation due to steep drive shaft angles.

If you use a motor mount lift with a 2" ome lift then it is very unlikely you will need to use the case drop at all. Usually with a small suspension lift you can stack a couple fender washers between the frame and the transmission skid to minimize the amount of skid drop . Skid drop is undesirable because you lose ground clearance.
Thanks.
Unread 10-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #36
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlrubicon05 View Post
Explain why Zone or whatever you're pushing is a good product. I can't see why.
For ME it's a good product. It suits my needs and budget. Currie is great no doubt in my mind about that. But your talking out of your *** if your going to say everything inbetween a BB and Currie is junk. Please enlighten me on how everything else is junk
ctorres018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #37
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I went with the Old Man Emu HD 2" lift, and ran 32's without a problem, on stock control arms, steering and drive shafts. I did add the Currie Antirock front sway bar at the same time as the lift. It's a very good lift, ride quality is great, despite it not being Currie. I have since added Rokmen control arms, but it wasn't because I needed them, it was because I wanted them....again, not Currie.

As mentioned if you don't want to mess with the suspension and possibly having to do mess with your pinion angle and such, you could go with metal cloak fenders to get the extra clearance you need.....I've since added the Metal Cloak Overlines up front.

My plan calls for 35's....someday.

You can check my build to see the components I've mentioned.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #38
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

BDS, OME, Zone, JKS...are all good companies. I have BDS springs, JKS BL, front and rear trackbars waiting to be installed. Very high quality and I expect great performance out of them. When people say "Currie is the only option", most of the time they're talking about Johnny Joints. Which I think 90% of this board can agree on that the only joints worth getting are JJ's. Currie, Savvy, Rokmen, Genright...etc all their arms have JJ's.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #39
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm just speaking from experience. I have a RE LA on mine, and my dad was running a RC Series II on his. Both are junk. I've also seen RK and Teraflex products fail. Since the day we installed Savvy's control arms on my dad's, I wouldn't buy anything that doesn't utilize a JJ. Mostly anything else is just a waste of money.
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #40
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm just speaking from experience. I have a RE LA on mine, and my dad was running a RC Series II on his. Both are junk. I've also seen RK and Teraflex products fail. Since the day we installed Savvy's control arms on my dad's, I wouldn't buy anything that doesn't utilize a JJ. Mostly anything else is just a waste of money.
Speaking from experience, sorry I didn't know you've had everything "inbetween" installed on your rig before your currie set up
ctorres018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #41
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I also agree with going with Metal Cloak fenders. Bolt on and allows you to run 33's with NO LIFT whatsoever. And then if you get more funds down the road and want to continue to improve the off road abilities of your Jeep you can then do a proper tummy tuck. A good Tummy tuck will be equal to a 2-3" lift on its own in functionality while keeping a nice low COG. Lifting should be the last thing you do, especially for a DD that will see light/occasioanl offroading.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #42
Stickzz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Question about the metal cloaks, I was told if the tire sticks out past the fender flare, it's illegal/won't pass inspection. How do I see jeeps like that?
Unread 10-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #43
pmcjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickzz
Question about the metal cloaks, I was told if the tire sticks out past the fender flare, it's illegal/won't pass inspection. How do I see jeeps like that?
They sell different width flares to keep you legal.
Unread 10-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #44
OCWrangler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Statement:

Anything between a BB and a full blown hard core offroad all parts included currie kit is crap.

Proof:

Once owned a RE LA lift, and dad has a RC Series II.

Also Savvy's control arms are so good on his dads jeep, that any other companies shocks/springs/control arms/track bars/brackets are now crap.
OCWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #45
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickzz View Post
I run the 6" MC flares, with 15x7 rims with 4" backspacing and 33x10.5" tires Im still under by about an inch. My state is relatively strict on tires sticking out beyond the flares, but some in some states the law is pretty lax on tire/flare laws. Have to check your own states guidelines to see what you can and can't run without the risk of getting pulled over.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.