Saving up for a lift. Suggestions? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Saving up for a lift. Suggestions?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #16
Cavasar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
There is plenty of misinformation here already. Here are some suggestions. Call dpg and order an ome kit, add a 1.25" body lift and 1" motor mount lift. There is nothing wrong with a small body lift, it's when you get over the 1.25" mark problems seem to persist . If your factory lower control arms aren't wore out then don't bother change them until you can afford to buy a set with johnny joints at both ends. The cheap arms offered in kits like zone offer use polyurethane bushings in a tube design that doesn't flex and puts unnecessary stress on mounts causing them to crack, or even fail completely.
I'll be getting all 8 arms from Savvy so that's not an issue for me. He said some offroading but mostly DD on the highway, so I figured he'd be able to buy the arms as he needs and budget allows.

Unread 10-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #17
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickzz View Post
Not really sure, lol, it was my understanding that after 4" or so it happens at high speeds.
Lol well no that's not it. I get that your new its cool I'm not nearly as experienced as other guys around either but death wobble will occur for main reason, track bar, or tires not balanced, or your control arm bushings could be really bad. But lifting your jeep will not get you a death wobble not at 3 inch lift I'm not sure if once you pass a certain height what can happen but 0"-4.5" you are fine. I say that because that's from what I have seen and experienced. I don't know anyone with a lift taller than that nor do I have that so can't tell you anything past that.
And you can get a 3nch suspension lift and also a 1inch BL and be fine. The BL has nothing to do with your suspension. It's actually a pretty good to do a combo lift. 1 inch of a BL means that's one inch less of suspension you need to add. So that means your suspension geometry would be closer to stock. Your can get a 2inch OME suspension lift and a 1 inch BL and have a pretty good lift right their at 3"-3.25 inch. Plenty for 33s and if its your DD. But this is all just my opinion
ctorres018 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #18
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickzz

http://dpgoffroad.com/products/old-m...-wrangler-kit/ -- Correct? This is the kit I've seen. (but this is on the DPG site)

Mind me asking why you prefer DPG?

Edit: Also why would I need motor mounts?
Try this one here. http://dpgoffroad.com/products/old-m...-wrangler-kit/

Not motor mount, motor mount lift. It's a spacer that lifts the engine 1". This helps correct drive shaft angle and negates the need for relocating the fan shroud when boing a small body lift.

Dirk is a great guy to talk to and will explain his suggestions on things like spring rates for your particular application.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
OCWrangler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I was in your boat a while back. I knew I wasnt going to do any extreme offroading, mainly fire roads and desert trails. The lift was going onto a jeep that will see 90% pavement, and I wanted to fit 32/33" tires.

I ended up with the Zone 3" lift for $460, and used the rest of the budget for 5 new tires and spyder trax wheel spacers so I could use my stock wheels. I could be wrong but I think the Zone springs are rebranded BDS springs, and IMO they feel better than the stock ones. I just went with the standard shocks with the kit.

My theory was that for a jeep that is mostly going to see pavement, it would be a better idea to keep it as close to stock as possible while having the ability to put the stock suspension back on if needed. I really cant see the need for $2000 worth of suspension, adjustable arms, track bars, etc. if you arent ever going to flex it out or go over boulders.
OCWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #20
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCWrangler
I was in your boat a while back. I knew I wasnt going to do any extreme offroading, mainly fire roads and desert trails. The lift was going onto a jeep that will see 90% pavement, and I wanted to fit 32/33" tires.

I ended up with the Zone 3" lift for $460, and used the rest of the budget for 5 new tires and spyder trax wheel spacers so I could use my stock wheels. I could be wrong but I think the Zone springs are rebranded BDS springs, and IMO they feel better than the stock ones. I just went with the standard shocks with the kit.

My theory was that for a jeep that is mostly going to see pavement, it would be a better idea to keep it as close to stock as possible while having the ability to put the stock suspension back on if needed. I really cant see the need for $2000 worth of suspension, adjustable arms, track bars, etc. if you arent ever going to flex it out or go over boulders.
I understand your theory all to well. I agree that not everyone needs adjustable control arms and track bars. I do however believe that good shocks and correctly matched springs are something you should never skimp on.
Unread 10-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #21
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you don't want to spend the money on a full Currie and do it right, just stick with a 2" spacer lift. Anything in between the two is just junk.
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #22
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlrubicon05
If you don't want to spend the money on a full Currie and do it right, just stick with a 2" spacer lift. Anything in between the two is just junk.
God I hope that was a bad attempt at satire.
Unread 10-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #23
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlrubicon05 View Post
Everything else is junk?
Explain.
ctorres018 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #24
OCWrangler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Unread 10-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #25
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Explain why Zone or whatever you're pushing is a good product. I can't see why.
Unread 10-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #26
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Explain why Zone or whatever you're pushing is a good product. I can't see why.
There are lot's of good products out there from many manufacturers, old man emu, bds, fox, bilstein, savvy offroad, rokmen, etc. There are quite a few like rokmen and savvy that actually have improved on currie products in fact.

No doubt currie makes good products, but they aren't exactly the only company that does. For you to blindly say that somehow everything else is junk is just flat out narrow minded and naive.

Now I will try to enlighten you a bit. Take currie springs, hey are a good spring no doubt. However they aren't for everyone. The rock Jock spring is progressive, or dual rate . Currie only offering a heavy duty rear spring. Now let's look at what happens if you don't have your rig armored, or a heavy hard top and you add a winch, or like me a v8 swap. What happens is you get about 3" of rake. This is why I favor a quality fixed rate spring like ome. Ome offers several spring rate options for both front and rear so you can level your rig. The thing is every jeep is different because every build is different. This is why a company like currie only offering one option on spring rates is a big negative to me, or the guy that doesn't need the armor, but does have a winch that tanks the front end.

Hopefully we learned something today.
Unread 10-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #27
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
There are lot's of good products out there from many manufacturers, old man emu, bds, fox, bilstein, savvy offroad, rokmen, etc. There are quite a few like rokmen and savvy that actually have improved on currie products in fact.

No doubt currie makes good products, but they aren't exactly the only company that does. For you to blindly say that somehow everything else is junk is just flat out narrow minded and naive.

Now I will try to enlighten you a bit. Take currie springs, hey are a good spring no doubt. However they aren't for everyone. The rock Jock spring is progressive, or dual rate . Currie only offering a heavy duty rear spring. Now let's look at what happens if you don't have your rig armored, or a heavy hard top and you add a winch, or like me a v8 swap. What happens is you get about 3" of rake. This is why I favor a quality fixed rate spring like ome. Ome offers several spring rate options for both front and rear so you can level your rig. The thing is every jeep is different because every build is different. This is why a company like currie only offering one option on spring rates is a big negative to me, or the guy that doesn't need the armor, but does have a winch that tanks the front end.

Hopefully we learned something today.
There is no refference to joints in your statement, so therefore, you must have your blinders on. Why do you want to throw a 3" coil in there and retain the factory control arms and trac bars
Unread 10-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #28
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

There is no refference to joints in your statement, so therefore, you must have your blinders on. Why do you want to throw a 3" coil in there and retain the factory control arms and trac bars
Where did I say anything about a 3" lift? You absolutely don't need adjustable track bars with a small suspension lift. In fact any aftermarket track bar will cause interference with the differential cover or steering without a minimum of 2" of bump stop extension! Redrilling the hole for the front track bar and a bracket for the rear are perfectly acceptable and perfectly functional alternatives.

My blinders wtf are you talking about. You can get Johnny joint control arms from many venders here that have in fact improved the design of the arm by using heavier wall tubing and double adjustment. Yes a jj is a currie part, but the point is a better end product from other manufacturers.
Unread 10-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #29
chachi44089
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The Zone 4.25 combo lift has everything you need and is very good quality at a good price. I like mine, rides like stock. Had a very small vibe under load in first gear so I dropped the t-case skid 3/16" with washers and all is good. I also upgraded to discos instead of links. Its a good kit that has a 1.25 bl, a 1" mml included. With this kit you can always add stuff to it "tummy tuck, controle arms, sye and shaft ect" as you budget allows without needing to change the kit parts.
chachi44089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #30
OCWrangler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Why do you want to throw a 3" coil in there and retain the factory control arms and trac bars
Why do you want to throw a 2" coil spacer in there and retain the factory control arms and trac bars?

Tags
lift , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.